Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 12:20 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Most recent Filipino have been direct immigrants.
You do realize that Los Angeles is the most desirable city on Earth for Filipino immigrants? S.F. is second in the U.S. for Filipinos. The Great Recession of '08 and the California cash-out steered established Filipino transplants into Houston for the 2010s.

Perhaps Filipinos are coming directly to Houston will become the 2020s trend (bypassing the traditional West Coast and Northern cities entry points). It's important to also note that immigration admissions was pushed to a record low by the Trump administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 02:15 AM

9,721 posts, read 6,348,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You do realize that Los Angeles is the most desirable city on Earth for Filipino immigrants? S.F. is second in the U.S. for Filipinos. The Great Recession of '08 and the California cash-out steered established Filipino transplants into Houston for the 2010s.

Perhaps Filipinos are coming directly to Houston will become the 2020s trend (bypassing the traditional West Coast and Northern cities entry points). It's important to also note that immigration admissions was pushed to a record low by the Trump administration.
Sure. But that doesn't change anything. Most recent Filipinos here are direct immigrants.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:52 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,342,379 times
Quote:

Interesting. My very good friend when I lived in SF was of Filipina descent from Daly City.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Sure. But that doesn't change anything. Most recent Filipinos here are direct immigrants.
The largest concentration of Filipinos globally are in L.A. I would find it surprising that despite the anti-immigration bent of the last 4 years under Trump, that there is a surge of immigrant Filipinos coming directly to Houston! Biden has not touched normalization of immigration due to the pandemic (and political optics).

Transplants don't have barriers because they have already been admitted to the United States. The rising cost-of-living has been the prime issue prompting relocation from the expensive coasts to the South. It's been the same way for the past decade for whites and other minorities transplanting to Texas! Why would Filipinos be different?

Old 04-26-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
The largest concentration of Filipinos globally are in L.A. I would find it surprising that despite the anti-immigration bent of the last 4 years under Trump, that there is a surge of immigrant Filipinos coming directly to Houston! Biden has not touched normalization of immigration due to the pandemic (and political optics).

Transplants don't have barriers because they have already been admitted to the United States. The rising cost-of-living has been the prime issue prompting relocation from the expensive coasts to the South. It's been the same way for the past decade for whites and other minorities transplanting to Texas! Why would Filipinos be different?
I didn’t say more Filipinos come to Houston than California. I said most recent Filipinos in Houston are coming direct. There’s definitely been a surge here since around 2015 because some Filipino contractors have been bringing them here since around then.

Old 04-26-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I didn’t say more Filipinos come to Houston than California. I said most recent Filipinos in Houston are coming direct. There’s definitely been a surge here since around 2015 because some Filipino contractors have been bringing them here since around then.
Overstaying/working on a tourist visa is a much different scenario. Filipinos who skirt the immigration laws always have to fly in and overstay, due to the lack of a land border that fellow Latin Americans enjoy.

But the middle-class Filipinos who are cashing out their equity on the coasts and relocating here are the most prominent. The "Valley Girl" accent is the most common adopted American English accent among women; usually a marker of a California transplant. Also, there is a strong New York accent among the Filipino transplants who settled there originally.

Old 10-17-2021, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 4,458 times
Default Moving from Pensacola, FL to Houston, Tx

Hello everyone - My case is basic. Like a beleaguered boll weevil I am just looking for a home - a good distance from the flood zone, with a little land to raise my three goats and three dogs. I must declare up front that I am an Ilocano from Ilocos Sur - not to offend anyone obviously but for the purpose of perhaps finding a community with some Ilocanos that still observe the traditions of the old country as it were. I dare dream that being in a community like that would make for some interesting afternoon sessions, just chewing the fat or perhaps even trading tales from the old rice and sugarcane fields. Where might I begin looking? I hear Pearland and Sugar Land might yield good results? Appreciate any tips. Dios ti agngina Apo.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIENChronicles View Post
Hello everyone - My case is basic. Like a beleaguered boll weevil I am just looking for a home - a good distance from the flood zone, with a little land to raise my three goats and three dogs. I must declare up front that I am an Ilocano from Ilocos Sur - not to offend anyone obviously but for the purpose of perhaps finding a community with some Ilocanos that still observe the traditions of the old country as it were. I dare dream that being in a community like that would make for some interesting afternoon sessions, just chewing the fat or perhaps even trading tales from the old rice and sugarcane fields. Where might I begin looking? I hear Pearland and Sugar Land might yield good results? Appreciate any tips. Dios ti agngina Apo.
Pearland definitely has the biggest Filipino community of the suburbs.

Old 10-18-2021, 10:22 AM

8,196 posts, read 5,312,911 times
Yeah, I 2nd Pearland. Definitely the place with the largest Filipino community among suburbs.

Old 11-11-2021, 11:14 AM

40 posts, read 30,347 times
My wife and I visited the Houston area and suburbs last July. We spent 3 days driving around the suburbs and the following areas that impressed us much are Sugarland, Katy, Tomball, Cypress, Conroe, Porter, and Humble. I know that 3 days is a short time, but first impression counts a lot to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston