U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 02:50 PM

3,264 posts, read 2,607,573 times

Advertisements

My second home is outside of Brenham, and the towns in between Houston and Austin are generally pretty cool. Land has gotten expensive however, and housing is also going up, though not as bad as the Hill Country.

These towns have a lot of German- and Czech- descended folks, and to be honest they can also be dismissive of newbies whose families aren't from the area (as of say the 1920s). But I don't think it's terribly bad. Neither my nor my partner's families originate in the area, and we've done fine. The towns do have Mayberry elements.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 09:11 PM

141 posts, read 94,651 times
La Grange, Fayetteville, Brenham, or (closer to Austin) maybe Lockhart.

Old 10-23-2020, 12:23 AM

1,963 posts, read 2,501,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
My second home is outside of Brenham, and the towns in between Houston and Austin are generally pretty cool. Land has gotten expensive however, and housing is also going up, though not as bad as the Hill Country.

These towns have a lot of German- and Czech- descended folks, and to be honest they can also be dismissive of newbies whose families aren't from the area (as of say the 1920s). But I don't think it's terribly bad. Neither my nor my partner's families originate in the area, and we've done fine. The towns do have Mayberry elements.
I have ties out that way also closer to Hwy 6 though

You can move faster socially with certain last names but now folks are snatching land from the outside and the younger kids run towards the city so it’s not as embedded. I have an uncle on our family’s land happy to live in the rural part and he despises going into the city if he doesn’t have to. Give him a general store with the bare basics and he’ll do fine.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:28 AM

2,956 posts, read 2,959,619 times
I'm from NE Texas and your best bet is NE Texas. I would suggest the Tyler metro area. Lindale/Bullard could fit the bill. I wouldn't rule out Jacksonville/Palestine/Gilmer or Athens either. Nice small towns with quaint downtowns. I don't think Athens/ Palestine or Jacksonville are that insular either compared to smaller towns in East Texas.

Old 10-23-2020, 01:11 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,154,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
younger kids run towards the city
Unfortunately I think this happens all over Texas, and perhaps the entire country.

Old 10-24-2020, 08:53 AM

15,721 posts, read 21,273,899 times
People are going to disagree with me, but here it goes

Texas is a very capitalist state,
Basically, if you want to live in a “nice town” you have to make good money
If you don’t, you are going to be stuck in crappy towns.

A big reason for that is that “Big Texas state government” always favors the areas with money and screws over the are with little money.
It’s not a coincidence that all the major roads in The Woodlands are super wide with 3 lanes.

Old 10-24-2020, 05:44 PM

1,562 posts, read 901,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I'm from NE Texas and your best bet is NE Texas. I would suggest the Tyler metro area. Lindale/Bullard could fit the bill. I wouldn't rule out Jacksonville/Palestine/Gilmer or Athens either. Nice small towns with quaint downtowns. I don't think Athens/ Palestine or Jacksonville are that insular either compared to smaller towns in East Texas.
I visited Palestine one time for the Polar Express and quaint isn't a word that comes to mind.

Old 10-25-2020, 03:51 AM

666 posts, read 389,623 times
I've spent lots of time in Palestine, TX 1964-2013. Parents, aunts and uncles there. The local politics is strictly along racial lines and the elite doctors and lawyers take turns as mayor.

It turned into illegal drug country around 2008. Lots of police/swat presence there and they stay busy.

It was a town of pop. 20,000 with 22 lawyers in business there when I left. The downtown has been allowed to collapse and burn with all the businesses relocating to the highway loop over 20 years ago.

I used to really enjoy the downtown area, dominated by great old buildings and the busy rail traffic and only one bridge over the tracks. Still lots of fine old large homes near downtown, but most have need paint for 40 years.

BTW, lots of the towns mentioned in this thread have their local newspapers online which can give you some insight.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:22 PM

1,575 posts, read 2,908,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
The Woodlands is nothing like Mayberry. Id rule anything within 60 miles of Houston out. Even if it feels like Mayberry now, Houston will eventually swallow it. Tyler itself really isnt either but there are lots of towns near Tyler that might fit that bill. Something like Mineola or Gladewater.
This 100%. MUCH closer to Stepford Wives than Mayberry.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:05 PM

1,184 posts, read 271,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryRain View Post
Maybe I'm just a hopeless optimist?? Husband and I are young couple in our 30s. He's a first responder (firefighter/EMT) we are drawn to Texas for the affordable housing, decent jobs, and sunny weather. We'd love to have a baby, but don't want the kiddo to be raised by babysitters. We want to buy a home first, get some stability and have me be a stay at home mom.

So that being said, we are taking a HUGE leap of faith, moving out of our apartment, packing up our truck and travel trailer and moving to Texas in two weeks! (Gulp!!) Excited but nervous. We figured we could stay in campgrounds until we figure out exactly where we want to be long term. We've been looking at the area between the Woodlands and Tyler (I know! Big area!) Because I absolutely want to be out of hurricane, wash-your-home-away food zone, and I've heard anything west like Waco or north above Tyler, tornados are more prevalent.

Ideally:
-Safety first, we want a safer area for young families
-love smaller towns where you know your neighbor and run into friends at the grocery store
-we are always drawn to the Mayberry type downtowns we can stroll through and eat at local restaurants
-We want to be within an hour of stores like Home Depot and Walmart.
-Within an hour of a body of water. We're from the northwest, live two blocks from the ocean, a lake is nearby, we love water.

Too much to ask for? Any suggestions????
Your biggest issue is going to be all these small towns have only volunteer fire departments and possibly EMS as well. Some may contract the EMS portion out, but we are not talking high wages, even if you’re a certified Paramedic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston