Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 10:16 PM

31 posts, read 25,520 times

Advertisements

There was another chemical plant explosion in Baytown today, that chemical polypropylene was burning in the air for hours and the chemical clouds have may reached toward the Katy area by the end of the day.

I live in Katy, Grand Lakes subdivision.

When I arrived home around 6:00 pm it was raining extremely heavily in the Grand Lakes/Cinco Ranch area. I park on my driveway so when I got outside of my car I was soaking wet under the rain.

I’m afraid that the burning chemical in the air contaminated the rain water so all the rain drops that drenched me were contaminated with the polypropylene chemical burning at the plant in Baytown.

I immediately took a shower and I’m even thinking about throwing away all my clothes I was wearing today in the trash because they were all wet from the rain. Do I have a legitimate cause for concern or am I overreacting over this?

Old 07-31-2019, 10:25 PM

472 posts, read 336,119 times
I am no expert in this area whatsoever, but I would think it’s reasonable to assume that 1) the airborne chemical would have been diffused by the rainwater, 2) your exposure was very brief - just a matter of minutes before you washed off, 3) we’re talking about a location (Katy) that was dozens of miles away from the explosion, providing lots of space for the chemical to diffuse, and 4) you didn’t notice any symptoms like irritation or burning or whatever which would might have been a giveaway. Again, I’m no expert, but I think you’re fine for now.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:31 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryp0tter View Post
There was another chemical plant explosion in Baytown today, that chemical polypropylene was burning in the air for hours and the chemical clouds have may reached toward the Katy area by the end of the day.

I live in Katy, Grand Lakes subdivision.

When I arrived home around 6:00 pm it was raining extremely heavily in the Grand Lakes/Cinco Ranch area. I park on my driveway so when I got outside of my car I was soaking wet under the rain.

I’m afraid that the burning chemical in the air contaminated the rain water so all the rain drops that drenched me were contaminated with the polypropylene chemical burning at the plant in Baytown.

I immediately took a shower and I’m even thinking about throwing away all my clothes I was wearing today in the trash because they were all wet from the rain. Do I have a legitimate cause for concern or am I overreacting over this?
Overreacting.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:00 AM

31 posts, read 25,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
I am no expert in this area whatsoever, but I would think it’s reasonable to assume that 1) the airborne chemical would have been diffused by the rainwater, 2) your exposure was very brief - just a matter of minutes before you washed off, 3) we’re talking about a location (Katy) that was dozens of miles away from the explosion, providing lots of space for the chemical to diffuse, and 4) you didn’t notice any symptoms like irritation or burning or whatever which would might have been a giveaway. Again, I’m no expert, but I think you’re fine for now.
But when I opened my car door all the rain drops got on the interior door panel and my car has cloth fabric upholstery so it absorbed those polypropylene contaminated rain drops..Even though it’s dry now is the chemical still present inside my car? Has it absorbed into the fabric upholstery material?

By the way I ended up trashing all the clothes that got wet under the rain, including my leather wallet and phone case too. I’m not going to take any chances. I remember back when the ITC plant was on fire everyone was glad the weather wasn’t raining because they said the rain would carry the contaminated air particles down on the ground. That might have just happened to me

Old 08-01-2019, 05:18 AM

2,480 posts, read 7,138,281 times
I think if you were exposed at all is way less of a contamination than the constant polluted air you breathe here every single day. You are okay from the rain drops from yesterday.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:46 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,241,757 times
It’s just a little burned carpet, take a deep breath— you’ll be fine.

Old 08-01-2019, 06:21 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,901,841 times
Probably overreacting, but who knows? Learn to shrug it off and buy-into the argument that the related jobs make it all worth it.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryp0tter View Post
But when I opened my car door all the rain drops got on the interior door panel and my car has cloth fabric upholstery so it absorbed those polypropylene contaminated rain drops..Even though it’s dry now is the chemical still present inside my car? Has it absorbed into the fabric upholstery material?
By the way I ended up trashing all the clothes that got wet under the rain, including my leather wallet and phone case too. I’m not going to take any chances. I remember back when the ITC plant was on fire everyone was glad the weather wasn’t raining because they said the rain would carry the contaminated air particles down on the ground. That might have just happened to me
You might want to fish your clothes out of the trash and just leave them in your garage for a few days until we research this question. I wouldn’t worry about the upholstery of your car.

The word I was looking for in my previous post was “dilute”. If 1 inch of rain fell over 50 square miles, that’s nearly 1 billion gallons of rainwater that fell to the ground. That should be plenty to dilute any airborne chemicals from a fire 50 miles away. The question is what concentration of the chemical is toxic to humans.

Also, you’ll feeling no effects. And nobody else is reporting effects either. Your exposure to the bisphenols in the processed doughnuts you’re eating this morning probably has more toxicity than any chemicals you were exposed to in the rain yesterday.

Don’t quit your job! You’re safe.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:19 AM

702 posts, read 1,236,188 times
Throw away your clothes, trade in your car and sell your house now!!!

Old 08-01-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma281 View Post
Throw away your clothes, trade in your car and sell your house now!!!
He’s kidding, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston