Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,496,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbjen View Post
And parents are the ones who get to decide whether their children participate in those things.
Yes , the OP didn't specify this but perhaps that is what he was trying to say when he posted about his values. I think some were being a bit harsh when assuming his mention of conservative values was a "dog whistle" for something....

Last edited by Jack Lance; 01-09-2019 at 09:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 08:38 PM

203 posts, read 253,416 times
OP - It will be very very difficult to find a house with 0.75 acre land under $500k in The Woodlands. You *MAY* find something that is outdated in the Grogan Mill area of The Woodlands, but make very sure the property did not flood.

We just moved to The Woodlands 8 months back, so I m not very well qualified to give you suggestions, but this has been my experience from looking at houses in The Woodlands. Real estate in The Woodlands is very crazy. I always heard people saying that houses are very cheap in TX. This does not apply to The Woodlands.

Look at Benders Landing. You may find something there per your requirements AND it is the same school district (Conroe ISD/ CISD). The schools are good from what I heard and it it close to The Woodlands amenities and to Hardy Toll / 99 which can get you into downtown Houston (not sure if it's the correct express way I have mentioned). Look up the location for Benders Landing.

We would have picked Benders Landing bec for us schools are a priority, but we cannot bec of my spouse job (has to stay within a certain radius of The Woodlands front side near I-45).

We were thinking of Magnolia, bec we could get the same house as in The Woodlands plus 3 times the yard for half the price in Magnolia. But schools and commute would have be compromised. IF I had a choice to make without worrying about my spouses job requirements, I would pick Benders Landing, The Woodlands, Magnolia - in that order.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I maybe able to answer them to the best of my knowledge.

Everything said and done - likes others have mentioned it all depends where you will get a job. The commute from DT Houston to The Woodlands was a killer for me when I had to take care of some personal work once and got caught in peak hour traffic - this comes from someone who is used to NYC traffic.

Last edited by notkim; 01-09-2019 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Addition

Old 01-09-2019, 10:37 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,070,126 times
Around 2009 Westside High School had a sizeable conservative student body, as about 10% of the students were pulled out from an Obama speech (300 were pulled out, when Westside had 3,000 students). Other HISD schools had minimal pull-outs https://www.houstonpress.com/news/ho...t-many-6731623

However a lot can change in 9 years...

Old 01-10-2019, 05:53 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
I would never move to an area based on political beliefs. And I gave the OP of this thread advice based on the things that really should matter more than political persuasions of your neighbors (commute, price, lot size)

But I’ll be damned if this wasn’t published In YouTube an hour ago. Maybe consider a move to McKinney??? Sounds bonkers to me... but to each his own...

https://youtu.be/6ANfAR2Kjow
That video is crazy!

Old 01-10-2019, 07:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeMel View Post
No. We don't all know what that "something else" is.

I can define what "liberal values" include without beating around the bush and tap-dancing around.

Respect for the environment.
Respect for equal rights.
Respect for diversity.
Respect for common sense weapons regulations.
Freedom of religion and if desired, freedom FROM religion.
Respect for a woman's right to make decisions about her own body.
Against money being robbed from public education and given to private & religious schools.
Respect for science.
Support for clean energy sources.
Respect for health care as a right for all citizens.
Respect for separation of church and state.
Respect and appreciation for America's long standing allies, not our enemies.

See. That wasn't so hard.

Now. When a person says they can't wait to move from California to Texas because they want to be somewhere more "conservative" - let's hear what that definition of "conservative" is. It's a fair question.
These things just exist in our minds. And have little to no bearing in our daily lives. I feel we are just repeating what the media feeds us.

If someone's sitting in your lawn, with your broad liberal mind are you going to offer him some help?? Or the Conservative is going to apply his "Love thy neighbor" principle?? Both of you are just going to call 911.

If you remember there was just 1 city of Houston during the floods. If they remain that way, then its not profitable .

To remain great and progress further, this illusionary divide must go first.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
These things just exist in our minds. And have little to no bearing in our daily lives. I feel we are just repeating what the media feeds us.

If someone's sitting in your lawn, with your broad liberal mind are you going to offer him some help?? Or the Conservative is going to apply his "Love thy neighbor" principle?? Both of you are just going to call 911.

If you remember there was just 1 city of Houston during the floods. If they remain that way, then its not profitable .

To remain great and progress further, this illusionary divide must go first.

Ditto , why couldn't we just overlook some awkward wording and suggest places we all know he/she was looking for to begin with. Is this how the new Houston majority operates ?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Ditto , why couldn't we just overlook some awkward wording and suggest places we all know he/she was looking for to begin with. Is this how the new Houston majority operates ?
In my earlier posts I specified a couple of places which might suit them.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
In my earlier posts I specified a couple of places which might suit them.

I know shanv3 and if the OP can sift through the flame he/she will find some very good suggestions

Old 01-10-2019, 11:03 AM

10 posts, read 15,968 times
Hey all I didn’t want to turn this into a political thread or debate or whatever. Sorry if my wording upsets any of you. I didn’t have that intention. I’m just simply looking for an area around Houston suburb that would fit my family, have available jobs without crazy commute and good schools and safety for my kids. I appreciate everyone suggestions on the place to live.

On a side note, I do not hate liberals or have anything against their belief. I respect everyone’s opinion and I hope you respect mine too. Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:51 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
It didn't turn political,
I gave you a map that clearly showed where to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston