Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 01:04 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,962 times

Advertisements

As an ‘outsider’, after living in the area for almost 5 years, I walked the tunnels for the first time last year. I was positively shocked. If I worked downtown, there wouldn’t be a real need to walk ‘above ground’ unless I absolutely wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 03:10 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
The worst of summer here is pretty much the same as Houston. It just doesn't last for four or five months solid. Instead it'll be some other sort of less than optimal weather.

That said, the Pedway under downtown Chicago is five miles, not counting the subways and the walkway connecting them. It's pretty comparable to what Houston has, but without the relative lack of street-level traffic and retail. Again, that's improving.

In the 80s, the NYT was spot on. If they were supposed to ask and find out that everyone's milling around in a subterranian shopping mall, that doesn't make the observation of empty streets inaccurate, does it?

They saw a bajillion cars parked on 100 acres of asphalt around a bunch of mostly new shiny modern skyscrapers, so it's obvious humans were present somewhere.
Their observation was that downtown Houston was empty, not just the streets.

Sounds like you have never even been to Houston if you think Chicago's summers are similar to Houston.
https://weatherspark.com/y/14091/Ave...tes-Year-Round
https://weatherspark.com/y/9247/Aver...tes-Year-Round

Old 04-21-2019, 04:20 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,140 times
The existence of Dubai renders the summer heat argument invalid, anywho.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:27 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
The existence of Dubai renders the summer heat argument invalid, anywho.
And New Orleans

And Miami

And pretty much every world city in the subtropics

Etc. etc.

Sounds like you've never been to Houston

Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahah

(I mean, except for the ~34 years of my life that I lived there, that's accurate)

Old 04-21-2019, 05:26 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Loved the tunnel with working downtown. Part of it I used was sky bridge too from south west end of downtown until we got to where the under ground tunnel took off, I think we shifted from sky way to tunnels around the old Enron building. That shows how long it has been since I worked in Downtown Houston. Great to avoid the rain and heat and humidity. Had some friends who worked in north end of DT and used it to come to the cafeteria in our building which they raved about. We hated it
as too close to work to feel like it was a break. Same food was old hat to us but the 'outsiders' raved about the same food.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:44 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
I'm fine with the tunnels playing their weekday breakfast-lunchtime role. Everything closes by mid-afternoon, so any desire for retail and services has to move to the surface anyway the rest of the time.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:56 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
And New Orleans

And Miami

And pretty much every world city in the subtropics

Etc. etc.

Sounds like you've never been to Houston

Gyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahah

(I mean, except for the ~34 years of my life that I lived there, that's accurate)
Saying Chicago's summers are similar to Houston's is just such a ridiculous comment that it makes anything you say sound just like trolling.

New Orleans is pretty similar to Houston. Miami is not as bad because it gets the sea breezes.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Saying Chicago's summers are similar to Houston's is just such a ridiculous comment that it makes anything you say sound just like trolling.

New Orleans is pretty similar to Houston. Miami is not as bad because it gets the sea breezes.
I don't think you caught the whole thing. I'm sorry if I exceeded your 160-character attention span limit.

The worst part of summer here feels like Houston. It just lasts for a few days instead of a hundred days plus.

If you ask me, a city where you can't go outside isn't worth living in. Stop making excuses. Adapt or die. It's the cardinal law of nature.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:25 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
I've never been in the Houston tunnels as I never knew a way to get into them.

Looking at the photos, they appear a bit claustrophic with long narrow corridors. It looks like it would be a great spot for a horror film to be shot though

Old 04-29-2019, 05:42 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
I've never been in the Houston tunnels as I never knew a way to get into them.

Looking at the photos, they appear a bit claustrophic with long narrow corridors. It looks like it would be a great spot for a horror film to be shot though
Well if you had a video with the water running through them during Allison....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: