Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 12:38 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think is hilarious how republicans dismiss her just because she's a young minority woman.

If she magically changed to an old white guy, same people would be praising her.
She's 27 with no experience. Plenty of reason to question someone suddenly put in charge of a billion dollar business. Doesn't matter how smart she is if she doesn't know what she's doing.

Hilarious how Democrats embrace someone just because they are a young minority or have a minority sounding name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 12:53 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Hilarious how Democrats embrace someone just because they are a young minority or have a minority sounding name.
I wonder how the primaries went?

I voted for Hidalgo on partisan lines, simply because of the "D" marker. Congress et al had been voting on heavily partisan lines, so some dems voted accordingly.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:07 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
It looks like she may be reneging on her campaign and post election position, that the renovation of the Astrodome was a settled matter...How could she not have known the scope of that renovation before now ?

Last edited by Jack Lance; 02-01-2019 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-01-2019, 03:53 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
She's 27 with no experience. Plenty of reason to question someone suddenly put in charge of a billion dollar business. Doesn't matter how smart she is if she doesn't know what she's doing.
I've known people that have been 20+ years in their job and all they know is to complain and blame other people

Old 02-01-2019, 04:40 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I've known people that have been 20+ years in their job and all they know is to complain and blame other people
What's that got to do with someone with no experience suddenly running a billion dollar operation?

Old 02-01-2019, 06:59 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
It looks like she may be reneging on her campaign and post election position, that the renovation of the Astrodome was a settled matter...How could she not have known the scope of that renovation before now ?
I too would have questioned the usefulness of spending $105M so we could have some parking and a huge indoor space that isn't going to be air conditioned.

This is going to work for, what, four months out of the year?

Considering that the issue that actually went before the voters was voted down, this should earn her more respect than it loses.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:50 PM

6,288 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I too would have questioned the usefulness of spending $105M so we could have some parking and a huge indoor space that isn't going to be air conditioned.

This is going to work for, what, four months out of the year?

Considering that the issue that actually went before the voters was voted down, this should earn her more respect than it loses.
It probably is a political calculation on her part, but highly disingenuous. Those plans were voted on unanimously by Commissioners Court over a year ago before any campaigning started. Did she just not look under the hood, or did she decide not to take the political risk of opposing the new plans during the campaign, and alienating what is a sizable political block that may have been energized against her. Even after she was elected in her first interview she stated that the issue of the Astrodome was settled, and that work on the renovation had already started. Maybe her new out of town friends persuaded her otherwise.

To me it's a case of meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:57 PM

2,068 posts, read 998,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
So why not see what she has or has not accomplished by the next election and decide then, rather than critique after one month on the job? Or are you just going to vote for the next candidate with "R" next to their name?

Why not? Ms Hidalgo got elected because of the D next to her name.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Why not? Ms Hidalgo got elected because of the D next to her name.
That was my reply to Houston parent's response. Basically the same thing you just stated.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:39 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
And then people wonder why we have idiots running the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston