Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 08:39 AM

55 posts, read 51,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
Think you and a few other posters are missing the point. Relocating form Boston (the 3rd most expensive city in the US behind San Francisco and NY — Yes, Boston is more expensive than Los Angeles), I was surprised how expensive Houston is INSIDE the loop considering all the low cost of living headlines. You have to live far in the suburbs to get cheap housing here. It is difficult to find a nice home in any of the good neighborhoods inside the loop for <$800k. Even at that price, you most likely will end up in a townhouse. From a rental perspective, downtown has the highest avg rent at $2k a month for a 1 bdrm. When you factor in the low cost suburbs, the metro area looks deceivingly low.

Exactly. The problem is Houston has a reputation as a low COL area-- which is completely false. When people say that they often don't mean "Houston" but rather "the surburbs surrounding Houston where you have to commute for an hour in traffic" are low COL. A lot of these suburbs are their own cities so they aren't even part of the city of Houston. When you get to prices in the half-million dollar range for homes inside and just outside the loop-- Houston is no longer low COL and is in fact much higher priced than other cities in Texas.

There are many metro areas in Texas-- Fort Worth, Austin (consider 183, 290, 360 a loop), San Antonio, even Dallas where you can buy a house inside their loops for much less than a half-million dollars.

This isn't a slight on Houston-- the city has a lot of things going for it. But low COL needs to stop being mentioned as one of those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 09:06 AM

348 posts, read 460,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The same is true pretty much anywhere. Close in nice neighborhoods are a lot more expensive than the average. Houston's pricier neighborhoods are less pricey than similar areas in almost all other major metros (and a lot less than the east and west coasts) and the suburbs are less expensive than comparable suburbs elsewhere.
Exactly! I'm a little confused. Close in nice neighborhoods everywhere are expensive, even in random places that are not NY or Cali.

As someone who has lived in both the Boston and NYC metro areas, the Houston area is definitely cheaper to me. NYC and Boston area property taxes are lower, yes, NJ property taxes are about the same, if not higher. Plus income tax. You tend to use more gas in Houston, so that's higher. The big thing I look at is property though. The Houston area was even cheaper than the Dallas area when I searched last year.

Someone complained about using the term "Houston" when not looking in Houston proper, but that's just how it is. It's the same way everywhere. People looking in Boston are not necessarily looking in Boston proper. People in lots of places are commuting an hour or so, whether by train, car, bus or ferry. This is not limited to Houston.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:22 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
Exactly! I'm a little confused. Close in nice neighborhoods everywhere are expensive, even in random places that are not NY or Cali.

As someone who has lived in both the Boston and NYC metro areas, the Houston area is definitely cheaper to me. NYC and Boston area property taxes are lower, yes, NJ property taxes are about the same, if not higher. Plus income tax. You tend to use more gas in Houston, so that's higher. The big thing I look at is property though. The Houston area was even cheaper than the Dallas area when I searched last year.

Someone complained about using the term "Houston" when not looking in Houston proper, but that's just how it is. It's the same way everywhere. People looking in Boston are not necessarily looking in Boston proper. People in lots of places are commuting an hour or so, whether by train, car, bus or ferry. This is not limited to Houston.
Most people know Boston, NY/NJ and the majority of California (including suburbs in these areas) have a high cost of living. You are confused because you are overlooking the point that Houston is viewed overall as having low COL. It’s misleading! I explained this in my previous post. See asknow123’s posts as well. Only the suburbs have low COL like Cypress where you live. There are many other places in the country with lower COL compared to inside the loop.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Most people know Boston, NY/NJ and the majority of California (including suburbs in these areas) have a high cost of living. You are confused because you are overlooking the point that Houston is viewed overall as a low COL and it’s not. I explained this in my previous post. Only the suburbs are low COL like Cypress where you live.
I am not confused though. The Boston, NYC, NJ suburbs are all quite expensive, compared to the Houston suburbs. That's what we are saying. Houston proper nice neighborhoods are still somewhat cheaper than comparable neighborhoods in NY and California for what you get.

I don't think anyone expects every single corner of Houston to be low COL, There are expensive areas everywhere. But compared to the east and west coast city proper, Houston proper is still cheaper for what you get.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:33 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbf2006 View Post
I am not confused though. The Boston, NYC, NJ suburbs are all quite expensive, compared to the Houston suburbs. That's what we are saying. Houston proper nice neighborhoods are still somewhat cheaper than comparable neighborhoods in NY and California for what you get.

I don't think anyone expects every single corner of Houston to be low COL, There are expensive areas everywhere. But compared to the east and west coast city proper, Houston proper is still cheaper for what you get.
Duh, the point of this thread is not to say the nice neighborhoods inside the loop are more expensive than comparable neighborhoods in the NE or West. The point of the thread rather is to highlight that it is deceiving to say Houston has a low COL. You are confused and I hope this now makes sense.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:40 AM

243 posts, read 268,100 times
There are many decent neighborhoods inside the city limits (Houston proper) that aren’t considered expensive. Stop excluding everything outside loop 610

Old 03-27-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Duh, the point of this thread is not to say the nice neighborhoods inside the loop are more expensive than comparable neighborhoods in the NE or West. The point of the thread rather is to highlight that it is deceiving to say Houston has a low COL. You are confused and I hope this now makes sense.
LOL Ok, thanks for the information. I didn't realize there are people out there that don't know there are expensive areas in every decent city.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,486 times
Quote:
Which is a strawman, because these comparisons focused strictly in terms involving other major metros.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:47 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
Stop excluding everything outside loop 610
Much of Houston outside 610 combines the less desirable elements of big city life (e.g. trash, crime) with the less desirable elements of suburban life (e.g. sprawl, car dependency) into one. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:35 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,853,789 times
For a city of its size Houston is very cheap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston