U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 04:13 PM

440 posts, read 747,900 times
In my opinion if there is graffiti or petty theft or loud music then there is rape and murder. One follows the other. Just based on my experience growing up in many many neighborhoods that had graffiti, petty theft and loud music. Also based on the experience NYC had in cleaning up the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 04:41 PM

11,281 posts, read 16,875,917 times
So, conversely. rape and murder cannot exist without graffiti and loud music? Interesting.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:11 PM

725 posts, read 1,392,240 times
They now install buglers bars in the suburbs? Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elipar View Post
Well, on a forclosed home in Missouri City, the picture of the home had bars on the windows!

Old 04-20-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So, conversely. rape and murder cannot exist without graffiti and loud music? Interesting.
Silly argument and silly logic. Of course there is serious crime in nice neighborhoods - but there is a lot less of it.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 PM

58 posts, read 172,165 times
Quote:
Somebody draw jfre81 a Venn diagram.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 PM

7,690 posts, read 17,534,569 times
Quote:
Digging out the discrete math/computer prog logic, the converse says where there is not(graffitti and loud music), then there is not(rape + murder). Parentheses were added for those nerds who are privy to this crap that keeps food on my table. Anyway, we know by the converse that no matter how you look at it, it's all crap to make such generalizations. Look at my area - No graffitti or loud music. 5 kids were drowned. A dentist drove circles over her husband. And a NASA murder-suicide, one of them coming out of my neighborhood. Clearly mine isn't the only area that has incidents.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:20 PM

1,876 posts, read 3,435,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Digging out the discrete math/computer prog logic, the converse says where there is not(graffitti and loud music), then there is not(rape + murder). Parentheses were added for those nerds who are privy to this crap that keeps food on my table. Anyway, we know by the converse that no matter how you look at it, it's all crap to make such generalizations. Look at my area - No graffitti or loud music. 5 kids were drowned. A dentist drove circles over her husband. And a NASA murder-suicide, one of them coming out of my neighborhood. Clearly mine isn't the only area that has incidents.
The crimes that occurred in your area happened in a fit of rage. These can happen in any neighborhood. While these are not very useful in determining neighborhood safety or crime trends, crime statistics are very useful to those attempting such tasks.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:55 PM

127 posts, read 5,784 times
Well, if you're hearing gunshots on any other day than the Fourth of July or New Years, you might be in trouble.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:20 PM

It's all crap to make such generalizations? It is all PC crap not to make generalizations (and call them that - and understand they are only that) when they are called for. I grew up in places, um bad neighborhoods, where I saw felonies committed practically daily. Daily. Not once-a-year-make-the-headlines. That's why they call them bad neighborhoods dude.

Was everyone bad in the bad neighborhoods? Never. Were there more bad people in the bad neighborhoods than the good ones? Many - at least in terms of people who were willing to violate the law.

I can understand your wanting to avoid judging people based on generalizations. Having grown up absolutely dirt poor I can appreciate it from many angles. But this culture has taken that philosophy to the point of stupidity. If you want to live in your own reality go for it. It's a great place until it bumps up against the real world.

By the way I'm a programmer too - asp.net. I stated that there is more crime in general in "bad" neighborhoods. You stated that the reciprocal was that you need loud music, grafitti etc. for crime to exist. The true reciprocal is that, in general there is less crime (not no crime) in good neighborhoods - which is an accurate generalization.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:49 PM

11,281 posts, read 16,875,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
No graffitti or loud music. 5 kids were drowned.
Wait---hold up....Andrea Yates wasn't tagging up the hood and thumpin' that bass before drowning her kids? Of course, for Yates, the common gang-graffiti initials "CK" could have a totally different meaning from what it has on the streets...or was Clara Harris blaring some Fiddy while she was spinning donuts on cheating hubby's face?

But yeah....aside from homicidal, deranged and/or vindictive middle-aged women, the criminals in the exburbs are more like con men and dealers of certain drugs (more stuff like pills and high-grade ganja than crack/meth or stuff you typically associate with "the hood"). Drugs are everywhere and can be procured anywhere, no matter how much anyone wants to think otherwise. As for the con men, they won't kill you, just make you die poor if you buy into their scam(s). There was a huge mortgage fraud scam (and subsequent flurry of indictments) last year that was partly run out of Friendswood, and one of the guys in it I've met before. This scheme also involved Sean Jones, former defensive lineman for the Houston Oilers (and my beloved Pack).

As for the city - at least this one - things can be deceiving. Not all of what's bad on the southwest side even looks "bad." I was driving around Gulfton and Bissonnet awhile back wondering where the hell the "ghetto" was. It didn't remind me of River Oaks, but doesn't look like Detroit or late-80s South Central or some other prototype of the popular image of a "bad/dangerous neighborhood." Even some of the Section 8 apartments you read about on the police blotter can look nice from the street, with landscaping and whatnot. At worst things looked like some street in Texas City I used to roam around when I was a kid, getting no more harm than what was coming to me. That sounds "bad" to a lot of people, but they probably didn't grow up in a place like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston