Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2019, 12:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 980,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Ed Emmett wouldn't have held a press conference to discuss Houston area air quality data without actually looking at the air quality data or even checking to see if it was available and published.
Do you know why there's no data? Because of Ed Emmett and his defective culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 12:26 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Do you know why there's no data? Because of Ed Emmett and his defective culture.
Why are you trying to blame Lina's incompetence on someone else? If she couldn't handle the job she shouldn't have run for office. Ed Emmett didn't cause a lack of experience on Lina's part, he hasn't been in office since she took over. Stop trying to pass off her failures onto other people, you sound like an Obama supporter trying to blame his failures on anyone and everyone except him.

Lina Hidalgo is the Harris County Judge, she's in charge now.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Why are you trying to blame Lina's incompetence on someone else? If she couldn't handle the job she shouldn't have run for office. Ed Emmett didn't cause a lack of experience on Lina's part, he hasn't been in office since she took over. Stop trying to pass off her failures onto other people, you sound like an Obama supporter trying to blame his failures on anyone and everyone except him.

Lina Hidalgo is the Harris County Judge, she's in charge now.
Why is the air quality monitor inactive? Because the county and the state chose to ignore air quality to benefit industry.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Why is the air quality monitor inactive? Because the county and the state chose to ignore air quality to benefit industry.
The air quality monitoring station that's located in Deer Park is owned and maintained by a 3rd party company and nobody on Lina's brilliant staff though to check to make sure it was online or that it's data had been captured and released until that KPRC reporter asked them during the press conference. Lina then lied and said the data was available when it wasn't. Educate yourself.

Old 03-20-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
The air quality monitoring station that's located in Deer Park is owned and maintained by a 3rd party company and nobody on Lina's brilliant staff though to check to make sure it was online or that it's data had been captured and released until that KPRC reporter asked them during the press conference. Lina then lied and said the data was available when it wasn't. Educate yourself.
You're more upset at a new judge for being unprepared than you are at the guy who was supposed to be protecting the county and failed to for over a decade

Look up his comments about the Hurricane Harvey flood victims

Old 03-20-2019, 12:38 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Quote:
You're more upset at a new judge for being unprepared than you are at the guy who was supposed to be protecting the county and failed to for over a decade

Look up his comments about the Hurricane Harvey flood victims
Hey now, he was busy trying to get the Astrodome cleaned up just enough so that we could, uh, shelter-in-place inside of it, I guess

Old 03-20-2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not talking about Ed Emmett, if you'd like to discuss his time as County Judge start a thread about it. I'm talking about the failures of the current County Judge, it's possible to be upset about both ya know.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:15 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,048,608 times
lol @ this thread. All this is, is the OP trying to use this incident to say "I told you so". But the reality is that these chemical fires happen quite a bit in the Houston area. I'm willing to bet that he had nothing to say about leadership's response to the huge warehouse fire last year, the Arkema chemical explosion in 2017, the 2005 Texas City plant explosion, the 1999 or 1989 Philips explosions (which caused deaths), or any of the other multitudes of chemical fires and explosions that anyone who's lived here any length of time understand happen from time to time.

The reason why? All of those explosions/fires, some with loss of life, occurred under Ed Emmett, Robert Eckels, and Jon Lindsay - all Republicans. Even though Texas City is in Galveston County, I'm 99% sure that there was a Republican County Judge there at the time. Where was the outrage toward Ed Emmett during Arkema? Oh, there wasn't any because most of us understood there wasn't a thing he could do about it at that time.

Jon Lindsay was first elected County Judge in 1975. It is now 2019. That's 44 years straight of Republican county leadership and we have had plenty of explosions. So how exactly, is Lina Hidalgo responsible for anything having to do with this fire, regardless of how one might feel about her response to it? What, exactly, is she supposed to do?

All of this complaining about Lina is pure political pettiness at this point. If there's an action she needed to take and did not take it, that's one thing. Her being unaware of air quality results is certainly not ideal, but its far from some unforgivable sin proving she's not up to the task. All the preparation in the world and her knowing the status of those air quality results would not change a thing about the outcome.

Quite honestly I'm far more concerned about how to improve industrial safety going forward, as well as digging deeper into why TCEQ thought it appropriate not to accept additional help from NASA to monitor air pollution after Harvey. People in Texas are used to a lax environmental regulatory environment, and my hypothesis is that both the Harvey emissions and the emissions associated with this event are far worse than officials are letting on. When PM10 and PM2.5 from cars is a known health hazard, and this fire belched out huge amounts of heavier-than-air particulate matter, someone isn't telling the truth when they say "nothing to see here". You might not keel over and die immediately, but there is nothing good about breathing the derivatives of black smoke, and they DO reach the ground as much as state officials would love us to believe they just drift off into the atmosphere harmlessly.

Looking into things like that is immensely more useful than wasting time b****ing about a politician you don't like (and that goes for those who want to bring everything back to Trump as well - equally pointless).

Last edited by Mr. Clutch; 03-20-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 01:26 PM

675 posts, read 1,453,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
lol @ this thread. All this is, is the OP trying to use this incident to say "I told you so". But the reality is that these chemical fires happen quite a bit in the Houston area. I'm willing to bet that he had nothing to say about leadership's response to the huge warehouse fire last year, the Arkema chemical explosion in 2017, the 2005 Texas City plant explosion, the 1999 or 1989 Philips explosions (which caused deaths), or any of the other multitudes of chemical fires and explosions that anyone who's lived here any length of time understand happen from time to time.

The reason why? All of those explosions/fires, some with loss of life, occurred under Ed Emmett, Robert Eckels, and Jon Lindsay - all Republicans. Even though Texas City is in Galveston County, I'm 99% sure that there was a Republican County Judge there at the time. Where was the outrage toward Ed Emmett during Arkema? Oh, there wasn't any because most of us understood there wasn't a thing he could do about it at that time.

Jon Lindsay was first elected County Judge in 1975. It is now 2019. That's 44 years straight of Republican county leadership and we have had plenty of explosions. So how exactly, is Lina Hidalgo responsible for anything having to do with this fire, regardless of how one might feel about her response to it? What, exactly, is she supposed to do?

All of this complaining about Lina is pure political pettiness at this point. If there's an action she needed to take and did not take it, that's one thing. Her being unaware of air quality results is certainly not ideal, but its far from some unforgivable sin proving she's not up to the task. All the preparation in the world and her knowing the status of those air quality results would not change a thing about the outcome.

Quite honestly I'm far more concerned about how to improve industrial safety going forward, as well as digging deeper into why TCEQ thought it appropriate not to accept additional help from NASA to monitor air pollution after Harvey. People in Texas are used to a lax environmental regulatory environment, and my hypothesis is that both the Harvey emissions and the emissions associated with this event are far worse than officials are letting on. When PM10 and PM50 from cars is a known health hazard, and this fire belched out huge amounts of heavier-than-air particulate matter, someone isn't telling the truth when they say "nothing to see here". You might not keel over and die immediately, but there is nothing good about breathing the derivatives of black smoke, and they DO reach the ground as much as state officials would love us to believe they just drift off into the atmosphere harmlessly.

Looking into things like that is immensely more useful than wasting time b****ing about a politician you don't like (and that goes for those who want to bring everything back to Trump as well - equally pointless).
Shut it down - this is the best response of all.

Old 03-20-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post

Quite honestly I'm far more concerned about how to improve industrial safety going forward, as well as digging deeper into why TCEQ thought it appropriate not to accept additional help from NASA to monitor air pollution after Harvey. People in Texas are used to a lax environmental regulatory environment, and my hypothesis is that both the Harvey emissions and the emissions associated with this event are far worse than officials are letting on. When PM10 and PM50 from cars is a known health hazard, and this fire belched out huge amounts of heavier-than-air particulate matter, someone isn't telling the truth when they say "nothing to see here". You might not keel over and die immediately, but there is nothing good about breathing the derivatives of black smoke, and they DO reach the ground as much as state officials would love us to believe they just drift off into the atmosphere harmlessly.

I've been critical of Houston area and Harris County leadership as long as I've lived in Texas, I'm also critical of Montgomery County leadership which is where my primary residence is located now and last time I checked it's pretty much all GOP leadership up here. Once again, stop trying to turn this into a conversation that it isn't, I'm talking about Lina's poor showing during the press conference that I linked in Post #1 along with her incompetent staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston