Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 10:05 AM

509 posts, read 735,216 times

Advertisements

This is a brand new campus for Yes Prep just inside Beltway 8 & 290. Somebody I know who is considering this as an alternative to Truitt Middle School asked me about it and I have no info at all on this school or Yes Prep in general. Do any of you know anything about either the new Northwest campus or Yes Prep in general?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 10:53 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
I literally have never heard of this new campus until now and we live nearby.

I have heard of Yes Prep in general though, and one of my grad school peers taught at one in SW Houston for a short time. Long days, hyper-focused on discipline and academic drills.

There is another charter school a mile north on Gessner, Harmony School of Excellence. We knew people who attended Harmony when our section of neighborhood was zoned to Dean Middle, about a decade ago. Most of the students attending there were zoned to the extremely low performing Spring Branch ISD schools south of 290, and I assume that is still the case. Since being rezoned to Cook Middle, I don't know anyone who attends Harmony.

I wonder if it is possible for your friend to request an in-district transfer to Cook. Our neighbors there review it quite favorably. I am wary of charter schools based on the input of my friend who taught at one and families I know who have attended. Too little oversight/certification of faculty and administration with too much rigidity toward students.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:09 PM

9 posts, read 15,625 times
these "overnight" charter schools are everywhere- we had one pop up behind our elementary school in an abandoned hospital- their website even uses it as a bragging line. then they came to our principal asking to use our playground and athletic field and were denied. what was their plan??? of course the plan is to consume our school! it's even in the city's plan for harvey recovery and rebuild- basically it's a continuation of anise parker's 2012 corporate deal with metro, capital one, avenue cdc and kipp/yes charter schools- the plan literally calls for promoting these schools. mayor turner lost the teacher union's endorsement over not stopping charter schools from invading but now i see his hands are tied and the deal was made by our former comptroller to solidify the plans to bring the metro rail to fruition. kathy whitmire was the first to try for light rail in the 80s and instead we got more toll roads and auto dealerships. now the rail is built out and avenue has the developments going and the charters are here to stay. personally i think they're just like hisd schools- some are stellar and some are in an abandoned hospital without greenspace playing in a parking lot.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:13 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Where may I read Annise Parker's old plan? Do you remember its name / what it was called ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelma View Post
these "overnight" charter schools are everywhere- we had one pop up behind our elementary school in an abandoned hospital- their website even uses it as a bragging line. then they came to our principal asking to use our playground and athletic field and were denied. what was their plan??? of course the plan is to consume our school! it's even in the city's plan for harvey recovery and rebuild- basically it's a continuation of anise parker's 2012 corporate deal with metro, capital one, avenue cdc and kipp/yes charter schools- the plan literally calls for promoting these schools. mayor turner lost the teacher union's endorsement over not stopping charter schools from invading but now i see his hands are tied and the deal was made by our former comptroller to solidify the plans to bring the metro rail to fruition. kathy whitmire was the first to try for light rail in the 80s and instead we got more toll roads and auto dealerships. now the rail is built out and avenue has the developments going and the charters are here to stay. personally i think they're just like hisd schools- some are stellar and some are in an abandoned hospital without greenspace playing in a parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston