U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,495 times

Advertisements

Check the website har.com which is the Houston Association of Realtors website. It has search functions that can sort results based on price, number of bedrooms, etc.

Last edited by da jammer; 04-26-2008 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 07:22 PM

62 posts, read 142,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
I was just reading a thread on AC cost in Houston area...very high per month, did you read that thread? Anyway, do without a doub, check the Monthly AC bills on any property you should consider. Double pane windows and good insulation are key to lower costs, also newer ac unit helps a lot. I wish you all the best of luck, I know you can do it. If I lived there I would be your friend :~)
Thanks Pink flamingo. I did read that. It is a consideration. I've asked some of the realtors that have listed the homes I've inquired about, about the cost of utilities. Of course they won't tell you much, they want to sell the house, but I've been on top of it because I've always seemed to have had a problem with utility bills. In fact, in NY State my average was $400. Of course that's not uncommon for some areas in NY State but my neighbors were much less, same size houses. It was a mystery. I had the meters checked, house revamped for efficiency with no good results. Then in NC, I had to switch to emergency in January because the other broke down. It was only for a week but my bill was $500 for the month. Insane....... So anything less will please me, however, I would most certainly go for the efficiency because it is definitely worth it.

Thanks for your well wishes and encouragement. I wish you lived in Houston too, I could use a friend........

Old 04-26-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Thomas View Post
Check the website har.com which is the Houston Association of Realtors website. It has search functions that can sort results based on price, number of bedrooms, etc.
Yeah, it's what I've been using. It's great, but I didn't put in too much in the "area" sorting because I HAVE NO clue..... So it kept coming up with a lot of listings in these "forest" named developments. Mostly Inwood Forest and there are very nice listings at very good prices. So I decided that this can't be that great. Ya know, like they say if something appears too good to be true, it usually is..... Well, I did search the forums and found some info on Inwood Forest and it seems that the golf course is no longer open and this is bad for certain things yada yada yada..... Shame because the listings are really appealing.

Anyway, now I'm delayed in my trip to Houston because I don't have a solid realtor. I had one, but she was all into logistics and too formal ugh. I have to work with someone that is down to earth and willing to help.... So I called on one of the listings I found and talked to another realtor and was impressed (on the phone) lo and behold I haven't heard from him since we talked. He was supposed to gather the mls numbers I sent him email and organize, send me broker listings and wait for my arrival...... Not reliable.... So now I need a realtor. I can't just truck on over to Houston and pick from a hat..... Not sure what my next move is. Gotta get going here, I have time limits and decisions to make. I'm not holding strong at this point.... But will have to. Gotta do this......

Old 04-28-2008, 03:51 PM

My realtor is steering me away from those developments in the Northwest and I can't argue until I get there and see for myself. They're telling me that those such as Ponderosa Forest, Westador, Inverness, Inwood Forest are not the places I want to be... Any opinions? More suggestions? I'm getting exhausted. Tried to leave to come to Houston yesterday and got a flat tire..... Hmmmmmmm......

Old 04-28-2008, 04:27 PM

8,951 posts, read 15,435,564 times
Spring Valley or Spring Shadows or Binglewood might be a good place. Run that buy them. Anything within the Beltway in your price range is going to be a transitional neighborhood or near one. It's just the truth of the thing. But that being said, appreciation is a possibility in those areas.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 5,742,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deesturn View Post
My realtor is steering me away from those developments in the Northwest and I can't argue until I get there and see for myself. They're telling me that those such as Ponderosa Forest, Westador, Inverness, Inwood Forest are not the places I want to be... Any opinions? More suggestions? I'm getting exhausted. Tried to leave to come to Houston yesterday and got a flat tire..... Hmmmmmmm......
Ha! I looked at Inwood too when i was house shopping from NYC. The houses there looked ideal for flipping which what i wanted to do since I know I'm going to be bored in houston and kinda wanted to have access to cypress. anyway, eventually I encountered the 'just stay to the left side of the railroad' advice so I stopped bothering with Inwood. The murder maps don't have much north of Inwood tho. I wonder whats up with that area

Old 04-28-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Ha! I looked at Inwood too when i was house shopping from NYC. The houses there looked ideal for flipping which what i wanted to do since I know I'm going to be bored in houston and kinda wanted to have access to cypress. anyway, eventually I encountered the 'just stay to the left side of the railroad' advice so I stopped bothering with Inwood. The murder maps don't have much north of Inwood tho. I wonder whats up with that area
Relocated from NYC? I grew up there. Was there until 1979. Away for 8 years than moved back until 1990 but stayed in NY State in Rockland, than Orange county northwest of NYC. Moved out just 18 months ago. I grew up on the lower east side of Manhattan, lived in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn then Chelsea in Manhattan. It's funny cause I never noticed all the crime. I mean you couldn't really miss it well with all the sirens and front page stories, etc. but it never really bothered me. I should seriously go with my own gut and not pay so much attention to what the realtors say. I've been told that Northwest Houston is one of the fastest growing areas in Houston. Who knows what it holds. There was a place in Manhattan called alphabet city. It was where everyone went for their drugs and where you could find gang murders, robberies, theft, etc. 24/7. They got on it's case and completely revamped it. I hear it is one of the safest parts of Manhattan now. That can happen anywhere! Right? Am I that naive? I hate being swayed but I know some people do look out for you. If not for you, for their own piece of mind. I mean if something were to happen, they MIGHT have to deal with guilt, etc. Seriously, you do get caring realtors, they're not that rare and when you see that, you tend to "listen", but I hate to compromise what I want cause I know it's out there..... Katy where my realtor is steering me? hmmmmm...... So dang cookie cutter I'm sure. I want homey and trees and a yard I can walk out into in my pj's without the whole neighborhood seeing me....... and a house that not exactly like my neighbors...... I'm so frustrated. I get so excited but when you don't know an area it can be so deceiving online. And I'm no so naive that I don't already know that, but it still gets me hopeful..... Well I'm headed to Houston early this evening so I guess I'll be seeing it all for myself soon enough.....

Old 04-28-2008, 06:04 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,573,227 times
Quote:
I used to live in Ponderosa Forest. It is a beautiful neighborhood, the problem out there is Spring Schools are not as popular as Klein, so the areas in Spring (Oak Creek, Olde Oaks, Ponderosa & Westador) are considered less desirable. They are also going to be constructing an underpass at Kuykendahl and 1960, so that will clog up that area with construction. Retail seems to be declining in that area also.

Further west, the areas zoned to Klein Forest High vs. Klein High, like Greenwood Forest, are less popular but still well maintained beautiful areas.

If you are home schooling, you may prefer to pick up a bargain in an area that looks as nice as the others, but doesn't offer as popular a school set up. Of course you have to remember when it comes time to sell, bargain in, bargain out.

I did see a couple in your price range in Huntwick, which has always been one of the nicest subdivisions out there. It is in Cy-Fair. If you can get into Champions proper, or Huntwick, then for sure those are nice areas.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:30 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,573,227 times
Quote:
Does anyone know where exactly Westador 5 is? I'm getting in when I put in a search on HAR for Spring, TX but my realtor said it's not great.....
Westador is well maintained and has beautiful homes. It is a cheap date though b/c it is right next to Cypress Station, which is a huge apartment area, along with all of the apartments on Red Oak Rd, which runs down the middle of Westador. The back portion of Westador used to flood, at one time they built some sort of levee or something which supposedly helped, but I think the ones further back still have some level of flooding potential.

If you look at the retail around Red Oak and 1960, and you look at the retail around say, Champion Forest and 1960, it will become obvious which is the better stretch.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
I used to live in Ponderosa Forest. It is a beautiful neighborhood, the problem out there is Spring Schools are not as popular as Klein, so the areas in Spring (Oak Creek, Olde Oaks, Ponderosa & Westador) are considered less desirable. They are also going to be constructing an underpass at Kuykendahl and 1960, so that will clog up that area with construction. Retail seems to be declining in that area also.

Further west, the areas zoned to Klein Forest High vs. Klein High, like Greenwood Forest, are less popular but still well maintained beautiful areas.

If you are home schooling, you may prefer to pick up a bargain in an area that looks as nice as the others, but doesn't offer as popular a school set up. Of course you have to remember when it comes time to sell, bargain in, bargain out.

I did see a couple in your price range in Huntwick, which has always been one of the nicest subdivisions out there. It is in Cy-Fair. If you can get into Champions proper, or Huntwick, then for sure those are nice areas.
This is kind of what I wanted to hear. I guess we all ask questions with the hope that we will hear what we want. Still, I am not concerned with schools as most are. As far as resale, well I really do want to settle for a while and down the road, you just never know...... Thanks..... I haven't seen Huntwick or Champions proper, but will I'm sure and won't forget......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston