Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 AM

986 posts, read 1,261,260 times

Advertisements

Some people love living in Houston and some do not. Why are you trying to be convinced to be one of the lovers? If you didn't like liver I wouldn't try to convince you that it is delicious. Nothing is tying you here and you gave it a shot. Go somewhere that will make you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 10:53 AM

940 posts, read 1,892,940 times
Yep as was said the place is mostly populated by ppl from elsewhere, like yours truly, who was born in Atlanta raised in Nashville, spent all my college summers at my parents new (then) relocation to Chicago, Lived in Los Angeles (Redondo Beach) for 3 years, Austin twice, Nashville 3 times.

In fact I seek out the native born here because I am interested in the history of this place more than any other I have lived (except for Nashville) and want to hear their stories.

This city does a lot of things other cities can't do as well like take care of the working class with seriously high paying jobs, many paying over $100,000 with overtime. The open music jams are like nowhere else I have lived. The arts scene is way beyond anything else in the south, and if you haven't taken advantage of that, it's your own fault. That's one of the things Austin residents come here to do. The food here is not lesser than that of New Orleans and Nashville, and people are flying to those cities for the food. Plus they're flying here for medical treatment like nowhere else.

I can agree large swaths of the area are unattractive, but try driving up and down North and South Avenues in the Southampton neighborhood. Or other neighborhoods inside the loop like the River Oaks side streets off Kirby or around Tanglewood. And I must mention that I have 6 acres of forested land with a residence on a creek in Montgomery county, 40 miles from downtown, 36 from my home; considering buying the 3 acres next door. Is that even possible near any of those California coastal cities? Don't think so.

And your mentioning of the parks. Really? Memorial Park is being reconfigured at present. Buffalo Bayou Park is a long linear park just finished 3 years ago and built with private money. The lakeside at Hermann Park was redesigned and reconfigured maybe 6 years ago and a lot or private money went into that. The McGovern Gardens was completely reconfigured 4 years ago and is an amazing design if you ask me and still being expanded, have you been there? Have you been to a show at Miller Outdoor Theater? I've never seen a public park with a theater like it. And the two largest Houston parks both have golf courses. And as for the beaches, here they look great at night with a full moon and you can drive onto them and go swimming (what a concept). Try doing that in CA. If you want lighter colored sand and bluer water go to Corpus/Port A 3 hours drive from many parts of the Houston metro.

Here is the link to Hermann Park Conservancy: https://www.visithoustontexas.com/li...nn-park/20202/

link to culture map CultureMap Houston

BTW I literally did a take when you mentioned "Houston skyline" trying to understand exactly. The city has 7~8 skylines, 3 of which you can see from the hillside at Miller Outdoor..

Last edited by groovamos; 01-18-2019 at 11:49 AM..

Old 01-18-2019, 11:35 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,005,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
I’ve lived all over the world on several continents, for work, school and curiosity. Some of the places I’ve lived haven’t been particuarly desirable, but most have been.

Most places, I’m able to adapt to within a couple of months. Most recently, for example, Los Angeles. I still adore that city, and miss the energy, pace, vibe, diversity of lifestyles, and general “don’t give a damn” attitude. Not to mention, L.A. is a culinary paradise, only rivaled in this country by NYC and the SF Bay Area. I don’t miss the toxic management at work, but my coworkers were beyond amazing and engaging. Even as an introvert, I made friends in L.A., almost without trying—many through work. I don’t miss California’s liberal politics, but life shouldn’t be, and is never, all about politics anyway. I had a great life there overall (it helps that I had nothing to do with the collectively narcissistic entertainment industry) and knew I’d miss aspects of it when I moved.

Well, by contrast, I’ve fairly recently moved from L.A. to Houston for work and even to be around more conservatives. For all the talk of Southern hospitality, I find the women far less approachable and more b**chy, the coworkers far less social and sociable (they’re polite but distant), the people in Meetup groups less engaging, and the Texas collective-cultural mindset one of strange braggadocio about the state (Texas isn’t the only state with an incredibly rich history and to have once been an independent country, you know). Not to mention, the city isn’t particularly attractive, downtown is dead after 6pm, and even the park system here is rather grungy and poorly maintained. The nearby Gulf coastal areas are some of the truly ugliest coastal-front areas I’ve seen anywhere on the planet. Many of the drivers are absolutely incompetent and unnecessarily impatient (they can be impatient, but extremely skilled and competent, in L.A.) Customer service in general here is less customer-focused and more aloof than back in California or other places, be it in a restaurant, grocery store, furniture delivery, etc.

I guess...at least the Tex-Mex is good...?! And, Austin, somewhat overrated in its own right, is 2-2.5 hours away...?! Oh, the Houston skyline is at least attractive.

Anyway, I don’t want to write Houston, and Texas, off just yet, as I’m still relatively new here, but my patience is also waning rather quickly, already. I want to see why Houstonians and Texans love their home as much as they seem to, and that they’re as friendly as they purport themselves to be. However, I’m just not “getting” it so far.

Please help.

You dont have good colleges or the trendy stuff like in CA, but its very good for people with families, much safer and filled with opportunities. I travelled to liberal paradises of CA and HI and while I was impressed, prices/COL were almost double to what I pay here. The drivers were total idiots with no regards to speed limit or lane discipline.

Each of the cities have their pros and cons and it would only turn out to an Apples and Oranges comparison.

[Mod cut: rude]

Last edited by elnina; 01-19-2019 at 06:22 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 12:06 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,671,788 times
News Flash, people suck at driving everywhere and whereever you most recently drive is where you will hate on them the most. If you really want to see **** drivers come down to the border where people are either driving half the speed limit because they cant risk geting pulled over and deported or they blow through red lights like they never heard of the things.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:31 PM

23,738 posts, read 14,854,098 times
Been here, in and out, since 1947.

Coming back is always culture shock.

Having been transferred all over for 40 years, IMO, it takes 5 years to really get comfortable with a place.

Houston was founded on a swamp by real estate developers. Nothing's changed.

For years, all the transplants were from Someplace, Texas. In the last 25 years, people come from all over the world. They bring their habits, good and bad with them.

You can't beat the food or music, any kind you want. World class ballet, too.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:34 PM

4,874 posts, read 10,013,812 times
Don't forget that the Anglos who settled Texas (as the Mexican government couldn't find enough people to move there) came from all over the South - Tennessee, Virginia, etc. And their slaves came with them...

We've always had people from elsewhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
For years, all the transplants were from Someplace, Texas. In the last 25 years, people come from all over the world. They bring their habits, good and bad with them.

Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,324,164 times
This is no doubt a troll post anyway. The OP is looking for reactions. In the Houston VS. LA poll thread he wrote basically the same thing. On that thread, I said:

"I do live in Houston (Willowbend) and I was born and raised in the LA area (Torrance to be exact). Im liberal, never shot a gun, hate country music, and Im Arab decent.

I love living in Houston and I have no intention of ever going back to LA. Below is why.

I personally have found Houston more laid back than LA. LA is more so on the surface, but the people here are very "come as you are". You can go out all dolled up or show up at a bar in PJ's and still have a great time. Houston is also exceptionally diverse (not as much as LA but still very diverse) and that allows for a great selection of different types of food, different type of people to talk to, and its one of the most ethnically integrated cities in the country.

Its, IMO, the best bang for your buck city in the country with the exception of Chicago. Its cheap but still has great amenities like an excellent culinary scene, great museums, it never really gets cold, an airport with extensive service, and a good freeway system.

As for the Texas attitude, yeah it exists but in the 10 years Ive been in Texas (Dallas and Houston) Ive had one derogatory comment about being from California. I find most of it around here is tongue in cheek anyway. There are so many people here from all over the world and the US here. Thinking that everything is culturally "Texan" here with few exceptions is ludicrous.

Of course LA has more energy than Houston does. I dont think anyone would deny that. LA has way more tourist appeal. LA is a more desirable city. But I stand by my assertion that what you get for your money in Houston far outweighs what LA offers by the same metric.

If I were a millionaire, Id move back. Even off my 170k salary, I like living here."

Old 01-18-2019, 02:56 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 489,981 times
Please go back to LA. All of these people here and you can’t find a group of friends or women to date with similar interests...hmm. Clearly you haven’t tried, to indirectly say the food scene is sub par. Main Street downtown is always busy after 6PM. Maybe try soul searching...

And I’m not a native Houstonian or Texan.

Last edited by kwr; 01-18-2019 at 03:38 PM..

Old 01-18-2019, 03:41 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,709,849 times
It is not as easy to meet people in Houston as it is in many other parts of the country. This has to do with the way the city is set up, imho, which in turn affects and shapes the culture. That said, there are a lot of cool people here--it just takes time and persistence to find people you really connect with. You are right about the geography and the coast--it's nothing to rave about. I don't think you should whine about the food, the nightlife and the culture so much, though. It is not LA but our food culture is getting rave reviews from the most respected food critics in the world. I can't imagine you know more than they do about food. Finally, the museums, the music (which is, yes, not as good as Austin, but still better than most cities) and the cultural resources here are better than most places. If you have to have it better than "better than most places" then I can't imagine what you must think of yourself, let alone others in the world around you.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:19 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,415,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaBravoCharles View Post
Please help.
Where, specifically, do you live? Just say a freeway nearby if you don't really know what it's called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston