Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 10:05 PM

10 posts, read 21,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Yes, join HGLP on FB if you want to reach out to people with firsthand experience. We are a gay family in Meyerland (77096), and the nearby 77035 zip (Westbury, Willowbend) would fit what you need. I agree with the other poster who said mid-200s will be tight in this area (and even more so in Austin!), but the elementary and middle school for 77035 (Parker Elem, Red Elem, Meyerland MS) are good. I doubt you need to worry about anything past elementary unless you really plan to stay in the house for many years. Most likely this will be your first house, and you will "move up" way before that happens.

I notice on the HGLP page that there seem to be lots of lesbian families in Cypress and Pearland. Honestly, I don't get it, except that people can have sticker shock by how (not) far their money goes the closer to town you get!

Another area of consideration is the Eastwood area in 77023. While the schools leave something to be desired, you can use the HISD lottery to get into a better school not too far away. And you are definitely among friends there .

Thank you so much for this info!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 10:07 PM

10 posts, read 21,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I know a surprising amount of LGBT families (two parents and kids) in the North and NW Houston areas (basically within 2-3 miles of 1960 between 290 and 45). I have no idea why that area!

It's also the reason why almost every LGBT centric church is located within a few miles of 290 and 610 (There are 4 at the moment). They want to be close to Montrose (which is no longer the gayborhood it once was), but also close to where most people live.

Southwest suburbs are more popular with latino lgbt, but most of the white/african-american families seem to prefer the NW suburbs. I'm guessing it is just where jobs and housing seem to work. Most of the houston gay community is not as high-earning as you'll find in DFW or Austin. Of course there are the rich folks in Houston, but the majority of the community is nurses, teachers, retail, more middle-income.

Austin has a lot of californians. Teacher pay in metro Austin is awful!
Thank you for the advice! We will definitely look into these areas!

Old 02-07-2019, 10:51 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
^ I wouldn't recommend Pearland.

Surprised no one has mentioned Montrose.

Montrose is a great area, but if you're suggesting it as the 'gayborhood' of Houston, that title is really only in name only other than the fact Montrose still houses most of the prominent gay bars in town on Pacific St, it's just most of the people I've met that are under 40 typically don't live in Montrose, and even those that are over 40 don't either about half the time. Essentially, Montrose has outlived its gay persona somewhat due to gentrification, and really, as tolerance continues to increase across the board, the idea of a singular gay community as a safe space is becoming outdated and passe even.

Old 02-08-2019, 01:47 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,724,671 times
I have often wondered if a liberal suburban area exists in Houston but most people tell me no, there isn’t one area. It would be useful to have some sort of sense of what the most progressive suburban areas would be. To the OP, I would suggest just renting in the Oak Forest/garden Oaks area. The houses are super expensive there, but renting would get you out of the burbs.

Last edited by jerbear30; 02-08-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 02-08-2019, 02:48 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
I have often wondered if a liberal suburban area exists in Houston but most people tell me no, there isn’t one area. It would be useful to have some sort of sense of what the most progressive suburban areas would be. To the OP, I would suggest just renting in the Oak Forest/garden Oaks area. The houses are super expensive there, but renting would get you out of the burbs.
What do you consider suburban? North Katy would be, right? It's very liberal, at least politically. So are most of the middle suburbs, except on the west side, where it's more purple politically. And then there's good chunks of Fort Bend as well.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:09 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
It's also the reason why almost every LGBT centric church is located within a few miles of 290 and 610 (There are 4 at the moment).
Not sure where you’re moving from, but the fact that there are numbers of LGBT churches should give some insight into the local culture.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:24 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,191,612 times
Oh, for crying out loud - go for the best school district you can for the money. No one is going to try and investigate your bedroom arrangements. If I had two women (or men) move next door and they had a child - I would assume (without really caring) that one was a single parent. If I was informed otherwise, I would shrug. That's Houston.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:36 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
The site below shows a map of Houston voting precinct results for the 2012 election. The blue surburbs inside 610 are liberal voters with money (Montrose, Midtown, Heights). The red dots inside 610 are fairly wealthy conservaties (West U, Bellaire, River Oaks, Afton Oaks). The blue suburbs outside the loop are poor Democrats (Westbury, Sharpstown, Mission Bend, all of east Houston) . The red dots are poor redneck Republicans (Pasadena, Deer Park, Friendswood, Sugarland, Katy, Jersey Village).

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Westbury poor? Have you looked at prices of homes in that area? That's where I grew up. Westbury, Sharpstown, Mission Bend, east of Houston? Uh...you mean west of Houston. Sugarland poor? Have you even been to Sugarland? It's extremely upscale. Not that poor is a problem...it's just that your misinformation is a problem.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2019 at 01:32 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 11:45 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackdog View Post
The site below shows a map of Houston voting precinct results for the 2012 election. The blue surburbs inside 610 are liberal voters with money (Montrose, Midtown, Heights). The red dots inside 610 are fairly wealthy conservaties (West U, Bellaire, River Oaks, Afton Oaks). The blue suburbs outside the loop are poor Democrats (Westbury, Sharpstown, Mission Bend, all of east Houston) . The red dots are poor redneck Republicans (Pasadena, Deer Park, Friendswood, Sugarland, Katy, Jersey Village).

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Is it too difficult to tell people that Houston is different from most American cities?

Based on that page, 60% of people in my area are republican
There’s a gay couple that lives in my neighborhood that also goes to the same church I go to
And there’s also a gay bar a couple of miles from house

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2019 at 01:32 AM..

Old 02-10-2019, 07:30 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
Am I the only one who opened this thread wondering what
“post-LGBT” meant???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston