Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 8,066 times

Advertisements

First off I want to make clear that this thread is in no way racist, I am only posting my observations. I’m not a racist either, I was raised in a diverse environment and have had many black classmates and friends over the years.

I grew up in far west Houston, I was born at the West Houston Medical Center and have lived in the west side for the first 15 years of my life until I was forced to move to Katy after my freshman year in high school back in the summer of 2008.

I have relocated to the Energy Corridor and after becoming reacquainted with the areas of my past I have noticed many areas west of beltway 8 primarily around Kirkwood/Dairy Ashford/Westheimer towards West Oaks have become very black. The entire west area between SH6 and BW8 throughout the Westheimer Corridor appears to have developed a very large black population. By appearance, it seems the area is exclusively black with a black majority. Anyone you see walking or driving everywhere is almost always black.

I’m not saying this area never had any blacks, it’s always been diverse - especially during my childhood when I was growing up there throughout the 90s and 2000s. I don’t remember there ever being a white majority even when I was little during the mid-to-late 1990s there had always been an even mixture of Whites/Hispanics/Blacks/Asians/Middle Eastern though I think whites still had a slight majority. I’ve obviously been in the area during and after Katrina too but coming back over a decade later in the late 2010s it appears the black presence has doubled or even tripled since then. The general areas I’m referring to are in the zip code boundaries of 77077, 77042, and 77082. I’m noticing lots of storefronts around Westheimer west of Dairy Ashford catering to Africans and African Americans in general such as African Markets, braids, black barbershops, African and African American cuisine, etc. There are a lot more African stores especially around West Oaks.

I have been in the Galleria area for the last 5 years and even the Galleria is starting to develop a notable black population however it’s still nowhere near as noticeable as the areas surrounding the Energy Corridor, West Oaks, and Westchase.

So what is the reason for the very large influx of blacks into the far west area? Most of the people I see appear to be section 8 tenants living in nearby apartments or rental homes. I can clearly differentiate a person based off their general appearance no matter what their skin tone/race is and these people clearly don’t appear to be doing well for themselves.

Someone here will probably post a dated racial demographics chart showings the percentage of groups with something like blacks being 3rd place at only %18-20 behind Hispanics and Whites. It feels more like blacks are the majority now with over 50% well above any other racial group out there.

Last edited by Kaiba; 09-21-2019 at 08:56 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 08:51 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
Anytime someone has to say they are not a racist, well, you know what that means.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:28 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post
First off I want to make clear that this thread is in no way racist, I am only posting my observations. I’m not a racist either, I was raised in a diverse environment and have had many black classmates and friends over the years.

I grew up in far west Houston, I was born at the West Houston Medical Center and have lived in the west side for the first 15 years of my life until I was forced to move to Katy after my freshman year in high school back in the summer of 2008.

I have relocated to the Energy Corridor and after becoming reacquainted with the areas of my past I have noticed many areas west of beltway 8 primarily around Kirkwood/Dairy Ashford/Westheimer towards West Oaks have become very black. The entire west area between SH6 and BW8 throughout the Westheimer Corridor appears to have developed a very large black population. By appearance, it seems the area is exclusively black with a black majority. Anyone you see walking or driving everywhere is almost always black.

I’m not saying this area never had any blacks, it’s always been diverse - especially during my childhood when I was growing up there throughout the 90s and 2000s. I don’t remember there ever being a white majority even when I was little during the mid-to-late 1990s there had always been an even mixture of Whites/Hispanics/Blacks/Asians/Middle Eastern though I think whites still had a slight majority. I’ve obviously been in the area during and after Katrina too but coming back over a decade later in the late 2010s it appears the black presence has doubled or even tripled since then. The general areas I’m referring to are in the zip code boundaries of 77077, 77042, and 77082. I’m noticing lots of storefronts around Westheimer west of Dairy Ashford catering to Africans and African Americans in general such as African Markets, braids, black barbershops, African and African American cuisine, etc. There are a lot more African stores especially around West Oaks.

I have been in the Galleria area for the last 5 years and even the Galleria is starting to develop a notable black population however it’s still nowhere near as noticeable as the areas surrounding the Energy Corridor, West Oaks, and Westchase.

So what is the reason for the very large influx of blacks into the far west area? Most of the people I see appear to be section 8 tenants living in nearby apartments or rental homes. I can clearly differentiate a person based off their general appearance no matter what their skin tone/race is and these people clearly don’t appear to be doing well for themselves.

Someone here will probably post a dated racial demographics chart showings the percentage of groups with something like blacks being 3rd place at only %18-20 behind Hispanics and Whites. It feels more like blacks are the majority now with over 50% well above any other racial group out there.
White people are gentrifying inner loop neighborhoods and blacks are replacing them in the burbs, it's the old switcherroo ….

Old 09-21-2019, 09:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
I wish this post was on Facebook so I could easily follow the comments while this post stays up.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:03 PM

472 posts, read 335,627 times
I read the original post and I did NOT find it to be racist. The wording could have been adjusted to make it sound more sociological and less casual, but I have no objection to it.

And finally, I feel compelled to close this post of mine with the appeal to all readers to proactively support racial integration and racial intermarriage and to actively denounce not just racial discrimination but racial cultural identification as well. People of all races should seek to minimize their (mostly illusory) differences and maximize their exposure and interaction with one another.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:20 AM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
real simple - blacks ( I am one) move to an area and normally will keep moving in the same direction to newer housing. Alief is an area with plenty of starter housing - folks who grew up that way don't want to live in the same environment but they still want to live close to mom and pops so lets move to next newer area. West Oaks has changed tremendously so folks can get good deals also.

happens all over Houston -

3rd ward > South Houston/Missouri City > Fresno > Pearland/Rosharon (off 288)

Missouri City > Pearland

Acres Homes/Studewood > Aldine/Greenspoint > 1960 area (Veterans Memorial) > Spring

5th Ward/Pleasantville > North Shore Area / Atascocita

5th Ward/Settegast > North Forest Area > Humble > Atascocita

529 Area/Katy > from all over > Waller, Hempstead, Hockley, etc.

the question you need to ask is why white flight?

Old 09-22-2019, 12:56 AM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
real simple - blacks ( I am one) move to an area and normally will keep moving in the same direction to newer housing. Alief is an area with plenty of starter housing - folks who grew up that way don't want to live in the same environment but they still want to live close to mom and pops so lets move to next newer area. West Oaks has changed tremendously so folks can get good deals also.

happens all over Houston -

3rd ward > South Houston/Missouri City > Fresno > Pearland/Rosharon (off 288)

Missouri City > Pearland

Acres Homes/Studewood > Aldine/Greenspoint > 1960 area (Veterans Memorial) > Spring

5th Ward/Pleasantville > North Shore Area / Atascocita

5th Ward/Settegast > North Forest Area > Humble > Atascocita

529 Area/Katy > from all over > Waller, Hempstead, Hockley, etc.

the question you need to ask is why white flight?
You know why there is white flight, and on some level you probably wish it wasn't the reality that it is, but ironically it is that white flight that is making so much of that real estate blacks are pursuing so much more affordable.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:43 AM

472 posts, read 335,627 times
White flight in Houston today is very real. And hilarious when you think about it. Imagine if whole neighborhoods of blonde people panicked and fled from redheads. Or imagine if green-eyed people fled from blue-eyed neighborhoods. Or imagine if tall people fled from short people. Hilarious when you think about it.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:35 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiba View Post

And Missouri City too. My cousin is married to a black man and they moved to Missouri City from the DFW area, which didn’t surprise me.

Old 09-22-2019, 01:52 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper_head View Post
White flight in Houston today is very real. And hilarious when you think about it. Imagine if whole neighborhoods of blonde people panicked and fled from redheads. Or imagine if green-eyed people fled from blue-eyed neighborhoods. Or imagine if tall people fled from short people. Hilarious when you think about it.
I agree, it's pretty laughable shen you put it that way. In my city, Black people are fleeing the Hispanics as the Whites run from them both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston