U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 11:19 PM

4,789 posts, read 8,763,022 times

Advertisements

Re: Vanguard programs (which would apply for T. H. Rogers and Lanier) on https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/59885 it still makes a reference for testing being needed for the Vanguard magnet. Not sure about other magnets... a lot of the regarded Inner Loop elementaries canceled their magnets because there are too many neighborhood students needing spaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I would go with West U, Horn, Lovett, River Oaks. Poe is fine. I would have put my children there. I can’t predict what the middle schools will be like by the time you get there. They have taken away all entry requirements for middle schools, so they may be fine or go downhill.
Some other elementary maps:
Respective middle school maps:
Feeder patterns:
  • Poe and River Oaks both feed into Lanier Middle and Lamar High.
  • West U and Horn both feed into Pershing Middle. All of the West U zone feeds into Lamar High while most of the Horn zone feeds into Bellaire with a few apartment complexes (I think) to the north, in Houston, zoned to Lamar.
  • Lovett is divided between Pershing and Meyerland (ex-Johnston) middle schools, and is zoned to Bellaire.
  • The Oak Forest zone is zoned to Black Middle and Waltrip High

Last edited by Vicman; 10-19-2019 at 11:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 08:24 AM

Re: the Pershing zone I meant areas north of Beechnut, not Bellaire. My mistake!

Note the HISD radius for transportation for both zoned schools and for magnet programs is two miles: https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/31935 , this was true a decade ago Transportation Services Public

Old 10-21-2019, 01:05 PM

11 posts, read 5,071 times
I don't know that you will find any preschools in the area that "prep" for Vanguard testing and/or private school testing. A good preschool will work on building social skills and instill a love of learning in your child. Our kids went to St. Paul's Methodist (at the end of the medical center) and tested into HISD Vanguard for Kindergarten. They were used to working with adults and didn't mind walking off with the tester-- sometimes that is half the battle. Also, many of the private schools strongly discourage prepping your kids for their entrance exams and will disqualify your kiddo if they can tell that they've had a lot of test prep.

There are no "feeder" schools for the private schools, unless you are talking about the private schools which start with Pre-K 2/3/4 classes and then the kids continue into primary school at that school. If you ask at an HISD Vanguard schools where the majority of kids went to preschool, it will inevitably be at schools close to that HISD campus. For example, if you ask at West U where most of the kids went to preschool, it will be West U Methodist, West U Baptist, St. Andrew's, Bellaire Methodist, St. Luke's Methodist, St. Paul's Methodist and Pooh Corner because they are all close to West U. There will be kids who went to other preschools a little further out-- usually because the parents are church members.

Old 10-22-2019, 01:04 PM

I wanted to see what admissions were like for Pin Oak Middle's magnet. I chose Pin Oak to represent it as a typical Inner Loop middle school to see how many admissions processes changed for that level, but the information revealed that Pin Oak is/was the only one of the Inner Loop area middle schools that seems to have had a significant change in admissions to be "open enrollment" for the magnet.

The website https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/103931 says there's a "matrix" considered including grades. HISD lists what qualifies each student for each magnet here https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/135803 -- Pershing requires an audition, but there is no minimum cutoff to apply for Pin Oak, as it is described as "Open Enrollment". (the young women's school is the only middle school with a numerical cutoff, while the Vanguards (among them Lanier and Rogers) require G/T identification and several of the others (among them Meyerland, formerly Johnston) require auditions). Garden Oaks and Wilson require students to have already been in a Montessori program, the Mandarin school requires an existing level of Chinese vocab, and Wharton requires recent bilingual or dual language experience.

The FAQ states "Pin Oak no longer requires a matrix score to apply for our magnet program." https://www.houstonisd.org/cms/lib2/...02019.2020.pdf . It does not specify what criterion is used to select magnet students. It specifies there is a separate lottery for "boundary option" but that is a different program. However the HISD matrix page states "Some secondary programs use a matrix to qualify students. Students who are qualified are entered in a lottery to determine who is offered a seat. This year, all schools that use a matrix will be using the same matrix."

It sounds like after entering there is no minimum score to get a seat at Pin Oak. This differs from Pershing, Meyerland, Lanier, and Rogers which do have additional requirements.

I notice the HISD high schools almost all have minimum scores to get in. It may be a function of more applications than seats? I wonder if the opening of additional magnet middle school program means that schools don't have as much bargaining power by way of grades?

I wanted to compare this with the Pin Oak admissions info from 2007. That said that academic history is used to determine acceptance for the magnet, but no further information specified Pin Oak Middle School

Last edited by Vicman; 10-22-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 10-22-2019, 01:21 PM

4,898 posts, read 12,331,661 times
If you live in west Bellaire you get Condit/Pershing(or Pin Oak)/Bellaire High which is good all the way through. Same with West U/Lamar/Lanier. Oak Forest is good through middle with Oak Forest Elem/Frank Black so thats fine unless you are sure you will stay in the same house for over 9 years in which case you gamble on Waltrip or the lottery.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:42 PM

West U is in the Pershing/Pin Oak feeder and then Lamar, but a lot of West U kids go to Lanier anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
If you live in west Bellaire you get Condit/Pershing(or Pin Oak)/Bellaire High which is good all the way through. Same with West U/Lamar/Lanier. Oak Forest is good through middle with Oak Forest Elem/Frank Black so thats fine unless you are sure you will stay in the same house for over 9 years in which case you gamble on Waltrip or the lottery.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:25 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,940,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprasan1985 View Post
Hello! We're looking for good preschools for our 2 year old daughter. We both work in the Med Center, but are willing to commute a bit for preschool if it means a great early childhood education. Our ultimate goals when it's time for her Kindergarten are either 1) vanguard public school (hopefully if she qualifies), or 2) private school like St. John's, Kinkaid or Awty. Not quite sure yet about public versus private school for K and onward. Unsure if we can afford to buy into a great neighborhood school that's not too far from the med center, so would like to keep both public and private options open at this time. Ideally, we'd send her to a preschool that inculcates a love for school and learning, and whose curriculum is "prep" for Vanguard testing and private testing (WPPSI/WISC) would be perfect.

Are there preschools that are known within the (seemingly impenetrable) academic social circles for being "feeder" preschools? Or to put it differently, what preschools are heavily represented among students who are now in Vanguard public or competitive private schools?

Thanks in advance!
It's good to plan in advance, but as the parent of an 8 y/o who tried to plan like you, I will tell you that you are probably overthinking things. We went to Esperanza for preschool, tested into Vanguard, and ultimately went to our zoned school (Lovett) as a GT student. We toured about a dozen schools, and kept a spreadsheet of the pros and cons, Children at Risk scores, etc. We are analytical people, so this worked well with how our brains think about life. However, this isn't a Return on Investment calculation, and your child isn't subject to your analysis! They don't fit in any one particular box. What we have found is that our child is strong in certain subjects and quite weak in others, and we had no idea what those were until they were well into school (this year in fact!). Yours is likely the same. So my suggestion is focus on a good school, but don't kill yourself on trying to find the "best" or even the "right" school, because you frankly don't know what best and right means for your child at this point. If you have a healthy housing budget, the schools mentioned above are all good, and your child should thrive at any of them.

And as far as Vanguard prepping, there is no need to prep for it. In fact you don't want to. It's meant to gauge the aptitude of a child, not a prepped child. Most any quality pre-school in the area will get them ready for Kinder.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:14 PM

15 posts, read 10,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
HISD has taken away so much funding for the magnet and vanguard schools, I would not go into it at this point. You must be zoned for the schools you want going forward in HISD. They’ve done away with waitlists for the magnet/vanguard schools, so getting in is very questionable at this point. We will know more after this year’s magnet/vanguard applications go. After being in the HISD system for many years as a parent and educator, I would tell you to proceed with caution.

Changes- less funding and seats available

After lottery is run, the winners and losers have no recourse, any available seats are given to new students that are zoned or to out of district applicants for tuition

My advice: use zoned schools or get a k-12 private school
Thank you Meyerland, I was not aware of the funding issues. Will definitely look into that further. Do you think the magnet program may be completely eliminated at some point? Regardless, it seems to be getting more difficult each year to get into magnet programs. Zoned vs private seems to be the wise shortlist of options.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I would look into St. Mark’s Episcopal school. It is right outside the medical center and is a great school. They start at 2 years old.
Thank you for this suggestion! Set up a tour with them next month

Old 10-30-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You do know she is two years old. Let her be a kid and don't push academics at this age. Preschool should be play based and fun. You cannot know at this age what kind of student she will be later on.
Fair point. No way to know what her interests and abilities will be later. Just want to keep all doors open for now, preferably in a fun, play-based preschool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or