Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 3,836 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the input. What are your thoughts in the resale value/appreciation in both Jersey Village and Spring Branch(77043). I’ve noticed that homes in jersey village have not appreciated much and have even taken a dip, due to flooding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 05:25 PM

59 posts, read 57,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hou9966 View Post
Thank you for the input. What are your thoughts in the resale value/appreciation in both Jersey Village and Spring Branch(77043). I’ve noticed that homes in jersey village have not appreciated much and have even taken a dip, due to flooding.
Flooding has noting to do with the prices. The entire Bear Creek Village subdivision was under water and most homes have been fixed up and are selling for more than they were worth pre-Harvey.

Jersey Village has always had lower resale value because it’s in the suburbs

Old 06-23-2019, 05:45 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cska View Post
Flooding has noting to do with the prices. The entire Bear Creek Village subdivision was under water and most homes have been fixed up and are selling for more than they were worth pre-Harvey.

Jersey Village has always had lower resale value because it’s in the suburbs
There seem to be a lot of folks who consider JV to be borderline inner-city, not the suburbs. JV is right on the Beltway. Many folks consider that not nearly suburban enough, in terms of age of house and demographic profile of schools - particularly in comparison to outer Cy-Fair ISD. Not necessarily saying those folks' opinions should be agreed with, just saying it's a pretty common one.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:14 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times
Quote:
There are excellent private schools in Spring Branch and the surrounding area. One who can afford to live within the desirable parts of Spring Branch can definitely afford to send their child to a private school.

77080 still has a lot of industrial sites and auto mechanic shops/junkyards
There are good public schools as well. We are zoned to Valley Oaks, Spring Branch middle and memorial high. And I live north of Westview. There are good houses to be had zoned to great schools that aren’t $$$$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
There seem to be a lot of folks who consider JV to be borderline inner-city, not the suburbs. JV is right on the Beltway. Many folks consider that not nearly suburban enough, in terms of age of house and demographic profile of schools - particularly in comparison to outer Cy-Fair ISD. Not necessarily saying those folks' opinions should be agreed with, just saying it's a pretty common one.
One of the reasons we didn’t go with JV is because even as close to the city as it is - it feels very suburban. We were ready for something different. Otherwise, it’s a nice area.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:43 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,473 times
I've found much of Houston, including the part that is in the city limits, to feel basically suburban. That being said, the general perception is that Spring Branch is close enough in to be "gentrifying" whereas Jersey Village is simply thought of as a suburb. It does not have the same profile as Spring Branch. Real Estate people will tell you that Spring Branch is better, but of course, there does have to be some point where enough is enough. I'm living across from a ranch house that they're trying to sell for 600k. It's not going to happen for them.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:36 PM

59 posts, read 57,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Suburbanites whom consider places like Katy, Fulshear, and Sugar Land as their safe havens will probably view JV as “not suburban enough” maybe due to the fact thats it’s next to the beltway and much faster commute into Houston or some other reason.

In reality JV is just as suburban as Katy or Sugar Land. I don’t really care much for any of the mentioned areas, bottom line Jersey Village is just as nice as Katy or SL, anyone wanting to live in the suburbs should consider it.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:49 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
We have been very happy with our northwest location toward Jersey Village but inside the beltway (not Jersey Village proper). My vote is Jersey Village over Spring Branch, easy, and it is one we would make again. Our kids attended Awty in Houston but our Houston neighbors speak positively of their experiences at Gleason/Cook/JVHS.

Despite being further as the crow flies, DH's downtown Houston commute is faster from the Jersey Village area than from many parts in Spring Branch since we have quick access to 290 (and the West Little York Park & Ride is a convenient option that we utilize as well). Unless you are in the sliver of Spring Branch adjacent to I-10, there is zero upside to living "closer in" in that triangle south of 290 and north of Westview. Indeed you are giving up a lot - the aesthetics are depressing, crime is high, and the schools earn D's and F's in performance metrics. I just can't see any appeal.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:08 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,911,900 times
With respect to home values, our home has appreciated slowly and steadily and dipped only briefly after the 2008 economic crisis. That's fine in our view, a good balance between growing equity vs property taxes.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Suburbanites whom consider places like Katy, Fulshear, and Sugar Land as their safe havens will probably view JV as “not suburban enough” maybe due to the fact thats it’s next to the beltway and much faster commute into Houston or some other reason.

In reality JV is just as suburban as Katy or Sugar Land. I don’t really care much for any of the mentioned areas, bottom line Jersey Village is just as nice as Katy or SL, anyone wanting to live in the suburbs should consider it.
I totally agree, I think JV and adjacent areas are really good deals for folks wanting a "modern" suburban-style atmosphere with less commute. The homes themselves are dated (1970s), and immediate commercial areas are a bit limited (perhaps some folks like that though), but the new town center will add a lot, assuming it comes to pass.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:41 PM

2,857 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
We have been very happy with our northwest location toward Jersey Village but inside the beltway (not Jersey Village proper). My vote is Jersey Village over Spring Branch, easy, and it is one we would make again. Our kids attended Awty in Houston but our Houston neighbors speak positively of their experiences at Gleason/Cook/JVHS.

Despite being further as the crow flies, DH's downtown Houston commute is faster from the Jersey Village area than from many parts in Spring Branch since we have quick access to 290 (and the West Little York Park & Ride is a convenient option that we utilize as well). Unless you are in the sliver of Spring Branch adjacent to I-10, there is zero upside to living "closer in" in that triangle south of 290 and north of Westview. Indeed you are giving up a lot - the aesthetics are depressing, crime is high, and the schools earn D's and F's in performance metrics. I just can't see any appeal.
The JV public schools rank significantly lower than Valley Oaks/Spring Branch Middle/Memorial High. For folks with 2 or more kids it makes more economic sense than private school.

For people who work regular hours (8-5) there's no way the commute time between the two's even comparable. The 290 is known to be a parking lot during regular commute hours while the I-10 is even during peak hours east of the 610.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston