Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 AM

17 posts, read 54,414 times

Advertisements

Hi - we are considering possible relocation to Katy from Charlotte. We are not unhappy where we are- just a job opportunity. We were in Houston last summer visiting friends in Sienna Plantation however the job is near Katy and that would be where it would make sense to live. We liked what we saw in Sienna Plantation - they were in Village of Bees Creek and the lots were a really nice size. When I search Cinco Ranch and others neighborhoods in Katy, it seems to only have smaller lots. This is not really a problem for me, but my husband grew up in a rural area and it is very important to him to have some space. I need people and neighbors (for me and the kids) so I am wondering where we should look that we could get around 1 acre but still be part of an active neighborhood community - we have 4 boys and it looks like Katy schools would be the way to go. What about Fulshear? How are those schools? Would we feel isolated there? How far is Fulshear to Katy? I could go on with my questions, but answers to these questions would be so helpful! Thanks so much in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply. Just so you know, I have been reading so many other posts and answers - your answers help many more than just the person who originally asked the question. The fact that so many take their time to provide helpful answers will inspire me to get onto the Charlotte boards and answer questions for those who are looking to come here. THANK YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 AM

Forgot to mention - our price range would be 600-800K.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:11 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,387,204 times
I think Weston Lakes would be your best bet for the property size. You could get an extremely nice house for that amount, or even much less. I don't know much about Lamar ISD, but like lots of things, I'm sure its growing and improving. You might be willing to commute the kids to private if you get a great deal on a house.
An associate of mine lives in Weston and loves it. However he and his wife are almost 70, so that really slow pace appeals to them.

I know some places in Katy like Grayson Lakes,Lake Pointe, Lakeforest have bigger lots, but I also think foreclosure is a big issue in those areas. If you can catch something in Windsor Park Estates, I think coming from NC you would be very happy with it and its solidly in KISD. Here's two listings there.

19018 Oak View Terrace, Houston, TX 77094
1618 Cambridge Oaks Cir, Houston, TX 77094
Unfortunately it is hard to find homes in the xburbs, in true a community, with an acre of land. I don't know if its because most people don't want to be bothered by that much work or the more likely factor of developer greed.

City of Houston has areas with an acre, but that's over a million.

Ps- What is your definition of isolated? If I have to drive more than 1 mile to a grocery, and more than three blocks to minor needs locations, I consider that isolated. So to me Weston Lakes is very remote, but to you it might be just right. You really need to take a week and drive the areas.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 04-20-2008 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-21-2008, 09:03 PM

Thanks easily amused. That is really helpful info and the listings you posted look fabulous! I'm with you - I don't want to have to go too far for anything ... and I want neighbors! Thanks again for the info.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,764 times
Hello! We moved to Fulshear from Houston a couple of years ago for peace and quiet. It has been wonderful for us. We go to church in Houston, it's only 30 min. from Downtown Fulshear to the Galleria area in Houston. We're about 20 min to the nearest big mall (Katy Mills off of I-10). Lots of cyclists come to our area for the hills and fresh air. Actually we have a closer relationship with neighbors here and get together more often with them than when we were smushed up against each other in Houston. There are nice people and plenty of activity in the area.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:49 PM

57 posts, read 404,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlottetohouston? View Post
Forgot to mention - our price range would be 600-800K.

You can get a really nice custom home for that price range in Katy. I would recommend Avalon at Seven Meadows. Its gated lake and golf course section. I wish I had bought there when it was first starting out as they are almost sold out completely and the prices have gone up significantly since then reflecting the demand and market of the area. Its zoned to great Katy ISD schools which is a major factor for anyone. Check out the listings:

www.har.com

type in "Avalon at Seven Meadows" in the subdivision search. good luck!

Old 08-07-2008, 05:15 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,783,996 times
I second Weston Lakes. Just realized this thread is old... so what did you decide?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston