Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:49 PM

4 posts, read 17,342 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am currently considering moving to Texas. I just want to know general opinions about the Sugar Land area, and if it is indeed a good place to raise kids, etc.

My wife and I have several concerns regarding this very important choice since it would be the first time we move out of our native state. So any suggestions and feedback are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 12:36 PM

212 posts, read 1,273,299 times
I do not know much about Sugar Land, the school district is Fort Bend ISD (Independent School District). It must be nice because its steadily growing, and I think the projects are for continued fast growth. I have heard good things about Telfair and some of our regular Sugar Land posters are positive.

Look at the school districts website, its very informative as far as attendance zones...etc. Hope this helps. I say this over and over again, be sure you are looking at subdivisions that are either nearing completion or have had many homes already built, so that you know how the subdivision will turn out. Mr. Football will agree with me...

Old 04-22-2007, 12:43 PM

212 posts, read 1,273,299 times
My wife said New Territory is very nice, she has clients their.

http://www.newterritory.org/

Old 04-24-2007, 10:19 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Hi there,

I grew up in Sugar Land and went to school there, too. The only thing about living in Sugar Land is it's distance to downtown. It is quite a drive but most Houstonians are used to the commute that live outside the city limits.

The schools are top notch. I attended First Colony Middle School and Clements High School. They have great programs for kids and when I attended school there, the teachers were grade A! I have no doubt they still are! You can check out my old high school's website: http://www.fortbend.k12.tx.us/campuses/chs/about.cfm. If you want to know more about other schools, the school district Sugar Land is in is called Fort Bend Indpendent School District (FBISD).

There are beautiful homes there, too, and a variety of prices. Taxes are kind of high though. My Mom's home is about $220K and she pays around $10K in taxes. At least there is no state tax in TX but I guess it all evens out, eh?

I don't know what else you'd like to know but you can always drop me a msg. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:25 PM

627 posts, read 1,622,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Taxes are kind of high though. My Mom's home is about $220K and she pays around $10K in taxes. Good luck!
Are you serious? That's over 4.5%!! What about homestead exemption?

Old 05-03-2007, 02:44 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,253,371 times
Yeppers ... I don't know if that's with or w/o homestead exemption. I'm almost positive she has it but 4.5% does seem high, huh? I can't be sure now!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:05 AM

29 posts, read 106,869 times
HI foma, We are considering moving to sugarland. Could you send me a private message. My most important consideration is a school for my son (ppcd) . Could you kindly guide me.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:06 PM

17 posts, read 109,397 times
Sugar Land is a great place but there are a few problems if "you want it all" meaning the best schools, location and house.

Things to consider:

1. Most (95% I'd say) of the houses in the Clements High School (the "best" high school in FBISD and in the area) zoning area are atleast 15 years old with many being older. You will have to sacrifice on your house a bit to live in the Clements area.

2. The only considerably good high school (IMO) in FBISD is Clements and they are running a monopoly! Houses are only selling down there if the school is zoned to Clements.

3. Other parts of Sugar Land are also very nice such as New Territory, but the schools are not the best, but are still very good. You will see this clearly reflected in the house price and desirability.

4. Telfair has been hyped about but the houses are outrageously priced there only because it comes into Sugar Land city limits! In the beginning, many investors bought houses there and some people looking to actually live there. Right now sales of houses are WAY down. Also, the high school there, Kempner is not too good...

If you can, you should come to Katy and look around some of the top neighborhoods here (Cinco Ranch, Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes, Kelliwood, etc.) I consider the school district to be MUCH better (KISD) because more schools are performing well here compared to just 1 or 2 in FBISD. Houses are great, low crime and decent commute with Westpark Tollway.

Good luck and tell me if I helped you! Also feel free to message me with any questions, etc.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:19 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americaforall View Post
3. Other parts of Sugar Land are also very nice such as New Territory, but the schools are not the best, but are still very good. You will see this clearly reflected in the house price and desirability.
Huh? I live in New Territory and the schools zoned to my neighborhood are:

Walker Station Elementary: Exemplary
Sartartia Middle School: Exemplary
Stephen F. Austin High School: Recognized

Anyone with young children probably doesn't need to worry too much about the differences between Clements HS and Austin HS because given the population growth in Fort Bend County, there will almost certainly be more high schools built within 10 years.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,588 times
(1) There are portions of Riverstone that is zoned to Clements where you can get a new house. Or you can buy a house newer than 2000 in Avalon. Austin HS is also very highly ranked, I think Clements and Austin are both ranked the same this year.

(2) While a good HS is great. More important are good elementary and middle schools that lay strong foundations, and many area in Sugar Land have several.

(3) I think Prices in NT have shot up quite a bit because they have one of the best elementary and middle schools in the state.

(4) I just purchased one of the "outrageously" priced homes, I thought I got a bargain for a home that I built the way I wanted it on the lot I wanted. Plus in the 70, 80, and 90 foot sections, they are almost all sold out. There are plans to build a HS with in Telfair. Telfair is only zoned to Kempner for the short time. Many of the family that are moving into Telfair have young kids. Or like me do not have kids yet...so by the time these kids reach HS age, they will have a school for them. Also the high prices keep the rif raf out

I looked at places in Katy, but the distance from downtown and the virtual parking lot that the West Park toll road is from 7am-8:30am didn't really add any value. Plus the price ranges in some of these Katy area are really funny. If I am building an 800K+ house, I don't want a 150K or less started down the street. In Telfair, the range is just under 300 for a patio to 1.5M+ for the 7000+ SF custom homes. Telfair is similar to Avalon that was "overpriced" in the 1999-2003 time frame...and It's prices are still going up. you pay for location, and Telfair and Lake Pointe are the the last prime locations near 59, 6, and 90 left in Sugar Land....

Quote:
Originally Posted by americaforall View Post
Sugar Land is a great place but there are a few problems if "you want it all" meaning the best schools, location and house.

Things to consider:

1. Most (95% I'd say) of the houses in the Clements High School (the "best" high school in FBISD and in the area) zoning area are atleast 15 years old with many being older. You will have to sacrifice on your house a bit to live in the Clements area.

2. The only considerably good high school (IMO) in FBISD is Clements and they are running a monopoly! Houses are only selling down there if the school is zoned to Clements.

4. Telfair has been hyped about but the houses are outrageously priced there only because it comes into Sugar Land city limits! In the beginning, many investors bought houses there and some people looking to actually live there. Right now sales of houses are WAY down. Also, the high school there, Kempner is not too good...

If you can, you should come to Katy and look around some of the top neighborhoods here (Cinco Ranch, Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes, Kelliwood, etc.) I consider the school district to be MUCH better (KISD) because more schools are performing well here compared to just 1 or 2 in FBISD. Houses are great, low crime and decent commute with Westpark Tollway.

Good luck and tell me if I helped you! Also feel free to message me with any questions, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston