Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 03:16 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,303,518 times

Advertisements

Houston’s more centralized sports venues are a definite plus when it comes to large events, but let’s not get too crazy saying it’s more urban than Dallas and so on. The population is larger because the land area absorbs a lot more of the surrounding suburbia. If the population was that high in a smaller area, that would be impressive. As it stands now, both cities have similar PPSM metrics and that includes the large swaths of incorporated Dallas that are not developable. I can’t think of one area that’s more urban in design than Central Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 03:30 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
DFW has more walkable urban districts than Houston (outside of their downtowns). I could only wish that Houston had districts that were as walkable as Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, and Uptown. Midtown's OK, but Montrose and Washington are lacking in comfortable walkability. Uptown / Post Oak has improved a lot, but still converting from a purely suburban model. EaDo, 2nd Ward, Almeda, White Oak...yes people walk but frankly sidewalks and crosswalks just need a lot more improvements.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:03 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,050,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Lol...

Yes, the breakdown is necessary because the first thing Dallas homers like to do in debates like this is include FW when it suits them...usually when it comes to population numbers and pathetic attempts to one-up Houston in the economics department, such as the ridiculous "more fortune 500 companies" argument. Yes, DFW (meaning Dallas, Fort Worth, and all the millions of suburbs surrounding them) has more fortune 500 companies...but neither Dallas OR Fort Worth or those millions of suburbs by themselves has more fortune 500 companies than HOUSTON BY ITSELF. Houston is one big shining single star, whereas DFW is a conglomeration of a couple of mid-size stars helped by a number of comets surrounding them. And this is why Houston is almost always chosen as the premier event destination in Texas. There's no "confusion" as to where an event will be held, whereas in DFW, it could be in one of the thousands of suburbs.

I've said a million times that I like Dallas, but homers like you don't make it easy. To be bluntly honest, Dallas by itself is nowhere near Houston's level as a city. Houston is twice the size, more urban, and has a better party and event scene. DFW, AS A COLLECTION, is a force to be reckoned with however. That's the fairest comparison I can come up with.
I agree with the bolded completely. As a city, Dallas is nowhere near Houston's level imo. Some of that is fair, because Houston is almost twice the size with twice the number of people. But I think Houston offers the best urban living in Texas (having lived in both central Austin and Dallas as well).

I think DFW's suburbs are second to none and if I was going to choose a suburban lifestyle, it would be there. I've always said Houston is better for city living, Dallas is better for suburban living.

It's funny too because a friend came down from Dallas this weekend and brought a friend who had never been to Houston with her (and lives in Carrollton). We hung out with them a good chunk of the weekend and last night sitting at a restaurant, her opinion of her weekend was "I like it here but y'all turn up too much, its too noisy and busy, its too much construction and the traffic is terrible. I'll be back to visit soon though!"

That's Houston in a nutshell lol.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:06 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,589,672 times
I honestly rarely get the vibe from Dallasites themselves. I’m fairly well connected there and they certainly don’t act like these C-D homers.

To be fair Houston homers are annoying from the other side too though.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:10 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,271,469 times
There are definitely things in Dallas that i wish Houston would get on ball with. Midtown/Mid-Main area was getting there before the pandemic and it always appeared to be swarming with people when i went.

One thing i've always been envious of Dallas is Mockingbird Station and their Subway/Central Place. I was so disappointed because It seemed that Houston had the opportunity to answer to that with the new Westpark/Lower Uptown transit center, but of course, they chose the most plain, souless, boring transit model to build, rather than something more cutting edge. Same goes for the Northwest transit center.

Dammit Houston!

Old 07-26-2021, 05:21 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I honestly rarely get the vibe from Dallasites themselves. I’m fairly well connected there and they certainly don’t act like these C-D homers.

Dallas homers are hated because we always have to correct misinformation.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:27 PM

869 posts, read 319,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Houston’s more centralized sports venues are a definite plus when it comes to large events, but let’s not get too crazy saying it’s more urban than Dallas and so on. The population is larger because the land area absorbs a lot more of the surrounding suburbia. If the population was that high in a smaller area, that would be impressive. As it stands now, both cities have similar PPSM metrics and that includes the large swaths of incorporated Dallas that are not developable. I can’t think of one area that’s more urban in design than Central Dallas.

In DESIGN, yes. In REALITY, not so much (at least not by a prominent amount).

Old 07-26-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
DFW has more walkable urban districts than Houston (outside of their downtowns). I could only wish that Houston had districts that were as walkable as Deep Ellum, Bishop Arts, and Uptown. Midtown's OK, but Montrose and Washington are lacking in comfortable walkability. Uptown / Post Oak has improved a lot, but still converting from a purely suburban model. EaDo, 2nd Ward, Almeda, White Oak...yes people walk but frankly sidewalks and crosswalks just need a lot more improvements.

I can certainly agree with all of this.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I agree with the bolded completely. As a city, Dallas is nowhere near Houston's level imo. Some of that is fair, because Houston is almost twice the size with twice the number of people. But I think Houston offers the best urban living in Texas (having lived in both central Austin and Dallas as well).

I think DFW's suburbs are second to none and if I was going to choose a suburban lifestyle, it would be there. I've always said Houston is better for city living, Dallas is better for suburban living.

I've always said this as well, and I can't think of anyone who would disagree with this assessment. Still...The Woodlands owns them all.

It's funny too because a friend came down from Dallas this weekend and brought a friend who had never been to Houston with her (and lives in Carrollton). We hung out with them a good chunk of the weekend and last night sitting at a restaurant, her opinion of her weekend was "I like it here but y'all turn up too much, its too noisy and busy, its too much construction and the traffic is terrible. I'll be back to visit soon though!"

That's Houston in a nutshell lol.

Pretty much, lol.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post

To be honest, the only time I see Houston homers get ridiculous is in defense of the city. Maybe I should read more threads, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston