U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 05:44 PM

5 posts, read 1,749 times

Advertisements

OP, I saw a flyer that St. Mark's is having Pre-K and K information session tomorrow at 9 am. Sorry I don't have any input since I am new to this also.

I'm having similar dilemma as OP, hope you don't mind I'm tagging along in this thread. It's been very helpful! We are currently live in Aliana (NE corner) w/ 3 yo daughter. FBISD was proposing to rezone my section earlier this year due to underutilize of Holley Elem. (Four Corners area) and Madden Elem. in Aliana is at max capacity. The new Malala Elem. in Aliana is a bit far from us for them to even consider zoning us there. The neighborhood voiced the concern and we are fine for next school year. But who knows what they are going to do later on. I think we should get out now before next rezone happens. Any input on how frequent FBISD attempt to rezone?

My husband works in Spring Valley and my job is on beltway and harwin. We are contemplating between Katy or Spring Branch since both school district are great. HISD is too uncertain right now so I don't want to get into it.

SBISD - Pros: Shorter commute for both of us, close to husband's job. He can easily do the drop off/pick up. I'm working 4/10 schedule so I can go to work early and leave at decent time (currently have drop off duty and it takes forever!). Still relatively close to both side of our parents. Cons: $$$$ paying premium price for townhome (zone to VOE, SBMS, MHS). HOA is a break even for us considering it comes with water, ground maintenance). Property tax will be about 2k higher than what we are paying now. We looked at Notthingham Forest and decided against it since we are not the most savvy fixer upper.

KISD: - Pros: Lower prices even with pool can be found with older homes. Cons: Too far from our parents (or is that a pro? lol). Commute is going to be worse than right now. If new built, the property tax is way too high.

I've been staring at the spreadsheet and punch list for awhile and can't wrap my head around it. SB makes more logical sense to us and they have pre-k program (tuition based). I tend to overthink things and I hope someone here could chime in with their past experience. Sorry if this is too long, my first post after lurking for years!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 06:33 PM

15 posts, read 10,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP83 View Post
OP, I saw a flyer that St. Mark's is having Pre-K and K information session tomorrow at 9 am. Sorry I don't have any input since I am new to this also.
Thanks for the heads up. Is there a website that mentions this? I checked their website and can't find a pre-K and K info session tomorrow.

Old 11-11-2019, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 1,749 times
Sorry, I misread. This is for St. Mark Lutheran in Spring Branch, not St. Mark Episcopal.

Old 11-17-2019, 01:52 AM

4,789 posts, read 8,762,593 times
I'm interested in seeing a comparison of funding levels by year for magnet programs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonianmom View Post
I would try to live in Spring Branch ISD, or send her to private preschools like St. Mark’s Episcopal or River Oaks Baptist School, and apply for St. John’s when it’s time for her Kindergarten. HISD has taken away so much funding for the magnet and vanguard schools, I would not go into it.
The school board doesn't seem long for this world, and in any case many of the bad members were voted out or didn't run for re-election. In any case I wish Houston would get a public school system with mayoral control to avoid those bad racial politics, but that would require an act of state government to transform HISD into a City of Houston-controlled district, and to perhaps re-evaluate relationships of other municipalities which are partially served by HISD.

A lot of the elementary-level magnet programs in inner westside HISD have closed anyway because there is too much demand from neighborhood parents. West U Elementary no longer has a magnet for a reason. By 2015, when the magnet was shuttered, a total of 41 students not in the West U zone were in the magnet anyway. http://archive.is/N465u This was due to the large number of zoned families coming into West U ES https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...ke-6219494.php

From the listing of elementary magnets at https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/120593 I find, in addition to West U : Horn, Roberts, and Twain don't have magnets anymore either (they showed up in this 2007 list http://web.archive.org/web/200711010...0028147fa6RCRD )

FYI Oak Forest Elementary's only magnet program is Vanguard https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/120593 , and requires GT certification in order to get in. https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/120695 - Magnet programs that are not Vanguard, nor Dual Language or Montessori do not have admissions requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I was tired of HISD's BS and disaster of an education board. I don't think the lottery system works, or really benefits anyone. It does more to prevent neighborhood schools from thriving and getting better.

Last edited by Vicman; 11-17-2019 at 02:16 AM..

Old 11-25-2019, 01:47 PM

Ok, so having toured/talked to a bunch of preschools, we've narrowed down our current choices to 3 schools. More on the 3 schools below. We ruled out Montessori because our kid is currently in an accredited Montessori school and it's just not a good fit for her learning style - she needs some structure and more individualized attention. We're also unable to apply to the PK3 programs (ROBS, AOS, Presbyterian, Awty) as she won't be 3 years old by September 1. We're looking for play based programs with a strong curriculum starting at PK3/PK4, so she's ready for K at any good public (vanguard if she qualifies) or private school. Want to keep all options open still.

The three preschools we're trying to decide between (not in order):
1) St. Mark's Episcopal School
2) St. Paul's School
3) Becker School

Any thoughts on these three schools?

Old 11-26-2019, 11:29 AM

16,691 posts, read 19,271,796 times
Are you Jewish? The Becker school sounds great, but it is a Jewish curriculum, so depending on your religion, you may or may not like that. The kids participate in the Synagogue from an early age.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Are you Jewish? The Becker school sounds great, but it is a Jewish curriculum, so depending on your religion, you may or may not like that. The kids participate in the Synagogue from an early age.
We toured the school and really liked what we saw. The Jewish curriculum didn't bother us too much; IMO it wasn't too different from the Catholic/Episcopalian/Presbyterian etc schools with chapel and hymns and such. We're neither Christian nor Jewish, and are on board with spiritual education as long as it isn't indoctrination level stuff. We do know of a few non-Jewish families at Becker who were very happy. I'm not sure if it's different at other predominantly Jewish schools (Shlenker, Beth Yeshurun etc), but the impression we got was Becker was quite accepting and quite diverse. Not unlike St. Paul's, not unlike St. Mark's. Hence our dilemma

Keep your inputs coming, me and future forum members greatly appreciate it!

Old 11-27-2019, 04:15 AM

4,789 posts, read 8,762,593 times
There's a section of KISD that's right next to SBISD (I think Thornwood), though I don't know if the prices are that much lower. It's zoned to Wolfe Elementary School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTP83 View Post
KISD: - Pros: Lower prices even with pool can be found with older homes. Cons: Too far from our parents (or is that a pro? lol). Commute is going to be worse than right now. If new built, the property tax is way too high.

I've been staring at the spreadsheet and punch list for awhile and can't wrap my head around it. SB makes more logical sense to us and they have pre-k program (tuition based). I tend to overthink things and I hope someone here could chime in with their past experience. Sorry if this is too long, my first post after lurking for years!

Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 PM

78 posts, read 76,603 times
You should strongly consider St. Mark's Episcopal School. It's a great school and great community. I think you would like it. Check it out stmes.org.

Old 12-01-2019, 01:17 PM

11 posts, read 5,063 times
Both of our kids attended St. Paul's and we had a fantastic experience. One started in PK-3 and the other started in the 6 month old program. I really liked that the school was play based, but if you had a child who was ready for more academics, they would work with your child individually. Our first child was reading by PK-4 and the teachers would sit with him and help him sound out words. They weren't focusing strictly on academics, but would definitely work with the kids where they were. We also liked the after school Fine Arts program- kids did music and dance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or