Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM

5 posts, read 32,620 times

Advertisements

We are ready to move from Arizona to Houston and we are trying to figure out an efficient way to identify the best rated schools by area/middle class in Houston, any hint? We have found some web places like GreatSchools.net however, they do not really offer an easy comparison system among counties or cities or areas. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 PM

125 posts, read 310,512 times
The State Department of Education has rankings listed online. Great Schools works well but you need to know the names of districts around Houston... for some great schools try the Fort Bend School District in and around Sugar Land, a SW suburb of Houston.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:39 AM

799 posts, read 3,677,874 times
I believe Katy and Klein have 2 of the top school districts, there are others but not sure which rate highest although I know of alot of good school districts.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 20,225 times
Default Best schools in Houston

Klein ISD is a good district as long as you stay to the north. Do not get anywhere near 1960 and Beltway 8. I moved here three years ago and made this mistake. Cy-Fair also is a great district, the further north you go the better the schools are. I have heard to many mixed opinions on Spring ISD to want my children there. Anything inner city in my personal opinion after researching is bad, to many kids and parents that do not care about their education. Look at all the statistics of the school! Also check school web sites themselves to see if there is a PTO that actually exists and how many positions within the PTO are vacant, it is a huge indicator on parent involvement and an indictor of possible problems. Good luck!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:26 PM

153 posts, read 304,249 times
In addition to the ones listed above, Pearland and Friendswood are supposed to be good as well.

If you're looking at Klein, stay in the Cypresswood area and on... that's about as close to 1960 and the Beltway I'd go; we just moved from the area to Katy, and the schools there were good.

HISD has some excellent schools, but you have to choose your neighborhoods by school. Some are great, some are definitely not. Bellaire High School, and the schools that feed into it, is going to be an excellent choice for that.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:14 PM

759 posts, read 3,171,365 times
Fort Bend has some really good school, but also bad ones...
here is a list of the schools and their ratings, test scores, demographics breakdown, etc...
Fort Bend Schools

Old 06-22-2008, 11:21 PM

68 posts, read 293,052 times
Klein ISD(north of 1960), Katy ISD(South of I-10), Cy-Fair ISD(nothing zoned to Cy-Ridge High School), Fort Bend ISD(avoid anything zoned to Bush or Willowridge High School), Conroe ISD, Pearland ISD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston