Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 12:57 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
Off topic but how was Star Wars galaxy’s edge at Disneyland?
Walking around the land was pretty amazing. So well done and detailed. If you plan on going any time soon, plan on waiting in line for the millennium falcon ride for a good long while. Wait times got up 130 minutes that I noticed. And that was when the park had a very low crowd day. I’m not a star ward fan, but I enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:16 AM

1,011 posts, read 976,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
Walking around the land was pretty amazing. So well done and detailed. If you plan on going any time soon, plan on waiting in line for the millennium falcon ride for a good long while. Wait times got up 130 minutes that I noticed. And that was when the park had a very low crowd day. I’m not a star ward fan, but I enjoyed it.
Thx for the info.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:22 AM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
What was the high temp in Phoenix? For humans, when temps go above 105, it is dangerous, period - your body's moisture evaporates very quickly, which yes has a cooling effect, but doesn't take long at all to have very dangerous loss of hydration. You have to be quite careful. And of course many surfaces (especially metal) become exceedingly hot and can burn you immediately.
Got up to 113. Never got below 90 at night. Think the coolest day only got to 107.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:58 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Got up to 113. Never got below 90 at night. Think the coolest day only got to 107.
Oh my. Obviously millions of people are OK with that, but I'm not one of them.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:52 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Oh my. Obviously millions of people are OK with that, but I'm not one of them.
It could make you long for Houston's summers of 95/90% humidity and lows of 77 at night.

Old 08-04-2019, 02:56 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Houston Weather

The weather is good for about 7 1/2 Months out of the year. I consider it to be uncomfortable from May to september. Especially June to september is unbearably hot and humid and effeminately not outdoor weather. The winters can be very pleasant but the weather changes a lot during the winter.
The climate is better here than in the freezing cold northern cities.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:05 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
The weather is good for about 7 1/2 Months out of the year. I consider it to be uncomfortable from May to september. Especially June to september is unbearably hot and humid and effeminately not outdoor weather. The winters can be very pleasant but the weather changes a lot during the winter.
The climate is better here than in the freezing cold northern cities.
When you say it's "effeminately not outdoor weather " are you saying it's not outdoor weather if you are delicate or soft ? Or perhaps a wussy ? lol

Old 08-04-2019, 05:27 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
When you say it's "effeminately not outdoor weather " are you saying it's not outdoor weather if you are delicate or soft ? Or perhaps a wussy ? lol
Yes, The idea is that if you are a real man then you can take the heat. But effeminates cant take the heat!!

Old 08-04-2019, 10:25 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
But I lived in LA (too dry except for the winter)
Where in L.A.? The TV forecasts divide the microclimates into Beach/Coast, Metro (or Inland) L.A./O.C., Valleys, High Desert, and Mountains. (Low Desert has disappeared recently.). Beach/Coast is the most comfortable, hands down. People don't dream of having that ocean view house in Malibu for nothing!

Quote:
I'll still take that over places in the low desert (Phoenix, Palm Springs) where summer temps regularly go to 105+. Even if the humidity is low, that's just an oven. And in the cities, the temps don't cool off that much at night either. Plus, I do like at least a little green in my environment, and when you see green in those places, you can't help but think about how much precious water is being used for that, so it's hard to enjoy.
I can't stand living in Vegas or Phoenix because it's so brown and dry after growing up in green Houston. The humidity from the ocean supports greenery in L.A.'s mountains (but it likes to burn down quite often!), which makes Coastal California the only place I could live out West. There's also enough humidity to prevent me from turning my skin into a prune.

Quote:
I'm fine with the "high desert" places where midsummer temps are 90 - 100 and humidity is low. Fort Davis or Sedona, for example. Plus, there's usually a little bit more flora in the environment (grass, shrubs, junipers, pinyon pine etc.) to soften things visually.
I could live in Palmdale or Santa Clarita because at least the ocean breeze tends to go through the passes and cools down the area at night. Phoenix, Palm Springs, and Las Vegas are too far from the nocturnal ocean breezes.

Quote:
I lived for two years in my tweens overseas in a northern maritime climate where there were endless gray days and it was raining probably at least 30% of the time. NEVER AGAIN. After having spent my early childhood in Houston, it was an incredibly depressing shock. I could not be happy in a Seattle / Portland-type environment, even though they have great scenery. It also biases me against the northern Great Plains, Midwest, and Northeast, where supposedly (going off hearsay), you hardly see the sun all winter. Houston has some grey days during winter, but it feels unusual if they stretch more than a few days at a time. And having to don/doff clothes to go in and out of buildings gets irritating fast. My body runs hot, so I'm not someone that can keep winter-type clothes on indoors much.
I spent 3 weeks around Thanksgiving in Chicagoland a few years ago. I found out that I could stand the cold and the gray. Cool/Cold places tend to attract most Filipino-Americans to the U.S. (Coastal California for the cool and NYC and Chicago for the cold. Seattle is starting to be popular in the community, similar to Austin's buzz.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I took this driving through arizona on our way to Disneyland on a stretch of I-10. Not sure what the heat index was. This was a few weeks ago.
Funny I had to make an emergency trip there for the 4th of July. The heat definitely comes from the sun. The lack of clouds and the elevation only intensify the solar radiation.

It's so dry there that it feels like you're in a food dehydrator. My relatives shared with me the tip of leaving the house with a frozen bottle of water and keeping hydrated. Even indoors, I had to keep drinking water for my skin to stay comfortably moist. Luckily I only spent a day and a half. It took about a week in Houston for my upper lip to get rid of the few dry skin cells. A few more days in Phoenix and I would be shrivel and have break outs of broken skin all over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Yes, The idea is that if you are a real man then you can take the heat. But effeminates cant take the heat!!
Change "heat" to "cold" and you're definitely an effeminate now! My Chicago cousins like to brag about the "four seasons" that the Sunbelt lacks.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:47 AM

814 posts, read 676,093 times
I had to spend a month in Saudi Arabia back when I lived in Houston. Near the coast in SA, it made Houston seem cool, dry, and pleasant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston