Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 10:47 AM

61,659 posts, read 87,023,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Been in Houston for 15 years. Went to Maine for vacation a few weeks ago. Absolutely beautiful summer weather. My kids needed sweatshirts. It was a dream. My son wanted to move there. Then I thought about 90 inches of snow per year, and well, we are staying put in Houston. (But we are sure going back to Maine for summer vacation again.)
I think most people think that snow is awful because we live in a car dependent country, and of course anything but sunny and dry is always dreaded: traffic is awful, black ice a nightmare, commute sucks, schools are closed, and people need to get early up to clean and warm up their cars, that deteriorate quite fast exposed to salt and other chemicals.

But coming from a cooler country with amazing public transportation, snow and cold doesn't bother me a bit. I think snow is beautiful & season colors admirable. There is still so much to do when the temps fall under 60/40/20F. Just wear appropriate clothing. And there is no worry about snow or nasty weather, if you don't need to drive to get somewhere.

In Houston, when the temps hit 80F+, with the humidity 80%+ anything outdoorsy seem tiring and drains the last drop of energy - the "feels like" often being 10 degrees higher.
Not to mention that you can layer your clothes when's cool, but you can only take so much off when is hot.
And breathing A/C air most of the year isn't healthy either. Heard of sick building syndrome?

When you are in a city surrounded by concrete, the heat is just unbearable. It's hard to disagree, no? Houston is such a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 11:05 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,136,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
And that's the mentality that leads to the mal-adaption here..
I just personally do not feel that this city offers much outside museums and food. And after a while, all of that begins to feel the same. I’m sorry, but you cannot compare Houston and it’s concrete jungle to other places that actually have stuff to do outdoors. I just don’t think they compare.

Also, because Texas is so massive in size - you can go to places here that experience 4 seasons, snow, deserts, etc.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think most people think that snow is awful because we live in a car dependent country, and of course anything but sunny and dry is always dreaded: traffic is awful, black ice a nightmare, commute sucks, schools are closed, and people need to get early up to clean and warm up their cars, that deteriorate quite fast exposed to salt and other chemicals.

But coming from a cooler country with amazing public transportation, snow and cold doesn't bother me a bit. I think snow is beautiful & season colors admirable. There is still so much to do when the temps fall under 60/40/20F. Just wear appropriate clothing. And there is no worry about snow or nasty weather, if you don't need to drive to get somewhere.

In Houston, when the temps hit 80F+, with the humidity 80%+ anything outdoorsy seem tiring and drains the last drop of energy - the "feels like" often being 10 degrees higher.
Not to mention that you can layer your clothes when's cool, but you can only take so much off when is hot.
And breathing A/C air most of the year isn't healthy either. Heard of sick building syndrome?

When you are in a city surrounded by concrete, the heat is just unbearable. It's hard to disagree, no? Houston is such a city.
I grew up in the mid Atlantic and also then spent part of my adult life living in Ohio so I know about snow. Pretty yes. And if you don’t have to leave the house- even better. But when you have to go to work and shovel 3 feet of snow- that is no fun. So as a kid, it was great. As an adult, not so much.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:40 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,130 times
80-85F is a comfortable cool front in Houston. That's porch sitting ice tea drinking weather. Heck some people are still outside in the afternoon when it is 90+. You can't do that in the dead of winter in the Midwest without some kind of fire pit.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:17 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,265,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I just personally do not feel that this city offers much outside museums and food. And after a while, all of that begins to feel the same. I’m sorry, but you cannot compare Houston and it’s concrete jungle to other places that actually have stuff to do outdoors. I just don’t think they compare.
And like I said: that very mentality, both direct and indirect, is exactly what precludes the city from achieving those "exciting" experiences you keep referring to.

Quote:
Also, because Texas is so massive in size - you can go to places here that experience 4 seasons, snow, deserts, etc.
Right, no need to state that obvious fact for the sake of it.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:53 PM

694 posts, read 834,984 times
Yeah summers are hot and humid, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying things outdoors. In the warm months I shift my schedule around and get out earlier. I have a kayak group that paddles at 7 am on Sunday mornings in the summer. We still go to state parks, and take walks, but we do it earlier. Overall, on a yearly basis, I spend a significantly more time outdoors in Houston, than I did when I lived in the snow belt up north.

I had a sailboat when I lived up north, It was out of the water from October through April. Here my sailboat is in use most months except later June, July and August.

A lot of it is attitude.

Old 07-31-2019, 01:56 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,266,413 times
Default Agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookitsrobss View Post
Def underrated. September to May are wonderful. It’s only June to August that are really bad.
This is exactly what I always say... it starts to cool down in September (not cool, but temperatures start to drop), and it lasts until May, so not bad when you consider this. Of course, if you are one who does not spend much time outdoors, you may not think so. I judge by how much I sweat.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:41 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Yeah I'd say Houston's weather is underrated. From late May until September the weather can be unbearable. Hot and humid during the day, and very little relief (if any) at night. But once that first cold front moves through in October-ish, it completely flips. Houston goes from having hot/humid weather to great weather. The humidity has the opposite effect in the cooler months and makes the weather more pleasant. A/C goes off, fans turn on, open the windows at night, and trap the cool air in the morning.

Besides, the only place in America that has perfect weather is the Los Angeles Basin, the East Bay area (Oakland, Berkeley, Alameda, Hayward), or coastal San Diego. Everywhere else in America doesn't compare and you're just splitting hairs between having a hot/humid summer or a frigid winter.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:41 PM

391 posts, read 424,596 times
To me, the fact is that it's unpleasant to be outside in Houston most of the time. Half of the time it's unbearably hot and humid, the other half is gray and damp and dreary.

Yes, it's great to not have to shovel snow. But that's about the only good thing to be said for our climate.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:05 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
To me, the fact is that it's unpleasant to be outside in Houston most of the time. Half of the time it's unbearably hot and humid, the other half is gray and damp and dreary.

Yes, it's great to not have to shovel snow. But that's about the only good thing to be said for our climate.
Houston is one of the most lush cities in America. The winter months things are still pretty green and never noticed overly cloudy/dreary days either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston