U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 PM

19 posts, read 49,025 times

Advertisements

Our family is expanding and we’re looking for a new home in a safe area with good schools. I work downtown she works in spring where Grand Parkway intersects with 45. We currently live in a three story townhome in the heights that we want out of. Depending on what we can sell for we plan to purchase our next home in the 640-700k range.

My question is should we consider buying a house at the top of our budget in spring valley that will need to be updated while we live there, or just move to the Woodlands?

In theory the woodlands sounds great but we have a community of friends, church, doctor, daycare etc all established in Houston. The appeal of the woodlands is that we can get a nice house on a nice street among the trees with the trails and pools etc all with excellent schools. Is my impression accurate that kids can play outside and ride their bikes around neighborhoods more than anywhere in Houston proper, including spring valley or oak forest or the heights accurate? I would like my children to be able to safely explore and play outside without constant supervision. Or is that not possible anymore anywhere? I also would think that there would be more exposure to the outdoors in general in the woodland, which is something that we value.

The downside of course is the commute downtown and the distance from the rest of Houston. Also from an investment perspective, I feel like spring valley makes more sense but not so sure about that. Also we are well established in the community here and are realistic to know that we probably won’t make the drive down to Houston too much beyond the work week.

Thoughts?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 09:31 PM

2,126 posts, read 975,024 times
Getting from Spring Valley to Springwoods Village is not going to be fun. Look around Timbergrove, Lazybrook, or Garden Oaks.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:54 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,438,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedjp View Post
Our family is expanding and we’re looking for a new home in a safe area with good schools. I work downtown she works in spring where Grand Parkway intersects with 45. We currently live in a three story townhome in the heights that we want out of. Depending on what we can sell for we plan to purchase our next home in the 640-700k range.

My question is should we consider buying a house at the top of our budget in spring valley that will need to be updated while we live there, or just move to the Woodlands?

In theory the woodlands sounds great but we have a community of friends, church, doctor, daycare etc all established in Houston. The appeal of the woodlands is that we can get a nice house on a nice street among the trees with the trails and pools etc all with excellent schools. Is my impression accurate that kids can play outside and ride their bikes around neighborhoods more than anywhere in Houston proper, including spring valley or oak forest or the heights accurate? I would like my children to be able to safely explore and play outside without constant supervision. Or is that not possible anymore anywhere? I also would think that there would be more exposure to the outdoors in general in the woodland, which is something that we value.

The downside of course is the commute downtown and the distance from the rest of Houston. Also from an investment perspective, I feel like spring valley makes more sense but not so sure about that. Also we are well established in the community here and are realistic to know that we probably won’t make the drive down to Houston too much beyond the work week.

Thoughts?
I stay in The Woodlands as of now and I can tell you that The Woodlands definitely has trees,trails and pools with excellent schools. I see kids playing outside and riding their bikes all the time in different communities in The Woodlands. I will say TW could use better parks for children and a couple more things geared towards smaller children but it is a safe Family Friendly suburb.

With that said the traffic in TW is HORRIBLE. It cuts right through one of the busiest stretches of 45 and when it's rush hour it's bad. When it's not rush hour it can still be pretty bad getting in and out of TW. Your pretty much relying on 45 to get to Houston. The commute to downtown will be a huge downside. On average it takes me about 37 to 45 mins WITHOUT TRAFFIC.

If you can live with that, then shoot for TW.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:20 AM

2,373 posts, read 6,018,490 times
I have a friend who lives in the woodlands. Used to live in the back and it took 30 minutes just to get to 45, then another 45 minutes or so to get to downtown. They just moved to Jacobs Crossing, so are closer to 45, but even further north.

I live in a small gated community of townhomes in spring Valley and love it. My daughter is outside every single day playing with the other kids in our neighborhood. There are other gated communities nearby that are the same way...kids playing, block parties, etc. we are zoned to great schools. And the commute to downtown is about 15-20 minutes. Looks like the commute for your wife would be about 35-45 minutes. And it would be dealing with reverse commuter traffic. There’s really no such thing as reverse commuter traffic on 45.

The woodlands does have an appeal. I just know every time I go visit my friends who live there, I keep saying the only way I would live there is if I worked there.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:51 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,014,797 times
They're both generally fine choices. The commute is a bit of a puzzle. SV would be better if you're both set on driving, but TW offers P+R buses to downtown, whereas there aren't any viable P+R options to get from SV to I45 and the Grand Parkway (except perhaps for Metro Star vanpools).

SV is better from an investment standpoint, but you'll also get ~half the house for the money as in The Woodlands. A big uncertainty right now is what Oxy will do with Anadarko's HQ in The Woodlands - if they decide to close it down it will likely significantly impact property values in The Woodlands, at least until/unless another major company takes over the space. SV on the other hand is very diversified - residents there work downtown, in The Galleria, in the Energy Corridor, etc. It's also probably the best of the Memorial Villages in terms of having a mix of young and old families (the villages south of I-10 skew older).

Old 06-25-2019, 06:53 AM

174 posts, read 70,694 times
Spring Valley Village (zip 77024) violent crime is 38.4. (The US average is 22.7)
Spring Valley Village (zip 77024) property crime is 48.9. (The US average is 35.4)
Spring Valley Village (zip 77055) violent crime is 61.7. (The US average is 22.7)
Spring Valley Village (zip 77055) property crime is 71.8. (The US average is 35.4)

The Woodlands (zip 77381) violent crime is 12.7. (The US average is 22.7)
The Woodlands (zip 77381) property crime is 25.6. (The US average is 35.4)
The Woodlands (zip 77382) violent crime is 12.4. (The US average is 22.7)
The Woodlands (zip 77382) property crime is 24.8. (The US average is 35.4)

Spring Valley Village is another area in Houston reminds me of Israel (a good place if you don't look around).

Old 06-25-2019, 07:36 AM

1,772 posts, read 2,781,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight Red Light View Post
Spring Valley Village (zip 77024) violent crime is 38.4. (The US average is 22.7)
Spring Valley Village (zip 77024) property crime is 48.9. (The US average is 35.4)
Spring Valley Village (zip 77055) violent crime is 61.7. (The US average is 22.7)
Spring Valley Village (zip 77055) property crime is 71.8. (The US average is 35.4)

Spring Valley Village is another area in Houston reminds me of Israel (a good place if you don't look around).
I may be TOTALLY off base - but with an official population of less than 4,000 people - but with a considerable amount of commercial property included - I am uncertain that the "horrible" crime stats posted above would correlate with a grim living situation!!

Correct me if I am wrong Spring Valley-ites!!!

Old 06-25-2019, 08:33 AM

19 posts, read 49,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight Red Light View Post

Interesting. Do these statistics include the entire 77055 zip code? If so that includes a lot of stuff outside of spring valley. 77024 looks like it’s mostly the memorial villages south of I-10; I’d think that area would be as safe as the woodlands. Thanks for sharing. What’s the source of the data?

Old 06-25-2019, 09:45 AM

174 posts, read 70,694 times
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Just remember, on average, Houston crime rate is double the national average. This means an area should be considered safe as long as its crime rate not double the national average, by Houston standard. :-)

Last edited by Yac; 07-01-2019 at 03:08 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 10:18 AM
fnh

2,210 posts, read 2,895,380 times
As your family expands you will come to appreciate the children's school being close to at least one of your work locations. There will be sick pick-ups, doctor appointments, school events to attend, etc. To assume it should be your wife's is sexist, but logistically it makes more sense to be in The Woodlands for 1) proximity to one workplace, 2) your lifestyle wants, and 3) having commuter options to the second workplace downtown.

There are still woodsy, idyllic neighborhoods that you seek in Houston, we live in one to the northwest, but you would both be commuting.

Trulia has crime heat maps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or