Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 04:29 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times

Advertisements

Hi there mojo101, all... do not be discouraged about the amount of sodium (not salt) that is added to your water, it is miniscule, and not worth measuring. Tap water will have about 20-25 milligrams of sodium in an 8 oz glass, and that is with what residue that makes it into the water. To compare that, an 8 oz glass of milk has about 200mg. The maximum allowed that is considered safe is 2300mg/day. A can of Coca-Cola has about 45mg. Even one slice of bread has about 130-150mg. You get the point.

The purpose of the sodium is only to recharge the beads in the reactor, and that happens only when the unit is recharging, the reactor is flushed with fresh water to get all the sodium out of the reactor once the recharge cycle completes. Once the beads are recharged, water flows over them, and the beads hold onto the calcium, iron, and other compounds, and you end up with great, soft water.

Since this is a new house, you can also ask them to plumb it so that the water spigots and kitchen get regular tap water, and use soft water everywhere else if you have any concerns. I've had water softeners since the mid 80's, starting with a Montgomery Ward model! I went through Sears, GE models. I finally purchased a dual tank system so that one is giving the house soft water while the other one is recharged. When the system recharges, it switches to the standby tank, and the other tank cycles, and repeats, so I am never without soft water.

I do my own refills of sodium pellets, it is not a hassle to me... yet. There is a service that you can sign up for where someone will come and do it for you, and also maintain your unit, but I do my own maintenance as well... I am a DIY guy. Anyway, good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 06:56 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,472,539 times
thanks for the information on sodium chloride,I was using potassium chloride,once I stopped using it,I dont feel drowsy anymore.
How much did you pay for your latest water softener ,the co which I bought from quoted me latest model for $1845 plus 350 NS3000.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:03 PM

Default Wow... they've gone up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
thanks for the information on sodium chloride,I was using potassium chloride,once I stopped using it,I dont feel drowsy anymore.
How much did you pay for your latest water softener ,the co which I bought from quoted me latest model for $1845 plus 350 NS3000.
Well, 'latest' for me is almost 18 years ago! 'Purchased it right before our first born. It was about 1K, maybe $1200 back then. It is a manual type, and uses a Fleck controller. I had digital before, and I have never had as much reliability as with my manual Fleck. Even the digital ones use a manual flow meter. I love the simplicity of it, well, once you calculate the granules needed. But I set it up, and maybe tweaked it a couple of times, but it has been the same for at least 15 years. Flawless operation. I should probably order the resin beads, it's about time, but I still have soft water, so have not done it. Anyone who has not had soft water does not know what they are missing!

Old 03-09-2021, 08:26 AM

2,016 posts, read 3,521,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Well, 'latest' for me is almost 18 years ago! 'Purchased it right before our first born. It was about 1K, maybe $1200 back then. It is a manual type, and uses a Fleck controller. I had digital before, and I have never had as much reliability as with my manual Fleck. Even the digital ones use a manual flow meter. I love the simplicity of it, well, once you calculate the granules needed. But I set it up, and maybe tweaked it a couple of times, but it has been the same for at least 15 years. Flawless operation. I should probably order the resin beads, it's about time, but I still have soft water, so have not done it. Anyone who has not had soft water does not know what they are missing!
Amazing you've gone 18 years on the original resin. I always assumed it would only last 10 years or so. We have a Fleck 7000 that's about 10 years old now, so I've been wondering when it's time to change out the resin, or just replace the system since that might be cheaper. I should probably buy a test kit just to make sure the water is still soft enough.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:53 AM

18 posts, read 26,807 times
Quote:
Hi there mojo101, all... do not be discouraged about the amount of sodium (not salt) that is added to your water, it is miniscule, and not worth measuring. Tap water will have about 20-25 milligrams of sodium in an 8 oz glass, and that is with what residue that makes it into the water. To compare that, an 8 oz glass of milk has about 200mg. The maximum allowed that is considered safe is 2300mg/day. A can of Coca-Cola has about 45mg. Even one slice of bread has about 130-150mg. You get the point.

The purpose of the sodium is only to recharge the beads in the reactor, and that happens only when the unit is recharging, the reactor is flushed with fresh water to get all the sodium out of the reactor once the recharge cycle completes. Once the beads are recharged, water flows over them, and the beads hold onto the calcium, iron, and other compounds, and you end up with great, soft water.

Since this is a new house, you can also ask them to plumb it so that the water spigots and kitchen get regular tap water, and use soft water everywhere else if you have any concerns. I've had water softeners since the mid 80's, starting with a Montgomery Ward model! I went through Sears, GE models. I finally purchased a dual tank system so that one is giving the house soft water while the other one is recharged. When the system recharges, it switches to the standby tank, and the other tank cycles, and repeats, so I am never without soft water.

I do my own refills of sodium pellets, it is not a hassle to me... yet. There is a service that you can sign up for where someone will come and do it for you, and also maintain your unit, but I do my own maintenance as well... I am a DIY guy. Anyway, good luck!
Great info, thank you!

Question regarding the pre-plumbing, do most plumb the water softener to laundry?

Old 03-09-2021, 11:14 AM

Default Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Amazing you've gone 18 years on the original resin. I always assumed it would only last 10 years or so. We have a Fleck 7000 that's about 10 years old now, so I've been wondering when it's time to change out the resin, or just replace the system since that might be cheaper. I should probably buy a test kit just to make sure the water is still soft enough.
I know mine needs to be replaced, but the unit still gives soft water, and well, I'm leaving the country in a few months. I looked into doing it once, it is not too bad of a procedure, especially since I have two tanks. Would you believe the only reason I did not order was because I did not have a large funnel at that time?! I still don't. 'Just one of those things, at the keyboard, ready to purchase, then changed my mind.

Old 03-09-2021, 11:17 AM

Default New?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByWayofNYC View Post
Great info, thank you!

Question regarding the pre-plumbing, do most plumb the water softener to laundry?
If it is a new home, then they can plumb it however you ask. In my house, the only thing not on soft water are the water spigots outside, and sprinkler system. Though I did wish I had two spigots outside, one to water bushes, clean driveway, etc., and the other, soft, only for washing vehicles. Nice not to have hard water marks on black vehicles.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 26,807 times
Quote:
If it is a new home, then they can plumb it however you ask. In my house, the only thing not on soft water are the water spigots outside, and sprinkler system. Though I did wish I had two spigots outside, one to water bushes, clean driveway, etc., and the other, soft, only for washing vehicles. Nice not to have hard water marks on black vehicles.
Thanks again!

Old 03-10-2021, 08:15 PM

814 posts, read 675,953 times
The "loop" for the water softener at my house is plastic pipe, I easily added a soft water hose valve to the units output. Hacksaw, couple pieces of plastic pipe fittings, metal hose bib, pvc glue.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:52 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,830,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resonator View Post
The "loop" for the water softener at my house is plastic pipe, I easily added a soft water hose valve to the units output. Hacksaw, couple pieces of plastic pipe fittings, metal hose bib, pvc glue.
Is that plastic pipe, or PVC? If it's PEX, you can't glue it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston