U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:46 PM

11 posts, read 27,552 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I'm new to this site but the posts I've read have been very informative. My husband was just offered a promotion in Houston through his company. Presently, we live on the southwest side of Denver. My husband is a Denver native, and I grew up and spent 24 years in Boston. Go Sox!
We are both excited about the opportunity -- life is a journey! But we are also overwhelmed when we check out real estate online. We need advice! Here's what we'd like to find (and maybe we're dreaming ): a single family home around $225K - $250K that has lots of amenities, and trees surrounding. Trees are something I've really missed living in Denver these past five years. We're in our early 30's and don't have any children, though we'd like to have one soon. That being said, we don't need one of these mini-mansions I see on the realtor sites -- 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms would suit us perfectly! Though we don't care for cookie-cutter suburban neighborhoods, we do, again, like trees and we love to garden. We'd like to be close to civilization and not live in a neighborhood where you could easily walk up to the door of another house because it's identical to your own house!
Being a Bostonian who went to grad school in the UK, one of the things I've really disliked about SW Denver is the lack of diversity. We would love to live in a diverse community. I am fond of old houses, but I'm not sure that many exist in Houston, as I've never been there. A friend tells me that we need to make certain that if we buy a house it's not located in a flood area, as Houston is prone to flooding. Also, we are very liberal people, and though we realize that Houston, overall, is a conservative town, we'd rather not live in a bible-thumping community.
My husband's company is located in North Houston, close to the airport. We don't need to live down the street from his work, but at the same time he'd prefer not to have a nightmare commute. We'd also like for the property to be a good investment that, if we are relocated again in three years, we can easily sell and perhaps make a little money. When you plug in $250K on HAR.com, you see gigantic brick mansions listed beside tiny 1 bathroom shacks -- what's up with that? Any advice on good neighborhoods we should look at will be most appreciated, as we are thoroughly confused and completely clueless about Houston. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 01:25 PM

872 posts, read 2,115,253 times
Go to har.com and enter some of these MLS numbers:
5384154, 2465364, 234859
These are all about 15-16 miles from IAH. Big lots, nice newer homes. Lots of trees.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:47 PM

231 posts, read 614,860 times
I think you will be very happy with what you will be able to find. You will have plenty of opportunities for either new construction where you can pick the amenities, or existing construction in existing neighborhoods with lots of mature trees. Your price range is very reasonable for a good size but not huge 3 or 4 bedroom house.

I'd look in areas like spring, cypress, The Woodlands, and Kingwood. There is alot off of I-45 or US-59 just north of the airport. But I'd stay to the north. South of the airport (the north houston area between 610 and BW8) isn't the best area in general, though I'm sure there are a few nicer "islands".

Use HAR.com to find a prospective realtor, or even identify potential houses. That will really help you narrow down your search. With your budget you can prefer to be a little more selective, there will be plenty to choose from.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:51 PM

1,186 posts, read 4,409,818 times
What Baggiegenes said. You'll find plenty of nice options in those areas.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:57 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,489,682 times
If you want trees and something a bit closer to town and work you may also want to include Willowbend, Willow Meadows, Meyerland, Westbury, Garden Oaks and Afton Oaks in your search (and there is one more "Oaks" around the NW corner of 610 that I can't quite remember). At any rate, you should be able to find well built older homes that will fall within your price range.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:11 PM

1,290 posts, read 3,490,206 times
Champion Forest, Spring Creek Oaks/Forest, Memorial Northwest, Gleanloch, Windrose, etc.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 PM

11 posts, read 27,552 times
Default Thanks for input!

Thanks to all of you for your input.

After reading your posts as well as other posts on this website, it seems as though it might be a wiser investment to live closer to the city rather than out in the sprawling burbs like the Woodlands. Some of you have mentioned places like Garden Oaks, Willowbend, Westbrook, Idlewood, Lyndale Park, and they sound like good places to invest. But when I try to locate these on Har.com, I don't see them listed as options in the menu. Does anyone know a good real estate search engine where I might search for houses in these areas?

Another entirely unrelated question: is organic grocery shopping widely available in the Houston area? Living in Denver, we're kind of spoiled by having lots of Whole Foods, Sunflower Markets, Tony's meats, etc.

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:53 AM

10,530 posts, read 6,480,076 times
Re organic grocery shopping, though I left Houston a while ago, good luck.

Wholefoods was our place of choice but organic was not big anywhere.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:29 AM

796 posts, read 2,516,770 times
There is Whole foods in Houston and you can find specialty shops scattered. I get alot of organics at HEB grocery store.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:52 AM

10,530 posts, read 6,480,076 times
Good- seems like things have got better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston