U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:25 PM

62 posts, read 184,096 times

Advertisements

I know that if you look at my posts, most will think that I'm a total flake. To be honest, it's been a tough 18 months. Won't do the "poor me" thing. Just need help with areas in Houston. I have had to make yet another decision and this one HAS to be the final one. Actually, when my dilemma began, Houston came to mind (actually Katy) but I never pursued it. Instead I went with "where I had people I knew", "far from where I began", etc. etc. Needless to say, there was no help, no understanding and found out I have no friends......

I am down to my last choice and believe that the Houston area is really all that I could afford at this point that would be a decent (actually really nice) area to live in. There are other affordable place, i.e. Montana, Wyoming, in some remote COLD place. I definitely don't want a colder climate. I can't be picky because I'm close to being a beggar (LOL). All I want now is to give my kids a home, to settle down and live a decent life. I've met a lot of Texans in my travels and found "all" to be the friendliness, kindest people I've ever met. NO I'm not just saying that. I truly mean it. I've also been told that you can't beat the cost of living in Texas. I chose Houston because of location and the many surrounding appealing areas. (Dallas was considered, but seemed more 'northern' if that makes any sense) Although Houston's a huge city, I don't have to commute, there's traffic EVERYWHERE, so not a factor, schools are only a factor concerning home value since my kids have been home-schooled and I work from home. Although, resale is not an issue because I would truly like to make this my permanent home...... Safety is always a factor, but I don't concern myself with crime statistics unless it's similar to a third world country (i won't be rude and mention what I've seen). I grew up in the lower east side of Manhattan in NYC. Of course it wasn't as bad as some would think (I'm not young), at least not when I grew up there.

Anyway bottom line -- I've looked at Katy and it seems a little not my thing. A little too cookie cutter, not much character. Similar to Rio Rancho in New Mexico. I like older homes, even if they need work (with the exception of structural damage). Seems they don't build like they used to anymore and the newer homes seem to be thrown together. I've lived in both and really prefer the quality of older homes. Upgraded would help, but like I said I can't be that picky. I don't have the luxury of "driving all the areas" to see what I like, so I'm relying on opinions from those that "know". Have no choice....... I'm coming this week and have to narrow it down some. I only have 10 days to buy a home. I'M NOT KIDDING!! I'm determined and I know I can do this!!

I've seen Inwood Forest, ehh, OK, but not if it's too restricted. But they have some better pieces of property. A lot of the Northwest seems practical and affordable and from this forum I've seen that it might be because of the school district which doesn't help "home value". Don't care if it's really nice. Also looked north houston, a little above my budget in some areas. So where else might I look? Katy is NOT out because I know there are some areas (or I think there are) a little more private but are they horrible?

HELP!! I need specifics as far as safe, affordable, appealing, peaceful..... Boys are 15 and 16

I am looking only up to $140k. That sound ridiculous, but I've seen lots in that range. I'm single, older and have NO help. I am determined to do this and triumph.

Anyone that might have insight, info I could really use some advice. If I've left anything out that would help I'm a chatter box so I can certainly add to this......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 02:52 PM

657 posts, read 2,242,602 times
I live in an area of west Houston called Ashford. 140 would probably get you in the low end there. Your kids would go to HISD Westside High School, which isn't bad. You can get a home in the Alief area for that price, but the school district is kind of bad. You can probably find a decent place in Katy for that price, north of I-10, but it might be hit and miss in terms of quality. You're not going to get a great place for 140, but maybe a diamond in the rough.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:16 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 7,336,506 times
Ashfords area was the first thing that I thought of too. I met some NYC type 'punk' (more like happy go lucky) teens at a local video arcade, skaterpunks that are actually nice to encounter for a change, people walking for grocery, dining etc. major chainstores, small/med/large stripmalls, housing/nice apts/police station are all very close together. well, i think that gives the area some real urban character. none of that mastaplan BS. moving from NYC with some of my vices and mastaplan won't work together really. The Ashfords area was the very first area I checked out because har.com was showing really affordable older homes there back then. then we accidentally found a new neighborhood in Alief on the way to finding lunch.

Premont, isn't there atleast one good ranking Alief HS? Kerr maybe? I know thats where the hot asian chicks are - thats probably good info if you have 2 teenage boys

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 04-24-2008 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 PM

796 posts, read 3,295,031 times
Consider the Klein area of Spring, you could get a nice home in an excellent school district for your price range. Most neighborhoods have community pools and there is alot for kids to do. There is a local police dept, churches, parks and all kinds of shopping. Great area. I live here myself.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
I live in an area of west Houston called Ashford. 140 would probably get you in the low end there. Your kids would go to HISD Westside High School, which isn't bad. You can get a home in the Alief area for that price, but the school district is kind of bad. You can probably find a decent place in Katy for that price, north of I-10, but it might be hit and miss in terms of quality. You're not going to get a great place for 140, but maybe a diamond in the rough.

I don't have to worry about schools because they've been home schooled for years. Oldest is ready to go into college, the younger has done most of his academic and is ready for computer science. Just need GED's (not neccesarily) and onto college.....

I was thinking "west houston", but didn't know areas. Thanks this is really helpful!!! I will surely be checking out "Katy", cause long ago it was a definite possibility and I never pursued it. It's one of those things when you don't go with what your heart tells you....

Old 04-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
Consider the Klein area of Spring, you could get a nice home in an excellent school district for your price range. Most neighborhoods have community pools and there is alot for kids to do. There is a local police dept, churches, parks and all kinds of shopping. Great area. I live here myself.
I WILL>>> I hadn't heard that at all before. Schools don't matter for my kids, but I know they matter for other reasons........I will most certainly look into this.......

Old 04-24-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Ashfords area was the first thing that I thought of too. I met some NYC type 'punk' (more like happy go lucky) teens at a local video arcade, skaterpunks that are actually nice to encounter for a change, people walking for grocery, dining etc. major chainstores, small/med/large stripmalls, housing/nice apts/police station are all very close together. well, i think that gives the area some real urban character. none of that mastaplan BS. moving from NYC with some of my vices and mastaplan won't work together really. The Ashfords area was the very first area I checked out because har.com was showing really affordable older homes there back then. then we accidentally found a new neighborhood in Alief on the way to finding lunch.

Premont, isn't there atleast one good ranking Alief HS? Kerr maybe? I know thats where the hot asian chicks are - thats probably good info if you have 2 teenage boys
Sounds cool..... I can understand exactly what you're saying about the skaterpunk encounter.... I've lived so many places including in the midtown area of manhattan, NYC where we walked for everything and it was pretty cool without kids. Now that mine are teens, I think it sounds great for them to see. They've been pretty spoiled living in suburbs and high end beach areas. Maybe it's about time they experienced something different....

Yeah, my boys would love the "hot asian chicks".......

Thanks!

Old 04-24-2008, 04:57 PM

657 posts, read 2,242,602 times
Kerr is for smart kids I think. If you go to the Great Schools website, even Elsik and Hastings get good reviews from some parents. It's all subjective.

If school isn't a consideration, you might consider the Spring Branch area where Gessner is north of I-10, near Spring Woods High. There's a lot of nice older homes up there where you might get a bargain.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:08 PM

3,467 posts, read 6,818,053 times
Judging from your situation, you'll be a fool not to rent first period.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:55 PM

4 posts, read 10,143 times
Lake Conroe!!! We bought a new house for $126K, 3bd-2bath, 1400 sq ft. LOVE IT!!! We live in Walden and there is a mix of older retired folks, young families as well as families with teenagers. You have older houses and brand new one's. Its very layed back here and the lake is amazing. It use to be pretty rural but Montgomery is growing. I love it cause its not so congested. Yeah for maybe 30 minutes there could be a "traffic jam" but it thins out rather quickly.
Good luck and let us know what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or