U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 10:01 AM

5,142 posts, read 4,037,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
But its not about population size, its about O&D demand.

In 2019, the Bay Area as a whole had about 40,000,000 domestic O&D passengers and another 9,000,000 international O&D passengers.

In 2019, DFW/DAL as a whole had about 25,000,000 domestic O&D passengers and another 3,500,000 international O&D passengers.

In 2019, IAH/HOU as a whole had about 16,600,000 domestic O&D passengers and another 5,300,000 international O&D passengers.

While population may be similar, demand is certainly not.
Makes sense. Does tech drive a lot more air travel than other industries?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 10:49 AM

19 posts, read 12,362 times
Bay Area tourism is huge (wine country is nearby) and the surrounding regional populations (San Joaquin valley, Central Coast all the way down to SLO) are significant compared to Texas, all of which use the Bay Area airport system for non-regional travel (people even drive from Sacramento, which has its own Airport, for travel).

Old 10-02-2020, 11:08 AM

791 posts, read 563,684 times
The eagerness for business travel may never be back. That will require lots of service job changes.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:35 PM

7,390 posts, read 4,086,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
The eagerness for business travel may never be back. That will require lots of service job changes.
It will definitely be back. Its already moving in that direction. It just wont be as large is the difference.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Makes sense. Does tech drive a lot more air travel than other industries?
They traditionally have and the Bay Area also has a huge tourist component.

Old 10-05-2020, 03:25 PM

6,049 posts, read 3,357,101 times
My pipe dream because I couldn't pick one is a combination of the way I would like Houston to move in the next 30-40 years.

Basically a more "urban" Houston. Now what does that mean?

I think good urban planning actually leads to safer cities, as in less people on bikes getting hit, less car accidents and less crime.

So my "vision" would see Houston hit 4,000,000 people and the MSA be well over 10,000,000 people. It would also see the disannexation of Kingwood and Clear Lake. Kingwood is simple as it isn't at all connected to Houston and the parts of Houston along Lake Houston's West coast would go to Atascocita and the East Coast would form a new community called Lake Houston. Clear Lake would be basically everything in Houston South and East of Ellington Field within the portion of the city limits outside the Sam Houston loop. I would deannex smaller areas. Fort Bend Houston would go to Mo-city, a lot of empty spaces would get filled up by suburbs annexing said empty space. I'm basically going for a Phoenix/Dallas model as I think that is actually plays a role in why people are attracted to those areas, the large suburbs can make for a more beautiful and interesting city. For example the Northshore neighborhood and Galena Park+Jacinto City+Channelview+Cloverleaf all the way up to Sheldon lake would just become a new city, likely called Northshore.

The Memorial Villages, West U/Bellaire/Southside Place would be part of the City of Houston, hopefully all the above happens willingly as I think in 30 years, Houston and much of the U.S.A due to demographic changes will be more prosperous as older cities, generally are wealthier, and significantly safer than Younger ones and Houston and all American cities are trending older, so their won't be as much delineation as before between suburbs, and city.

So, Katy, Cypress, Klein, Spring, The Woodlands, Fulshear, Richmond Sugar Land, Pearland, Manvel, Friendswood, Alvin, Tomball, Conroe, Baytown, Mont Belvieu and the list goes on... will all incorporate and/or grow significantly in size. The only area that wouldn't be as effected is Galveston County.

So how Houston would get 4,000,000 people. So while I would de-annex two large areas. Places like Aldine would be annexed, the rest of Alief up to highway 6 would be annexed, and so net population difference wouldn't be that much, although land wise Houston would lose about 50 square miles.

The inner loop would have about 1,000,000 people, and the population increase would be extremely weighted places like Midtown would have densities approaching 40,000 ppsm or 50,000 people. EaDo would have about 45,000 people (35,000 ppsm), Downtown would have about 30,000 ppsm or just over 50,000 people. The Third Ward would also have about 30,000 ppsm or 70,000 people.
Roughly 200,000 more people would live in the rest of the Eastern half of the loop, and roughly 100,000 more people would live in the Western half of the loop. Places like Greenway/Upper Kirby would be at 30,000 ppsm. Denver Harbor/Northside Village/Fifth Ward/ Kashmere Gardens would be completely revolutionized, as well as the Second Ward. Astrodome area would add 100,000 people there along with the TMC.

most of the inner loop wouldn't actually change, my goal would be that Denver Harbor, Kashmere Gardens and Greater Fifth Ward would double in density, and rather than be gentrified and just be a bunch of skinny houses they would just acquire a lot of condos/apartments and old buildings got torn down and rebuilt to keep the historic look of the area in some way. I'm hoping these areas can become like a Spring Branch, they'll have the base black or hispanic population but will have a good minority of whites and Asian residents, and will be the more affordable part of the inner loop. The Third Ward, would increase in population so much that nearly all the previous residents could stay in subsidized apartments and would still be an absolute minority their. I'm hoping with the emergence of TSU and U of H and a hopefully increasing black population of Rice, this could be one of the few inner city, urban middle class black neighborhoods, something America really hasn't had since the Harlem Renaissance. I'm sure though with the critical mass of college students it will likely also have a College student vibe to it. The Eastern neighborhoods especially the further out ones would maintain a lot of the characteristics they have now, hopefully just be much, much safer. The Astrodome I would want completely rebuilt. rather than these suburban-esque Apartments, more development like Midtown/Downtown Condos/Apartments midrises would go up and the area would be extremely walkable hence, I think it would increase by 100,000 people, and would be exceptionally dense the closer you got to the TMC.

So what about the remaining 1 million people added to the city of Houston.
I would have Westchase, Greenspoint, Westwood, Sharpstown (The Apartment Complexes there not the nieghborhood), Greenspoint, Energy Corridor, Gulfton, Fondren Southwest (apartment complexes not neighborhood), completely redeveloped into urban neighborhoods, hopefully with a change in apartment styles, rather than the gated apartments that are terrible for walking and have lots of dark corners and most folks in vehicles, these areas would increase in density and would have much more people walking going to and fro, and as a result crime decreases as their are more eyes everywhere and only residents and their guests could actually enter these large apartment buildings with retail on the bottom floor. Because of bottom floor retail, or a ground floor community center, their would be cameras everywhere and the setup in every way would just make committing crime much much harder. Sort of similar to London. While still serving the lower income community that lives in these neighborhoods.

One of the worst practices that happens in America is that no one builds buildings for the poor. Nearly all poor parts of the city is organic, this area fails and as a result poverty encompasses the whole area. Rather these poor areas should be built to help the poor, better transportation, better infrastructure, and an design that helps eliminate the inherit problems that come with poor folks living in an area in America and anywhere in the world were more desperate people live. Rather than completely ignoring that poor areas will develop and will have more crime and building buildings that enable home invasions, have zero cameras anywhere. We have to recognize a certain subsect of society preys on the hardworking folks in these areas and make it hard for them to thrive.

Neighborhoods that are emptying out do to flooding would be replaced with "flood-proof" apartments, i.e these neighborhoods would have better drainage, let's say an area underneath the building like a parking garage, but purposefully built to hold excess water and flow towards the Buffalo Bayou/Ship Channel. Also no Ground Floor apartments in all of these buildings, the ground floor is partially built of material that's resistant to water damage, and is like a lobby, or a community center etcetera in these flood-prone areas, so even if the drainage fails, the half a foot of water in the building doesn't ruin an entire families livelihood.

Most of the rest of Houston would remain unchanged. The SW would be a lot more crowded, but so will the rest of the city, the neighborhoods that were swamped with crime heavy apartments effectively killing them, would now have much safer apartments in the neighborhood, allowing many of these areas to revive, and the bus routes and light rail routes would spread out throughout the city.

I'm actually hoping that many neighborhoods currently considered "only Hispanic", "only black", only white", "only Asian" retain their cultural heritage to some extent but diversify so these neighborhoods are 50-60% one race rather than the 80-100% many of them are today.

I would love to see Mahatma Ghandi district and Chinatown develop into higher density well connected neighborhoods that are bursting with culture, nd Gulfton, or Near Northside becomes very similar for various Latin American nations.

While this isn't Houston, hopefully during this same time period Galveston has a turn around and grows to become a city of 120,000 people and an urban vacation destination.

I think the changes in apartment styles in these neighborhoods mentioned and the aging of America will reduce crime across the city to roughly half of what it currently is. It won't quite be European standards, and might be a bit more dangerous than modern Austin. But it will be miles ahead of Houston in the 2000s.

A lot of parking lots, would become "urban" apartment complexes because this would be combined with increased light rail, and increased use of bus services. Ridesharing, and working from home would make these large swaths of parking lots especially the Astrodome which isn't even a working stadium anymore obsolete, which would allow massive increases in nearly all of the edge city/ commercial districts.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 10-05-2020 at 03:41 PM..

Old 10-09-2020, 11:52 PM

24 posts, read 14,568 times
. . to see somebody run against Sheila Jackson Lee and win. She is an embarrassment to Houston and a laughingstock around the U.S. yet she has the support of enough really dumb voters who have no clue.

https://www.azquotes.com/author/8662-Sheila_Jackson_Lee

Old 10-11-2020, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Eater View Post
. . to see somebody run against Sheila Jackson Lee and win. She is an embarrassment to Houston and a laughingstock around the U.S. yet she has the support of enough really dumb voters who have no clue.

https://www.azquotes.com/author/8662-Sheila_Jackson_Lee
You could replace Sheila Jackson Lee with Donald Trump and this would fit just as well.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:48 PM

218 posts, read 197,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Improved mass transit that takes you all over the city.
This is my wish for Houston. I wish that on the 80's the leaders of our city wouldn't have been so shortsighted.

Old 10-12-2020, 12:21 PM

17,338 posts, read 23,507,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You could replace Sheila Jackson Lee with Donald Trump and this would fit just as well.
Don't tell him that,
They only see stupidity when is on the other side of the aisle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston