U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,275 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone! Looking for advice.

My wife and 5yo daughter and I were all set to move from Plano to Colleyville, as my wife was working in Arlington and traveling out of DFW a lot. I work remote for a large IT company.

However, her company has restructured and is moving all the management to The Woodlands, so we have pulled out of our contract for the Colleyville house and are looking for something near her new office. She'll be commuting to her office most days but will (eventually) be travelling at least one week a month, flying out of IAH. We had picked our Colleyville house to cut her office commute in half and reduce DFW travel time to almost zero, while staying sort of halfway close to her parents in central Plano.

We'd like to find something that keeps those same criteria in mind. The best we're going to do with regard to family is staying north of the Sam Houston. It also seems like prioritizing the office commute over the airport one makes more sense now, but both remain important.

Our daughter is a rising first grader, so schools are important. I'm an amateur woodworker with a bundle of tools, and I've been ordered to keep both them and my car garaged, so availability of houses with 3-car garages is oddly important; I like the detached ones myself, and it seems "detached garage is to metro Houston as alley garage is to DFW." Wife prefers a pool, and I'd rather that someone else already took the financial hit to have built it. Probably looking at a budget of $500k or lower, and not looking to do a remodel.

So that's our deal. Housing stock looks adequate, and prices seem generally lower than where we were looking in DFW. I am wondering about a few things though:

1. Everybody says traffic is so terrible around The Woodlands, so which areas can moderate that a bit? The office is just west of 45. Does that make the Rayford Road/Benders Landing area less desirable? On the internet at least, it checks a lot of boxes for us.

2. What's a good resource to check on previous flooding? I've seen a few links, but they are a bit inscrutable and I'm not sure how trustworthy the data are.

3. Level with me. Which school districts are worth the premium to live in them? Probably looking at Conroe ISD, Klein ISD, or maaaybe Tomball. Greatschools seems to hate Klein's high schools, but from what I can tell test scores themselves are generally pretty good across all three of those districts, certainly comparable with Colleyville's and probably with Plano's as well. Our current house is in Lewisville ISD, with the zone gerrymandered for their handful of Plano houses to get us into an elementary that's good but is a 15 minute drive. My little one is already showing herself to be a free spirit with an interesting learning style, but she's reading very well and is outgoing so I'm not worried about obsessing over the single best campus, I just want her to have access to the type of resources we can afford for her.

4. Related to #3, how stable are high school zones within the ISDs? I know Elementary schools sort of necessarily have to be in flux with the demographics of neighborhoods, but it would be nice to know that we're not in for a surprise as she gets towards high school.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 11:29 AM

1,575 posts, read 2,908,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjrii View Post
Hi there everyone! Looking for advice.

My wife and 5yo daughter and I were all set to move from Plano to Colleyville, as my wife was working in Arlington and traveling out of DFW a lot. I work remote for a large IT company.

However, her company has restructured and is moving all the management to The Woodlands, so we have pulled out of our contract for the Colleyville house and are looking for something near her new office. She'll be commuting to her office most days but will (eventually) be travelling at least one week a month, flying out of IAH. We had picked our Colleyville house to cut her office commute in half and reduce DFW travel time to almost zero, while staying sort of halfway close to her parents in central Plano.

We'd like to find something that keeps those same criteria in mind. The best we're going to do with regard to family is staying north of the Sam Houston. It also seems like prioritizing the office commute over the airport one makes more sense now, but both remain important.

Our daughter is a rising first grader, so schools are important. I'm an amateur woodworker with a bundle of tools, and I've been ordered to keep both them and my car garaged, so availability of houses with 3-car garages is oddly important; I like the detached ones myself, and it seems "detached garage is to metro Houston as alley garage is to DFW." Wife prefers a pool, and I'd rather that someone else already took the financial hit to have built it. Probably looking at a budget of $500k or lower, and not looking to do a remodel.

So that's our deal. Housing stock looks adequate, and prices seem generally lower than where we were looking in DFW. I am wondering about a few things though:

1. Everybody says traffic is so terrible around The Woodlands, so which areas can moderate that a bit? The office is just west of 45. Does that make the Rayford Road/Benders Landing area less desirable? On the internet at least, it checks a lot of boxes for us.

2. What's a good resource to check on previous flooding? I've seen a few links, but they are a bit inscrutable and I'm not sure how trustworthy the data are.

3. Level with me. Which school districts are worth the premium to live in them? Probably looking at Conroe ISD, Klein ISD, or maaaybe Tomball. Greatschools seems to hate Klein's high schools, but from what I can tell test scores themselves are generally pretty good across all three of those districts, certainly comparable with Colleyville's and probably with Plano's as well. Our current house is in Lewisville ISD, with the zone gerrymandered for their handful of Plano houses to get us into an elementary that's good but is a 15 minute drive. My little one is already showing herself to be a free spirit with an interesting learning style, but she's reading very well and is outgoing so I'm not worried about obsessing over the single best campus, I just want her to have access to the type of resources we can afford for her.

4. Related to #3, how stable are high school zones within the ISDs? I know Elementary schools sort of necessarily have to be in flux with the demographics of neighborhoods, but it would be nice to know that we're not in for a surprise as she gets towards high school.
I wouldn’t rule out anything in the Bender area (we lived in Spring Trails previously and recently built in Benders). They have spent the last 2 years widening Rayford and it’s almost complete. Alternatively, you have instant access to 99 which will take you to 45 if you find Rayford doesn’t cooperate. Brand new high school right in the neighborhood with great zoning (Grand Oaks) and great feeder schools. Benders itself has a lower tax rate since they don’t have MUD, but you could also look at Spring Trails, Harmony, or Woodson’s Reserve. You’ll have plenty of options between those communities. Lots of development going on in the area as well.

We love the area and it’s worth checking out. The Woodlands itself is nice, but traffic can be a problem in areas (I can get to some places in the woodlands faster than some residents can, depending on where they are), and you’ll likely be getting a much older home than you would in 77386.

For flooding, you’ll want to check with the neighbors as it was very localized. In Benders there were about a dozen homes that flooded, but they all backed up to the creek. Spring Trails was similar but 99% of the houses didn’t even come close, don’t think anything flooded in Harmony that I’m aware of.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:12 PM

800 posts, read 1,292,675 times
Generally speaking, most of the Woodlands fared OK flooding-wise during Harvey. A few places took on some water, but as I recall most of those were isolated spots in older neighborhoods south of The Woodlands Parkway closer to I-45...definitely not widespread house flooding like was seen in other areas around Houston. I have family who lives near the "back" of the Woodlands (Alden Bridge area), and I don't think they even had water over the curb in their neighborhood, even at the height of the storm.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:25 PM

15,721 posts, read 21,277,020 times
In my opinion ...... The South side of the Woodlands is getting very popular because of its proximity to Grand Parkway
Just be careful with the areas that flooded (check flood plain maps)

Old 05-07-2020, 02:52 PM

3,808 posts, read 1,746,171 times
If we are talking about flooding, we need to not only talk about what did happen, but we also need to talk about the future.

The Northern Houston flooding was addressed with a drainage detention deal that was approved a few days ago.

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/k...d-15237454.php

This comes after a Harris County drainage deal that was approved last year, and one other project that Rice University and the Texas Government are working on. Of course, these projects don't get completed overnight. But the fact that these projects are being worked on will help things out for the future.

Old 05-07-2020, 02:55 PM

3,808 posts, read 1,746,171 times
Does your company happen to be Howard Hughes? I know they were moving their headquarters from Dallas to the Woodlands this year.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 1,275 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. They'll really help us zero in on what we will do. There's value to us in getting settled quickly, and fundamentally DFW and Houston aren't THAT different, so I think we're going to try to find a place to purchase by the end of June. We're really looking forward to a new chapter, and at least we can still grab Whataburger once in a while.

Old 05-15-2020, 12:41 AM

5,684 posts, read 9,789,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If we are talking about flooding, we need to not only talk about what did happen, but we also need to talk about the future.

The Northern Houston flooding was addressed with a drainage detention deal that was approved a few days ago.

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/k...d-15237454.php

This comes after a Harris County drainage deal that was approved last year, and one other project that Rice University and the Texas Government are working on. Of course, these projects don't get completed overnight. But the fact that these projects are being worked on will help things out for the future.
I've noticed that North Harris bayous have not been widened (and street lighting has been neglected by Precinct 4). The Westside's bayou system is already developed since it got priority due to the bulk of the population in the metro area.

Right now, I wouldn't go outside The Woodlands proper (Montgomery County side) right now if I moved to the north side of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjrii View Post
However, her company has restructured and is moving all the management to The Woodlands, so we have pulled out of our contract for the Colleyville house and are looking for something near her new office.
DW works for Howard Hughes?

Quote:
It also seems like prioritizing the office commute over the airport one makes more sense now, but both remain important.
Good news is that since the Energy Industry mostly does cross-town business trips with everything concentrated here, IAH caters to leisure travelers. If she have access to AA's lounge, it was renovated a few years ago (not a large one since it's not one of their hubs).

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...ge-at-iah.html

Old 05-15-2020, 08:23 AM

4,267 posts, read 1,670,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Good news is that since the Energy Industry mostly does cross-town business trips with everything concentrated here, IAH caters to leisure travelers. If she have access to AA's lounge, it was renovated a few years ago (not a large one since it's not one of their hubs).

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/...ge-at-iah.html
Did you seriously say IAH caters to leisure travelers??? You are so wrong.

Old 05-15-2020, 10:15 AM

3,274 posts, read 2,610,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Did you seriously say IAH caters to leisure travelers??? You are so wrong.
Seriously! Houston's airports and hotels live and die off business travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston