U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2019, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,592 posts, read 1,384,245 times
Reputation: 1050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
Well, I have friends whom live in this area and say they live in Katy. Why? Because their mailing address says so. That's the problem with anecdotal evidence; it's entirely circumstantial and often wholly subjective. Everyone I know DOES put the border at FM529. You know who also puts the border there? Harris County and Katy/Cypress themselves do, hence, the mailing address naming conventions stopping along FM 529. You think they did that but actually believe that's really still Cypress between Clay and FM 529? No, they didn't. If they had felt that way, then homes going down to Clay would have a Cypress address. Everything you just stated on this matter is you and your friends' own random notions, yet you just tried to pass it off as a fact.
Exactly. When I was moving to North North Katy (north of Clay Rd) I received Katy address. At that time I even had no clue about this North/South Katy segregation. Actually I found that out months later. From very beginning I considered that a part of Katy. Some older houses from 1980s in that area also had Katy mailing addresses. If your address says Katy, Google Maps says Katy and Apple Maps says Katy, why you should call it differently?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2019, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Houston
3,187 posts, read 2,569,026 times
Reputation: 2628
The identities of these areas have ALWAYS been tied primarily to school district. Not mailing address. The Cy-Lakes, Cy-Springs, and Cy-Park attendance zones are justifiably called Cy-Fair, because they are, and are part of the identity of Cypress. This is inarguable.

And if you had paid attention, I also call out the ridiculous folks from South Katy who seem to want to disown or excommunicate the northern portion of their school district that they find embarrassing. The Katy and Cy-Fair communities have to OWN these parts of their identities, period. Just because the demographics are more working-class in the "embarrassing" areas does not make them any less worthy of inclusion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 12:53 PM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,592 posts, read 1,384,245 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The identities of these areas have ALWAYS been tied primarily to school district. Not mailing address. The Cy-Lakes, Cy-Springs, and Cy-Park attendance zones are justifiably called Cy-Fair, because they are, and are part of the identity of Cypress. This is inarguable.
Why?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 04:17 PM
Status: "Survived 2020" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Katy,TX.
3,699 posts, read 7,531,949 times
Reputation: 3477
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The identities of these areas have ALWAYS been tied primarily to school district. Not mailing address. The Cy-Lakes, Cy-Springs, and Cy-Park attendance zones are justifiably called Cy-Fair, because they are, and are part of the identity of Cypress. This is inarguable.

And if you had paid attention, I also call out the ridiculous folks from South Katy who seem to want to disown or excommunicate the northern portion of their school district that they find embarrassing. The Katy and Cy-Fair communities have to OWN these parts of their identities, period. Just because the demographics are more working-class in the "embarrassing" areas does not make them any less worthy of inclusion.
Most people I’ve met from that area, call it Cypress. I also subscribe to the school zone method when dealing with unincorporated areas. Oh’well lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
1,503 posts, read 2,980,041 times
Reputation: 1492
Default Its Cy-Fair

Anything off of Fry rd north of Clay is considered Cy-Fair . The unincorporated Katy area is generally considered to be the Katy ISD boundary limits. I know that they still give the bear creek area around Fry and Little York a Katy address but that will likely change when the new Zip Codes are applied. Then 77449 will be limited to only the Katy ISD boundaries. 77084 will also be split and possibly 77494 as well, that will be a war. Then IDK if that area will be considered Cypress or if it will continue to be part of Katy. It is not a bad area at all and that area has one of the hottest housing markets on the West side. 77449 is still a fast growing zip code. At over 120k population it really is too big to be just 1 zip code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Most people I’ve met from that area, call it Cypress. I also subscribe to the school zone method when dealing with unincorporated areas. Oh’well lol

Last edited by jd433; 09-08-2019 at 04:56 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Upper Kirby, Houston, TX
1,335 posts, read 1,484,245 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Most people I’ve met from that area, call it Cypress. I also subscribe to the school zone method when dealing with unincorporated areas. Oh’well lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The identities of these areas have ALWAYS been tied primarily to school district. Not mailing address. The Cy-Lakes, Cy-Springs, and Cy-Park attendance zones are justifiably called Cy-Fair, because they are, and are part of the identity of Cypress. This is inarguable.

And if you had paid attention, I also call out the ridiculous folks from South Katy who seem to want to disown or excommunicate the northern portion of their school district that they find embarrassing. The Katy and Cy-Fair communities have to OWN these parts of their identities, period. Just because the demographics are more working-class in the "embarrassing" areas does not make them any less worthy of inclusion.
So people in the Woodlands that attend Klein Oak are within Klein or Spring? Those in the woodlands that attend Conroe ISD are now in Conroe? Those that are within Jersey Village or near the beltway are now also considered in 'Cypress' because they're also within Cy Fair ISD? The notion that schoolzone boundaries are an accurate way to delineate municipality boundaries is just silly, even if it is somewhat common on here.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 08:06 PM
 
82 posts, read 38,843 times
Reputation: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Exactly. When I was moving to North North Katy (north of Clay Rd) I received Katy address. At that time I even had no clue about this North/South Katy segregation. Actually I found that out months later. From very beginning I considered that a part of Katy. Some older houses from 1980s in that area also had Katy mailing addresses. If your address says Katy, Google Maps says Katy and Apple Maps says Katy, why you should call it differently?
Did you know most of the 77084 and 77094 areas are zoned to Katy ISD even though those areas have a Houston address. 77084 and 77094 both north and south of IH-10 would you consider that to be the farthest West Houston or basically south and north Katy with a Houston mailing address??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Houston TX
1,592 posts, read 1,384,245 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnley View Post
Did you know most of the 77084 and 77094 areas are zoned to Katy ISD even though those areas have a Houston address. 77084 and 77094 both north and south of IH-10 would you consider that to be the farthest West Houston or basically south and north Katy with a Houston mailing address??
I don't care about those schools. Those boundaries are artificial. I trust only geographical/postal boundaries.
Imagine, you live in North North Katy (north of Clay Rd) and you are having emergency in your house. You are calling police or fire department. Which address are you going to give them? Your official Katy address or maybe tell them something about school zones?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 04:13 AM
Status: "Survived 2020" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Katy,TX.
3,699 posts, read 7,531,949 times
Reputation: 3477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I don't care about those schools. Those boundaries are artificial. I trust only geographical/postal boundaries.
Imagine, you live in North North Katy (north of Clay Rd) and you are having emergency in your house. You are calling police or fire department. Which address are you going to give them? Your official Katy address or maybe tell them something about school zones?
lol, you're going to get the same emergency response as the rest of unincorporated Cy-fair ( HCSO and HCESD #9) . What you won't be getting is KISD police, Katy PD, Katy FD, or any of the volunteer fire department south of that area.

Psst...just so you know HCESD #9 is the Cy-fair Fire department https://www.hcesd9.org/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Houston
3,187 posts, read 2,569,026 times
Reputation: 2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
So people in the Woodlands that attend Klein Oak are within Klein or Spring? Those in the woodlands that attend Conroe ISD are now in Conroe? Those that are within Jersey Village or near the beltway are now also considered in 'Cypress' because they're also within Cy Fair ISD? The notion that schoolzone boundaries are an accurate way to delineate municipality boundaries is just silly, even if it is somewhat common on here.
The Woodlands is a very specific private development. It extends from Conroe ISD into Tomball ISD and, according to you (I'm not sure you're correct on this), Klein ISD. You can be in The Woodlands and also be in Tomball or Klein. (Though Tomball is an actual incorporated town.)

Bridgeland, I believe, will also extend into Waller ISD. Those folks will no longer get to claim "Cypress".

You just seem to want to let Katy and Cypress folks exclude the area between Morton and Longenbaugh from their community identities just because it doesn't fit their desired demographic images. Sorry, that's ridiculous.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top