Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2021, 01:37 PM

399 posts, read 270,326 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have several TVs and only one of them can receive a signal from KTRK ABC13 channel, but the others can't for some reason. FYI, it's only the newest tv in the house can pick up the ABC13 channel for some reason. Does anyone have tips or suggestions? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 05:08 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default More info...

Do they each have their own antenna, or are they using a split signal from a single antenna? What kind of antenna, or antennas are being used, and where are they located?

Old 01-11-2021, 05:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 3,450,620 times
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/hou...#post-60408316

Check out this forum for tips on pulling in OTA channels. I too have issues pulling in KTRK. It seems to be hit or miss.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:46 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,512 times
I have the same issue in the Montrose area. The signal is inconsistent.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Do they each have their own antenna, or are they using a split signal from a single antenna? What kind of antenna, or antennas are being used, and where are they located?
Yes, each have their own antenna. One Sony has a TERK antenna that is setting on the floor next to the TV, the other Sony tv has a RCA antenna that is sitting on the eating tray thing next to the TV, the Samsung has old rabbit ears that B.C. the OTA of 2009 that is to the side Brand is RCA Antenna, one tv is a Sharp without antenna according to my mom ( that's want she said IDK). Samsung is from 2008, the two Sony's are from 2009 and Sharp is about two years old. Thank you

Old 01-11-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Krinkle View Post
I have the same issue in the Montrose area. The signal is inconsistent.
I've been having problems for months on my Samsung with ABC13, so I've been watching 13 news online from their website.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:27 PM

Default Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloKitty76 View Post
Yes, each have their own antenna. One Sony has a TERK antenna that is setting on the floor next to the TV, the other Sony tv has a RCA antenna that is sitting on the eating tray thing next to the TV, the Samsung has old rabbit ears that B.C. the OTA of 2009 that is to the side Brand is RCA Antenna, one tv is a Sharp without antenna according to my mom ( that's want she said IDK). Samsung is from 2008, the two Sony's are from 2009 and Sharp is about two years old. Thank you
Thanks for the info, unfortunately, with your setup, I don't have any advice, other than to get an aerial (outdoor) antenna. It is no longer cool to have one, as my neighbors have noted. You can still buy them. My neighbor once asked me if I had any streaming service, which I do, then he asked why I still have that old thing on my roof!

I had a hobby in satellite TV, going back to the big C-Band dishes, then smaller dishes, not DirecTV, or DISH, but small, 1 meter, to pick up free-to-air (FTA) programming. I also had a good antenna as well, and still have that sucker mounted. It is one of those big ones one used to see in the 'day'. However, my Vizio TV has 129 stations, and my Sony has 159. Most of it junk, but I do get the locals perfectly clear, I even get Bryan College Station, or if I move my antenna, I can get the Galveston station, I forget which... I watch only IP tv now. Most SMART TVs now have IP programming, like PLUTO, lots of good programming there. Good luck!

Old 01-11-2021, 11:30 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,970,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Thanks for the info, unfortunately, with your setup, I don't have any advice, other than to get an aerial (outdoor) antenna. It is no longer cool to have one, as my neighbors have noted. You can still buy them. My neighbor once asked me if I had any streaming service, which I do, then he asked why I still have that old thing on my roof!

I had a hobby in satellite TV, going back to the big C-Band dishes, then smaller dishes, not DirecTV, or DISH, but small, 1 meter, to pick up free-to-air (FTA) programming. I also had a good antenna as well, and still have that sucker mounted. It is one of those big ones one used to see in the 'day'. However, my Vizio TV has 129 stations, and my Sony has 159. Most of it junk, but I do get the locals perfectly clear, I even get Bryan College Station, or if I move my antenna, I can get the Galveston station, I forget which... I watch only IP tv now. Most SMART TVs now have IP programming, like PLUTO, lots of good programming there. Good luck!
An aerial would most likely do the trick. As a kid about 20 miles from downtown Houston, we had a big antenna in the attic that did a good job. That was before digital, so I’m not sure how that would change things.

I’m in Los Angeles now, and despite living right in the middle of the city, I can’t get a good reception for some stations with the flat digital antenna in my window. I wanted ABC and Fox to watch college football. I was going to try out a bunch of antennas to see if I could find one that worked well, but in the end I stumbled across LoCast.

https://locast.org

It lets you stream all your local area broadcast channels live if you live in several large media markets (Houston is one). They say it’s free and run by “donations,” and that is how they so far have escaped getting shutdown (though pretty much all the networks have sued them, and I believe the case is ongoing). However, the free version is unwatchable, as they interrupt every so often to show their own ads, and that may be during a goal line stand or a major plot point in a movie or TV show, which you would then miss. If you “donate” $5.50 a month, you can basically watch all the OTA channels in crystal clear HD live via your internet. The biggest drawback is no DVR, but for $11 for 2 months, I was able to live stream the World Series, as well as my favorite college team’s COVID truncated season to my TV.

I only wanted it for football season, so when I did the math, it was so much cheaper than a new antenna, it was kind-of a no brainer. In LA, with all the broadcast sub channels, I got 50 something stations on LoCast. If I watched more TV, I might have kept it, since it would only be $66/yr, but I’ll probably get it for football season again next year.

Old 01-12-2021, 12:25 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,215,538 times
for those c-bands - if you knew the coordinates how many channels could you actually get?

Old 01-12-2021, 08:52 AM

Default Ha-ha...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
for those c-bands - if you knew the coordinates how many channels could you actually get?
Not much is broadcast on C-band these days, but back in the 80-90's, hundreds. Even today with KU-band, there are many channels up there. But long gone are the days of watching free HBO/CINEMAX/STAR, etc. It is still fun though because live feeds are everywhere, plus the PBS stations. C-band is not used much anymore because of the large dish requirements, but there are still a few random stations up there. I will say though, the signal and video quality from a dish feed is 'first generation', and the picture is unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston