Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2020, 08:40 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times

Advertisements

Long story short, have lived with my sister since moving out of my mom & dads in 2014. We had an apartment together til 2018 and then she bought a house and I pay her rent each month in the house, shes been encouraging me for a while about possibly moving out on my own eventually some day. Shes got a girlfriend now and they're looking to buy a house to settle down next summer and it's perfect time for me to get up and get out on my own.

I got a Chapter 7 bankruptcy discharged and officially debt free and got a reliable car that'll last for quite a few more years. I would be transferring my job (I work in a medical distribution center for a large medical company, we got locations all over the country and in many countries outside of the US) They got at least 2 different locations in Houston. On top of that aprtments seem to be quite a bit cheaper then they are here in Minneapolis.

How do these apartment locators work? Do they just spam your email with lists of apartment communities & phone numbers? Or do they actually reach out to apartments for you with your information and can find a place and explain my situation for me? For instance I found this one which claims they help with bad/poor credit.

Bad Credit, Broken Leases or Evictions - A.S.A.P Houston - Apartment Locating Service

Never been late on rent at the apartment or for my sister at the house, no eviction, no felonies, no criminal record, no nothing. Only bad mark is my discharged chapter 7 bankruptcy. When I start looking it'll have been over 6 months since discharge and I also got a Capital One credit card im using for tiny purchases to work on rebuilding my credit. (my credit is currently high 500s/low 600s)

I would definitely fly down for a week or at least a couple days to look at apartments and/or meet with an apartment locator agent (and visit my employer at the location I would transfer too) Aiming for next summer to transfer and to move which is when my sis & her girlfriend will be at looking at selling their house.

Update:Just want to add all the debt from my bankruptcy was medical & credit card debt. Never been late once on rent or anything and no landlord or anyone has ever been burned.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 12-12-2020 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 09:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Houston landlords can tap into a data base looking for deadbeats,but I DOnt think the data base is nationwide.
I dont thinkyou file 7 matter much to them

Old 12-13-2020, 12:45 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,063,464 times
Bankruptcy is most definitely publicly available info. nationwide, and even if they don't check a chapter 7 bankruptcy is on your credit report for 10 years so they'll see it when they pull your credit, which is why it's important to be upfront with the landlord before applying and before they pull your credit.

I'm not not going to delve into whether or not those that file bankruptcy are deadbeats or not.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 12-13-2020 at 12:55 AM..

Old 12-14-2020, 07:08 AM

38 posts, read 45,473 times
Bankruptcies happen, so I wouldn't dwell on the past. As mentioned, it does show on public record and does show on your credit report for anyone that runs it.

It takes about two years for higher risk lenders to consider you as viable, not really sure how landlords treat this. I would assume that it depends on how tight the market is, comparing someone with bankruptcy versus someone without it.

Anyone stating that they are offering to help those with poor credit, bankruptcy, etc., consider that this is not done for free. They are usually targeting that group in order to charge higher fees, interest rates, etc.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 3,120 times
Chp 7 may appear negative to some landlords, but not to most. Chp 7 is a one time gig...so any future debt will get paid one way or another, which is actually appealing to some creditors. I wouldn't worry about it much, but feel free to check out zillow or trulia for apartments....many of them have actual real estate agents that will snag you a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: