Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 03:21 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times

Advertisements

Pretty cool out today. Humid. But cool.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:22 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
"Houston has the worst weather in the United States"

This is the last thing that we need people to see when they look at the Houston City Data Forum. We already have to deal with the stigma we got from flooding and hurricanes, humidity and heat, traffic and crime, etc. We really don't need this thread to be at the top of the thread list in BOLD TYPE!
Why can't we have a thread title " Houston is the best kept secret in the United States" Shhhh! Don't tell anybody.
Saw someone on here (not this thread) post that she was told by a headhunter that, along with Minneapolis, Houston was the toughest city to recruit people to go to. And those two were the toughest to get people to leave.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:11 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Saw someone on here (not this thread) post that she was told by a headhunter that, along with Minneapolis, Houston was the toughest city to recruit people to go to. And those two were the toughest to get people to leave.
That is not even remotely true for Houston. From the USA Today:

Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, Texas
• 2010-2018 pop. growth: +17.7% (1.0 million)
• 2018 unemployment: 4.2%
• 2010-2018 employment change: +17.1% (+423,166)
• Median household income: $62,922

Along with Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston is one of only two metro areas now home to over a million more people than compared to 2010. Largely due to the population growth, the Houston metro area is now the fifth most populous metro area in the country, up from the sixth most populous in 2010.

The metro area's staggering 17.7% population growth since 2010 is due primarily to new residents moving in from other parts of the country and the world, but also in no small part to a births out numbering deaths.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:15 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
We hear that kind of thing said a lot (“people are walking all around Disney when it’s 96 degrees and humid”). And while there is some truth to it, it’s not a pretty sight. People soaked in sweat, pale faces turned beet red, heart rates elevated, short of breath, adrenal glands pumping, tempers foul and ready to explode at any moment. People are more standing than walking, more staggering than standing. Often they get disoriented. They suck on oversized icy drinks, desperately seeking the shade and air conditioning of the indoors...which is where they linger as long as possible once there. So for every 5 minutes of walking in the sweltering outdoors, another 25 minutes is spent trying to recover their body equilibrium inside a shop or restaurant. And at the end of the day, they are spent. And need 24 hours to recover. So aside from the sun burn, they’re dehydrated and weak the whole next day.

The only people that do well in the extreme heat seem to have: 1) an inherited genetic advantage (descending from generations who have lived in hot climates), 2) an adapted genetic advantage (growing up in a hot climate), and 3) are in regular practice, spending lots of time in the heat.
Well, I grew up in it and when I was a kid it didn’t really bother me. I think it was because I was outside all the time. Plus kids just handle heat better. But I’ve noticed a lot of kids today don’t handle it as well if they’re not always outside. So go outside and get acclimated. It’s not that bad. I couldn’t handle the cold. Someone above mentioned going to a festival in 6 degree weather. I just don’t know how I could handle that. And then to have to deal with ice and snow on top of that? No thanks. I’ll take the heat.

Old 08-23-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnz98 View Post
Been here a few months now, and now I think I have a good idea what the summers are like here. And I will still take this heat over the freezing weather of the north . Different strokes as they say
I don’t even think it’s been a very hot summer. We have had a few days lately that are hot, but we have had some pleasant evenings this summer. We even got a cool front, in July! That’s never happened that I can remember except when it got cool in August 1992 after Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines.

That was the first time Lollapolooza came to town and it was pleasant weather (though cloudy looking due to the volcano ash I guess). I remember thinking this is going to be miserable and why on earth would they schedule an all-day outdoor music festival in August, but it turned out to be great. The next year though...wow! I drank a smart drink just to see what it was like, and apparently that doesn’t go too well on a racetrack converted to a music festival in 100 degree weather with no shade. Yikes!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:17 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
"Houston has the worst weather in the United States"

This is the last thing that we need people to see when they look at the Houston City Data Forum. We already have to deal with the stigma we got from flooding and hurricanes, humidity and heat, traffic and crime, etc. We really don't need this thread to be at the top of the thread list in BOLD TYPE!
Why can't we have a thread title " Houston is the best kept secret in the United States" Shhhh! Don't tell anybody.
Yeah, isn't it terrible when someone goes to a city’s forum and posts negative comments...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...egas-fair.html

Old 08-23-2019, 10:34 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well, I grew up in it and when I was a kid it didn’t really bother me. I think it was because I was outside all the time. Plus kids just handle heat better. But I’ve noticed a lot of kids today don’t handle it as well if they’re not always outside. So go outside and get acclimated. It’s not that bad. I couldn’t handle the cold. Someone above mentioned going to a festival in 6 degree weather. I just don’t know how I could handle that. And then to have to deal with ice and snow on top of that? No thanks. I’ll take the heat.
Yeah, I was the festival goer. Miserable. None of this summer has been nearly as bad. Houston > Ohio

Old 08-24-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Yeah, I was the festival goer. Miserable. None of this summer has been nearly as bad. Houston > Ohio
I think the lowest temperature I’ve ever been in was seven degrees. I thought it was excruciatingly cold. Burr!

Old 08-25-2019, 05:03 PM
bu2

24,080 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post

Along with Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston is one of only two metro areas now home to over a million more people than compared to 2010. Largely due to the population growth, the Houston metro area is now the fifth most populous metro area in the country, up from the sixth most populous in 2010.

The metro area's staggering 17.7% population growth since 2010 is due primarily to new residents moving in from other parts of the country and the world, but also in no small part to a births out numbering deaths.
She was referring to headhunters.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:07 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post

Interestingly enough, Houston's growth seems to be coming strictly from international and natural increases at least in the last couple of years. In the last couple of years, Houston has been losing domestic migrants.

In 2017, Houston lost 10,372 domestic residents but had gained 43,094 international migrants. The natural increase 61,537.

In 2018, Houston lost 9,138 domestic residents but gained 44,535 international migrants. The natural increase was 56,119.

Between 2010 and 2016, Houston did gain domestic migrants. Is this a new trend or just a couple of bad years? We wont know for now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston