Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2020, 10:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,271 times

Advertisements

Of the following schools, Awty, Grace, Village, Public HISD or KISD, which would have the most rigorous curriculum for an upper elementary student? Would love a school that places emphasis on STEM particularly coding. Any insight on any of the schools listed would be greatly appreciated. Pros, Cons? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 03:27 PM

567 posts, read 1,612,079 times
We can't pay $20k per year per student for these private schools so we're in KISD. Seemed like a good idea until recently. Kids are working from home with online school and I see how they are bored out of their mind after finishing their work in 15-20 mins per assignment. Supposedly they are doing same material. My son didn't make it into any GT program and honeslty I don't even know what it consists of, but he aces everything he's given. My daughter is in 1st grade, and her teacher told us that she already mastered everything needed for that grade level earlier in December. She kills time by reading books and doing art. We will get her some online music lessons next semester, because she is truly bored at school.

I too wonder about other less expensive alternatives.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:15 PM

Oskar_Z28, thank you for that perspective. I was afraid of that. I'm hoping you get more of a tailored experience with private school but haven't confirmed that.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:19 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 631,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
We can't pay $20k per year per student for these private schools so we're in KISD. Seemed like a good idea until recently. Kids are working from home with online school and I see how they are bored out of their mind after finishing their work in 15-20 mins per assignment. Supposedly they are doing same material. My son didn't make it into any GT program and honeslty I don't even know what it consists of, but he aces everything he's given. My daughter is in 1st grade, and her teacher told us that she already mastered everything needed for that grade level earlier in December. She kills time by reading books and doing art. We will get her some online music lessons next semester, because she is truly bored at school.

I too wonder about other less expensive alternatives.
Didn’t Katy isd give you options of online school and face to face that you can opt out every grading period? If your son is in middle school GT program and PreAp program are in the same class nothing different between the two.

I don’t know about public GT in Houston isd but GT program in katy isd the kids have GT class one day every week with special summer program.

Last edited by ptt; 12-31-2020 at 09:27 AM..

Old 12-31-2020, 03:47 PM

567 posts, read 1,612,079 times
Son is not in GT since we just came back to the US this past September and I am not sure what options we have to enter into 3rd grade. Daughter just applied for GT (1st grade), but have not heard anything. I think KISD is in serious disarray and many teachers are leaving. Even in Brazil where we came from (yes, private school) it was alot more organized. Standard classes are no challenge for them. Supposedly the online curriculum is same as in person. I see alot of fluff in regular school and see how kids can be bored when they are in person.

Old 12-31-2020, 09:13 PM
ptt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
Son is not in GT since we just came back to the US this past September and I am not sure what options we have to enter into 3rd grade. Daughter just applied for GT (1st grade), but have not heard anything. I think KISD is in serious disarray and many teachers are leaving. Even in Brazil where we came from (yes, private school) it was alot more organized. Standard classes are no challenge for them. Supposedly the online curriculum is same as in person. I see alot of fluff in regular school and see how kids can be bored when they are in person.
It’s really depends on each school. We are quite happy with ours.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
It’s really depends on each school. We are quite happy with ours.
What school are you at? I’ve heard they can vary greatly.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:07 AM
ptt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear77 View Post
What school are you at? I’ve heard they can vary greatly.
We are zoned to Pattison elementary, McMeans Jr.H and Taylor High.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:09 AM

5 posts, read 11,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear77 View Post
Of the following schools, Awty, Grace, Village, Public HISD or KISD, which would have the most rigorous curriculum for an upper elementary student? Would love a school that places emphasis on STEM particularly coding. Any insight on any of the schools listed would be greatly appreciated. Pros, Cons? Thanks.
Of the privates listed, AWTY is the most rigorous. Grace the least.

Old 01-01-2021, 11:55 AM

2,536 posts, read 4,010,225 times
My recommendation would be to find a good Montessori school. Best investment you'll ever make (and there are some public ones now). Children learn how to be motivated by their own interests and their own desire to do well, rather than through external motivators like grades. They also learn social skills and empathy. My son just transitioned from Montessori to a regular high school and all those skills really paid off this past semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: