U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-07-2008, 06:40 AM

3 posts, read 11,501 times
Default Homeschooling in Sugar Land?

I live in First Colony in Sugar Land and I am planning on homeschooling my son next year, maybe the rest of this year, but not 100% on that yet. I need all the support and guidance I can get. I am NOT a teacher, but I know this will be best for my son. He is SEVERE adhd, pdd-nos, LD, and memory problems. He just isn't learning in the typical, standard public school way. He is a square peg in a round hole there (even with a lot of special education). Anyway, if any one can send me in the right direction or tell me about some homeschooling groups in my area, I would really, really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:15 AM

24 posts, read 123,118 times
Go to yahoo groups and search for G-HAH which is greater houston area homeschoolers. From that group you will find others in your area.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:33 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,394,640 times
FLAIR Homeschool Co-Op is located in Sugar Land. Here's their list of other homeschooling groups and resources in the area. FLAIR Houston Homeschooling (http://www.flairhomeschoolers.com/flair_houston_homeschooling.html - broken link)

Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prncessme View Post
I live in First Colony in Sugar Land and I am planning on homeschooling my son next year, maybe the rest of this year, but not 100% on that yet. I need all the support and guidance I can get. I am NOT a teacher, but I know this will be best for my son. He is SEVERE adhd, pdd-nos, LD, and memory problems. He just isn't learning in the typical, standard public school way. He is a square peg in a round hole there (even with a lot of special education). Anyway, if any one can send me in the right direction or tell me about some homeschooling groups in my area, I would really, really appreciate it.
I am living in First Colony in Sugar Land too. Could you please let me know if you have found any homeschooling groups? I am thinking to do the same for my son. I would realy apprecaite if if you reply. Thanks.

Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 PM

2 posts, read 6,216 times
I agree with joining the G-Hah Yahoo Group.

I also recommend taking a ride to the Homeschool Store inside the N. Loop on Judiway. Randy and his family are always ready to help and can recommend some support groups for you. Their store is fun to browse in. Another store the HEP Bookstore off of I-45S and Fuqua.

I tried to post some links to some groups but couldn't get them to work. Try and google WHHE in Katy and Homeschool Support Groups in Sugar Land. Also check with the Homeschool Store.

Most homeschoolers recommend joining the Texas Home School Coalition. This is a legal group that stays on top of all the home schooling issues in our state. If you ever have any trouble with your school district they will provide legal help. They are at THSC.org.

Good luck and remember that you are doing a wonderful thing.

Last edited by pe1972; 02-01-2010 at 08:11 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM

19 posts, read 32,615 times
Sugar Creek Christian Home Educators is in Sugar Land. I can't post a link, but you can search for them on Google.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 PM

51 posts, read 66,922 times
I am in Katy with a daughter that sounds very much like your son. I have been homeschooling her for 4 years now, and have been looking for a group to talk to as well. Thanks to everyone so far for the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston