Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 11:29 PM

940 posts, read 1,892,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
This problem you are having is a microcosm of the much larger ideological problem that plagues most aspects of our lives in the United States. We are so committed to capitalism not just as an economic principle, but as a moral principle, that we allow nearly every decision to be governed by the simple question of, "can a corporation make money from this?" Letting profitably govern all our choices means that people live next to ginormous generators, toxic chemicals get dumped into the water we drink, our public lands are up for corporate grab, and corporations dictate the actions of the three branches of government. And any time anyone tries to stand in the way, someone screams about unfair regulations or the need for unfettered profits.

The only solution is to start insisting that there are values that matter more than someone's profit. We can't live without clean water, air, and food. We can't live happily and healthfully without noise and light pollution. Other species are both important to our own survival as a species, and important in their own right.

That's my Friday Manifesto.
What a bunch of baloney. Either you live in a modern industrial economy, or you live in the third world, or you live in a communist state or you live in a primitive tribal culture OK? So why don't you choose one of these and go happily do it? You sit there typing on a keyboard or touchscreen invented by private enterprising organizations, same for the computer or phone you are using, same for the cummunication standards and hardware that underlies the internet and cellphne networks. Not one of these developments has been brought to the world by any communist manifesto, whining antifa or leftist cabal. Prove me wrong, go find a communist device and use it to reply, and tell us what Marxist group or tribal culture invented it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 12:12 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,016,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovamos View Post
What a bunch of baloney. Either you live in a modern industrial economy, or you live in the third world, or you live in a communist state or you live in a primitive tribal culture OK? So why don't you choose one of these and go happily do it? You sit there typing on a keyboard or touchscreen invented by private enterprising organizations, same for the computer or phone you are using, same for the cummunication standards and hardware that underlies the internet and cellphne networks. Not one of these developments has been brought to the world by any communist manifesto, whining antifa or leftist cabal. Prove me wrong, go find a communist device and use it to reply, and tell us what Marxist group or tribal culture invented it.
Do you really think in such black and white terms? I never said I had a problem with a capitalist economy. I said the problem is in elevating your economic system to a value system, wherein the ONLY thing that drives people's choices and decision-making is whether or not someone makes money.

Old 08-09-2019, 12:49 PM
fnh

2,887 posts, read 3,884,133 times
(Never mind that government research grants are foundational to every single modern technological and medical advance. Ignorance revealed in ascribing innovation to private enterprise alone.)

Carry on.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:40 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,968,886 times
Only the Houston forum could turn a conversation about a backup generator into a deep philosophical argument against capitalism. I bet that generator was built with some Russian parts! OP you gotta resist!!!

Old 08-09-2019, 02:28 PM

14,888 posts, read 9,968,886 times
On a side note, if you do end up keeping the home and living there you've got to post up a couple videos of that baby running under load! 750KW ain't no joke, that's big boy toys right there.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 10,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronkoe View Post
I am building a house in Parkland Village in the Bridgeland community. Our house backs up against a "water well" according to the bridgeland community map. Its off of Mason RD and Summit Point Crossing.

The builder told us it would be like the other waterwells, which involve a small transformer and some water filtration stuff. We went and saw a bunch of them, didnt seem like a nuisance so we agreed to the deal.

Now our home is halfway finished and they are doing work on the waterwell area and they bring in a MASSIVE 750KW diesel generator. They have set it on foundation and bolted it to the ground so it isnt a temporary thing.

How can the nice community of bridgeland with their strict HOA and high prices put in a massive industrial generator which is surrounded very closely by homes on all sides. Why are they doing this and how can it be okay for safety, insurance, and noise ordinance of all the homes around it. My home is no more than 40 feet away from the generator.
What did you end up doing about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston