U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 PM

13 posts, read 33,180 times

Advertisements

Me and my lovely wife are moving to League City in the beginning of June 08. She is graduating as a RN in a week, and will be looking for work in a hospital or medical center. She would really love to work pediatrics if she has a choice, but anything will do. Any suggestions on places to work???? I am in the excavation business and am wondering how the market there is. Is the area developing rapidly, either residentially or municipally, or is the development market kind of stagnant? Also is there any parts of town or surrounding areas to avoid? We are looking to start a family and would like to be in a decent neighborhood. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 06:55 PM

6,623 posts, read 9,799,691 times
It is developing rapidly. There are several hospitals in the general area where you are moving - Clear Lake Regional Hospital, Christus St. John's and a new St. Lukes and I think maybe a smaller Texas Childrens (not sure on that last one though), Memorial Hermann Southeast. Other than that - she can go closer to the coast to UTMB or into Houston into the Medical Center which is world renowned and she'll have a bunch of facilities to choose from.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:24 AM

469 posts, read 970,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
Me and my lovely wife are moving to League City in the beginning of June 08. She is graduating as a RN in a week, and will be looking for work in a hospital or medical center. She would really love to work pediatrics if she has a choice, but anything will do. Any suggestions on places to work???? I am in the excavation business and am wondering how the market there is. Is the area developing rapidly, either residentially or municipally, or is the development market kind of stagnant? Also is there any parts of town or surrounding areas to avoid? We are looking to start a family and would like to be in a decent neighborhood. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

There are tons of new medical facilities being opened or planning to open all over the Houston metro area. Your lovely wife will have no problem finding work. Pediatrics is reallly competitive though and new grads very rarily get to start out working in Pediatrics. Most of the time they have to put a year or two in before they get hired into that area.

The excavation business is doing great right now and should as long as Houston keeps growing at the rate it has been. Residential is slowing a bit but commercial and road work are going like wild fire. If you need any help finding out were to apply shoot me an email and I will check around with my allumni network.

Good luck and welcome to the area.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 AM

11,435 posts, read 17,693,217 times
Enjoy the construction on I-45...both ways now.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 PM

6,623 posts, read 9,799,691 times
I go out 45 south all the time and the construction everyone mentions just isn't that bad.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:04 PM

802 posts, read 1,499,967 times
Just in time for Texas Medical Center hiring RNs and excavations! What a perfect couple. Stay close to work - TMC has a long wish list to build. Just look at the towering crains around here, probably comes to second from Dubai, eh. j/k

Old 04-19-2008, 04:00 AM

18 posts, read 25,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolsen View Post
Boy is it developing. I moved here 15 years ago and it was about 20,000. Now it's about 70,000 and I everytime I come home from college, something new is here I never saw, sometimes even in the matter of the week (that's usually been road construction lately though). It's amazing and if you stay by Bay Colony and Towne Center, you won't think much of all the businesses over there but they have almost all been built within the last 4-5 years. It's absolutely incredible.

The main constant for me is my neighborhood west of I-45 and many of the developments right along FM 518 Road (except a few new neighborhoods and places not far from Creekside Intermediate School, including Clear Springs High School).

Other than that, a lot has changed. As far as bad neighborhoods, there are some right by Clear Creek High School that I wouldn't recommend though by that same token, there are some great ones not far from it such as South Shore Harbor.

I'd say almost anything not far from FM 518 Road, specifically something close to I-45 so your wife can have an easier commute to either Houston or UTMB Galveston. Rustic Oaks, Brittany Bay, Creekside Estates (if you're really ballin') and the Oaks of Clear Creek are some of the neighborhoods I'd check out.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:19 AM

13 posts, read 33,180 times
Default Thanks for all the help

We really appreciate everyone helping us out! I will look into those neighborhoods for sure! Anybody know where i can get a list of houses up for rent? Preferably not apartments!

Old 04-19-2008, 11:30 PM

469 posts, read 970,700 times
Go on to HAR.com and click on all properties then select single family housing and lease tabs. And on the left hand side select areas you are interested in living. You can select multiple areas by holding down ctrl.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM

7,748 posts, read 18,491,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I go out 45 south all the time and the construction everyone mentions just isn't that bad.

You likely haven't driven in afternoon rush hour down there.

Or during Christmastime during afternoon rush hour.

The section is only a 3-4 miles, but I put the ''jam-factor'' at about the same as the stretch of 290 from 610 to 8 in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston