Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2021, 06:54 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,061,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I agree with this. I follow small school football like 3A and 4A. I also sometimes follow 2A Newton because they are from my hometown area. But yeah, the smaller school games still have the charm while the larger school games feel like a big commercial.
Newton HS grad 1973! They are actually small school 3A! Enrollment of 298 at the last classification. It was somewhat bigger back in my day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 12:03 AM

29 posts, read 21,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Lots and lots of that. The rule is you can't transfer for athletic purposes, but they can't stop you from playing because you went to live with another family member.

When I was working HSFB beat in Galveston County, there was one kid from Texas City who got into a spat with his coaches, and apparently told them he was transferring to La Marque (when La Marque football still mattered) because he didn't want to play for them. This resulted in a protracted hearing and appeal process that ended up in his not getting to play his senior year at LM.

Had he kept his intentions to himself, TC wouldn't have been able to stop him from playing. Guess it had a good ending, though, since he went on to Mizzou and then played in the NFL for a couple years.
The rules have slightly changed. If a kid decides to transfer to another school, the former coach can sign a PAPF which would grant would immediate eligibility. This is how you get some kids transferring to 3 schools to play with out sitting a full year and some who will have to sit and lose eligibility.

Old 06-06-2021, 08:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,218,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Lots and lots of that. The rule is you can't transfer for athletic purposes, but they can't stop you from playing because you went to live with another family member.

When I was working HSFB beat in Galveston County, there was one kid from Texas City who got into a spat with his coaches, and apparently told them he was transferring to La Marque (when La Marque football still mattered) because he didn't want to play for them. This resulted in a protracted hearing and appeal process that ended up in his not getting to play his senior year at LM.

Had he kept his intentions to himself, TC wouldn't have been able to stop him from playing. Guess it had a good ending, though, since he went on to Mizzou and then played in the NFL for a couple years.
that LM, TC area is weird. Kids zoned to West Texas City go to LaMarque

but then now you see those same families migrate north to the closest Clear Creek ISD school which is Clear Falls as its within several miles of Dickinson, LM and Texas City. Same with Galveston Ball as that area athletically is nothing what it was prior to the 2000s.

In terms of a hearing - the kid at Texas A&M, Demas, mysteriously can't attend North Forest as a senior and wants to make a drastic move to Tomball which a blind man knows that raises eyes. NFISD killed that successfully as the kid forgot to take his family with him

Old 06-06-2021, 09:22 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
1. Yep due to how it was La Marque ISD, a totally separate district http://www2.census.gov/geo/maps/dc10...C48167_001.pdf That merged into Texas City ISD, but TCISD kept the existing school zones intact.

2. Galveston started having higher property prices so the families began to be priced out. https://web.archive.org/web/20071231...cba57d52dda271

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post

but then now you see those same families migrate north to the closest Clear Creek ISD school which is Clear Falls as its within several miles of Dickinson, LM and Texas City. Same with Galveston Ball as that area athletically is nothing what it was prior to the 2000s.

In terms of a hearing - the kid at Texas A&M, Demas, mysteriously can't attend North Forest as a senior and wants to make a drastic move to Tomball which a blind man knows that raises eyes. NFISD killed that successfully as the kid forgot to take his family with him

Old 06-07-2021, 06:15 AM

223 posts, read 262,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
I may or may not have heard chatter years ago about how middle school kids who were set to go to Katy Taylor HS were all of a sudden living in a different apartment and attending Katy HS when ninth grade rolled around.
You mean, KISD zoning, that keeps all the apartments along I-10 and 99 zoned to KHS instead of the more appropriate MRHS or CRHS, isn't an accident? Shocked, I tellya.

Now discuss Firethorne zoning.......

Old 06-07-2021, 11:49 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:

The talent base of both TC and LM has gone up the road to CCISD, Pearland etc. Talked about that with another longrunning veteran of the HS sports journalism scene around there, when I visited last week.

Remember reading this on the old Rivals TexasPrep site? I'm gone now, LM is all but gone now, but this survives to remind of when that patch mattered on the statewide level.

The circle of life goes on. Domonique Johnson, the player involved in that eligibility matter way back when, coaches defensive backs at Dickinson now. The Gators didn't even have a dedicated weight room when I first started working with their program in 2000. Now they're GC's big dogs, at least until they run into North Shore or Katy in the playoffs. And their stadium might as well be the local equivalent of Allen's.

Old 06-07-2021, 10:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,218,368 times
lol

Kerlegan was at Grambling - played a little QB (most known for his first drive against UH in 2006) - got hurt playing receiver the next year and disappeared lol

Franklin was a role player at Prairie View - there was another LM wide receiver named Mike Benson who turned out to be pretty good at Prairie View but he went to a Cali JUCO first before coming back.

I grew up when Ball was the big dog out there and then Texas City..LM got hot in the late 90s once they settled into 4A. Ball was always loaded with NFL talent and had size and speed.

Old 06-07-2021, 11:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
Newton HS grad 1973! They are actually small school 3A! Enrollment of 298 at the last classification. It was somewhat bigger back in my day.
Gotcha!

I had a stint at WO-S. There were some epic pre-season battles with WO-S vs Newton, but I can promise you all of Orange supports Newton in the postseason.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:35 AM

29 posts, read 21,842 times
Quote:

That wasnt the story behind Demas denied eligibility when he transferred to Tomball from North Forest.

His coach at NF refused to sign the PAPF which prompted a UIL hearing. Brought up other details and accusation from the coach in regards to a trainer Demas and the QB at Tomball were working with off season. I believe he was offered a chance to go back to North Forest but refused to and sat out.

Similar situation happened last season with a few players here in San Antonio that transferred to Judson and head coach at Brandeis(who is ironically the new defensive coordinator for Allen HS ) refused to sign the PAPF papers which led to a district hearing involving the UIL to denying eligibility. One went back to Wagner, Judson's sister school, and the other went to a TAPPS private school where he had former ties to as a youth player.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:50 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Quote:
Ball was always loaded with NFL talent and had size and speed.
Always* even when the sum of the parts on the roster wasn't good enough to get too far, with Katy and such out there with greater depth that the Island couldn't match.

To this day, we still have Mike Evans of the Bucs representing the Tors in the League.

(*"always" = "after Central High was integrated into Ball")

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...gi?id=93b848f2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston