Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 01:43 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,069,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
But Shadow Creek is in Alvin ISD not Pearland ISD, just so you get the picture there.
A part of western Shadow Creek is in Fort Bend ISD, and the families there seem to dislike the zoning as they're assigned to Willowridge and its feeders. AFAIK they're trying to move into Alvin ISD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Schools are overrated in the grand scheme as you can educate your kid in ways we never had. The folks going back into the wards ain’t worrying about their zones. We need to focus on making our areas better.
Has there been a mass movement from the wealthy Riverside Terrace folk, black and white, to send their kids to Lockhart Elementary and Baylor Middle at Ryan? I believe magnet and private schools are still preferred by the well to do there, but I would love to see Lockhart be at the same level as Roberts, Twain, West U, etc

Re: the earlier discussion, I found maps of Pecan Grove:
You can see the relative position of Richmond
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 02:07 AM

24 posts, read 22,142 times
Fort bend ISD, Sienna Plantation / Riverstone / Sugar Land specifically....trust me.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:00 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
What’s the end game? Go to a high school with 1500 kids and top 50% gets you nowhere or go somewhere where you can top 25% and easy scholarship funds. That’s probably the most realistic decision.
Do you have a child?

Old 09-13-2019, 01:20 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,194,811 times
Going outside of the box here and suggest the master-planned community of Bridgeland. Here is why:

So large that it will contain 3 school districts - Waller, Cy-Fair and Katy. Waller is down the road yet. Cy-Fair schools can be so-so up to excellent. Bridgeland's are excellent and IN the community. Master planned community = amenities galore. Family centered. One of my favorites is the Howloween parade (animals dressed up). Will you be a large percentage of the population, being AA? Nope - but here is the beauty - NO ONE IS. This is the most mixed neighborhood I have ever seen. People from all over the world. Block parties with amazing food from everywhere.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:18 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,216,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
top 25%.... easy scholarship funds<<<<<<<<

You possibly haven't had uni aged kids for a while.
Seen it with my own eyes - schools like A&M are so desperate for minorities with good grades from city schools they’ll overpay for them when other schools don’t allocate the same funds for them.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:49 PM

388 posts, read 548,895 times
Perhaps you could cite some info? Define minority? Define good grades? What schools are like A&M LOL? Explain overpaying?

Old 09-14-2019, 12:18 AM

82 posts, read 68,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
To be honest, I get a different impression. I pretty much only see Blacks discuss race when looking for places to go. Sometimes you will see Indians, but that's about it. And that's just fine. What the OP wants for his child is very reasonable.
Indians aren’t a race.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:37 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,032 times
The parts of Humble ISD zones to Atascocita HS might also be worth considering. Something like 42% white, 32% Hispanic, 21% black...

Lots of choices of nice diverse neighborhoods in that area.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:50 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
The parts of Humble ISD zones to Atascocita HS might also be worth considering. Something like 42% white, 32% Hispanic, 21% black...

Lots of choices of nice diverse neighborhoods in that area.
Humble ISD doesn’t have the best schools though

Old 09-15-2019, 01:03 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,216,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
Perhaps you could cite some info? Define minority? Define good grades? What schools are like A&M LOL? Explain overpaying?
Had 2 relatives who had decent grades and top 15% in HISD at a minority school.

HBCUs, etc didn’t offer no to little money as normally they prefer to spend the major funds on scholars in the top 5% of their class.

Next thing you know Texas A&M comes in and gives them way more than they even thought and they put no real effort into seeking funds from there. Schools are under the gun for diversity so location does matter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston