Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 03:41 PM

925 posts, read 4,707,294 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I was calculating my Tax for last year (2018) and realized that my property tax went up $300 a year. This is insane amount even though I have homestead exception.

I have contacted Conner and Associates and they did not do anything.

I have contacted AppealPropertyTax.com and they did not do anything.

Is there any reason to own a home these days? If I even pay my house in few years then in the near future the property tax will reach the mortgage amount.

I read about the bill which will cap the property tax increase to 2.5% instead of 10% (current). Here is the link to the bill. What do you think? Mayor Sylvester Turner and Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo is already working on getting RID of this bill or oppose this bill.

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/a...x-reform-bill/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2019, 04:02 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi,

I was calculating my Tax for last year (2018) and realized that my property tax went up $300 a year. This is insane amount even though I have homestead exception.

Is there any reason to own a home these days? If I even pay my house in few years then in the near future the property tax will reach the mortgage amount.

I read about the bill which will cap the property tax increase to 2.5% instead of 10% (current). Here is the link to the bill. What do you think? Mayor Sylvester Turner and Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo is already working on getting RID of this bill or oppose this bill.

Your property tax went up by $300? that's not a lot. Mine has consistently gone up by $400 to $600 per year as property values rise.

The new law doesn't cap increases at 2.5%, it requires a tax election if a taxing entities tax revenue goes up by 2.5% over the prior year. You are confusing that with the 10% cap on homesteaded property year on year increases.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:11 PM

>> Your property tax went up by $300? that's not a lot. Mine has consistently gone up by $400 to $600 per year as >>property values rise.

Is there any point of owning a property in Houston? The property does not gain equity at a decent rate. Also the tax is too high and it will eventually reach mortgage payment.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:24 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
>> Your property tax went up by $300? that's not a lot. Mine has consistently gone up by $400 to $600 per year as >>property values rise.

Is there any point of owning a property in Houston? The property does not gain equity at a decent rate. Also the tax is too high and it will eventually reach mortgage payment.
Move to California and buy a closet for the price of a home in Houston and pay thousands in state income tax.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:27 PM

At least properties in CA gain equity much quickly than Texas!!

Old 03-31-2019, 04:51 PM

243 posts, read 267,979 times
Houston has such a lowwww COL. Houses in Houston are soooo cheap. Let’s all move to Houston it’s soooo cheap

Old 03-31-2019, 04:53 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Quote:
Hi,

It would be great to get property taxes under control. However it's really our only revenue for the city/county. If less money comes in, city/county can't balance budget. We'd need something new like a sales tax, good luck passing that legislation. That's why mayor and judge oppose this.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:05 PM

243 posts, read 267,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
It would be great to get property taxes under control. However it's really our only revenue for the city/county. If less money comes in, city/county can't balance budget. We'd need something new like a sales tax, good luck passing that legislation. That's why mayor and judge oppose this.
So how was the city managing revenue 20+ years ago when property taxes were much cheaper than now?

Old 03-31-2019, 07:28 PM

15,398 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
So how was the city managing revenue 20+ years ago when property taxes were much cheaper than now?
20 years ago there was no revenue cap(the one that applies directly to the City via a Charter amendment years back, not the 2.5% proposed in the Lege), so the city was able to raise taxes when more revenue was required. In addition, certain costs, like health care, had not risen faster than inflation. And, the pension costs were ignored, and the pensions not properly funded.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:06 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
A few random thoughts:

* Going up "$300 a year" means nothing without perspective. If your taxes were $1,200, then $300 is crazy. If your taxes were $12,000, then it's not as big an issue.

* Comparing it to a mortgage payment "in the near future the property tax will reach the mortgage amount" again means nothing. Mortgage payments are dependent on so many other factors (down payment, interest rate, etc) that no comparison means anything.

* Taxes (and money) are fungible. It has to come from somewhere. We either lower spending or raise taxes. Without any other steady form of income (eg, income tax), property taxes win. Or lose in your case.

So where does the money come from to run our local governments and school districts? I'll let you answer.

PS: I am no fan of how our property taxes are designed here in Texas, and would love to see a cap and other changes (eg, business properties taxed like residences are). If for no other reason than to force governments to face spending limits. But that doesn't make many of the illogical arguments used against it these days any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston