Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 03:59 PM

4 posts, read 2,449 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving back to Houston, but the current position is downtown. I'm wanting less than an hour commute, but still good schools.

Looking at the Gulf Corridor times, Metro says the Fuqua Park and Ride is about 32 minutes to downtown, which seems reasonable (although no good schools around).

Then the Bay Area P&R, good schools, gives times usually less than 5 minutes different. There is no way those busses get there that fast, especially starting well off the freeway, and no direct HOV entrance.

This sorta destroys my faith in any of the Metro times listed.

Really struggling with the thought of an hour commute on a good day, including driving to P&R and walking to work from Bus stop.

R
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 10:02 AM

24 posts, read 17,715 times
I can help. I work downtown and use the Bay Area park and ride.

Do you know what time you are looking at going in to the office and returning home?

If I catch the 6:30AM bus, I can be at my desk by 7:15. I work on the north side of downtown so pretty deep into the route. That is under normal circumstances. If I catch the 7AM bus, looking at more like 8 to my desk.

Coming home is similar. I can be in my car within 45 minutes if I leave at 4PM. A bit longer if I leave later.

Obviously, if there is a wreck or stall on the HOV, these times will change. I will say those events are not too common fortunately.

I have been riding Metro on this route for over 15 years and I will say the bus schedule has improved and is pretty accurate. With the opening up of the gulf freeway lanes in the last few years, it has made the commute tolerable.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:17 AM

5,581 posts, read 4,844,606 times
What is it about Pasadena schools that you find so unacceptable? Would Sagemont really be that unacceptable as a place to live?

Old 05-24-2019, 01:33 PM

2,276 posts, read 4,015,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
What is it about Pasadena schools that you find so unacceptable? Would Sagemont really be that unacceptable as a place to live?
I went to Pasadena ISD schools between 1968 and 1971. Back then, the reputation was not all that great, but the educational product was pretty strong. The district and area had a reputation for being pretty "redneck" but we had some amazing teachers back then!

Pasadena ISD has lost its redneck reputation. There are still quite a few Anglo households in Pasadena, and there are some nice neighborhoods - I lived in one of those as recently as 2006 (near the intersection of Burke Rd. and Fairmont Pkwy). But there aren't a whole lot of Anglo students in the public schools anymore.

The high school that serves Sagemont, for example, is Dobie HS. It is a HUGE school (over 4000 students) but now only about 7% Anglo.

There are still some great schools in the Pasadena district, but the white flight of families w kids is a thing. My wife taught at Teague Elementary in Pasadena and it was the best teaching environment she has ever had.

15 years ago, a lot of white folks (w kids) chose to live in the part of the city of Pasadena that is served by Deer Park schools (near Fairmont Pkwy, east of Beltway 8) zoned to Fairmont Elementary. May still be the case.

The highest rated elementary in Pasadena schools (per greatschools for what it's worth) is Meador in the Sagemont area, but white families will likely pay more attention to the demographics than the ratings. Just the way it rolls down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston