Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most complete Houston suburb
Conroe 0 0%
Cypress 1 1.41%
Katy/Cinco 8 11.27%
Pearland 3 4.23%
Spring 2 2.82%
Sugar Land 31 43.66%
The Woodlands 26 36.62%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 09:20 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear Bear View Post
Do you know what the word fact means? Im not sure if you do.

Dallas has two teams (Mavs and Stars) that play in Dallas. Name me the three teams that play in Arlington....since you are all about facts?

Just because a city has some stadiums, or a suburban office park does not make it a satellite city.

Pontiac Michigan, and Auburn Hills are not satellite cities of the Detroit metro area just because the Lions and Pistons used to play in those respective burbs.

Ft Lauderdale, Long Beach California, Oakland, San Jose., Tacoma, St Paul.....etc are satellite cities of their respective metro regions.

That means when someone gets on a plane from NYC they will tell someone they are flying to Oakland, or Orange County....etc

No one travels to Arlington, or Plano from out of state. They just state they are going to some surrounding city in the Dallas area.

Arlington, Plano, Irving.....where are the Airports for these cities?
What about the transit authority?
Do any of these cities have a real CBD?

Those cities depend on Dallas and Ft Worth for those things....hence being large suburbs.

again....you and this word "Fact"......now I'm really wondering if you know what that word means.
This goes back to my original point of certain people in Texas way overvaluing suburbs.

Please explain to me what Arlington, Irving and Plano has that Dallas can't offer.
I'm genuinely curious.
Calm down. Not everyone will agree with you. As I was saying, Arlington is a bridge city to me. Semi city level aspects and acting as a suburb for two cities at once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 05:04 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
City-Data, at least in the TX forums, tends to be very very suburb-oriented. And upscale suburbs at that.

Look, the desire for suburbs to completely supplant the city has long existed. Look at Oakland County MI. They almost succeeded in some ways - then stuff started going back into Detroit. Detroit, of all places!
I was impressed with the Mall at Millennia when I was visiting Orlando a few years ago. The design and layout was refreshing! Then I read online that it was inspired by the Somerset Collection in Troy, MI (Oakland Co.). Turns out the developer owns both malls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I love La Centerra. But it’s an outdoor shopping area more than anything. A really nice one but still just that. The Katy Boardwalk has plans to be much more than that. They’re really turning it into a walkable, mixed use actual town center.
Katy needs a real mall. It's tiresome to have to drive to MCM for Macy's and Dillard's, while other suburbs have them in their neighborhood!

La Centerra is fine when temps are in the 90s, but direct sun in the mid-upper 100s (especially midday) keeps people away. Air Conditioning in the summer is the other service malls provide.

Quote:
Arlington, Plano, Irving.....where are the Airports for these cities?
To be fair, DFW airport is much closer to Arlington than Dallas or Fort Worth. Being accustomed to the rational Houston freeway layout, it's very difficult to navigate the spaghetti bowl freeway system in the Metroplex with splits of either route number or freeway names. Arlington is a straight shot, while Dallas or Fort Worth gets complex using the Airport Freeway.

Old 07-19-2021, 07:27 AM

268 posts, read 179,959 times
Who does malls and department stores anymore? LOL

Old 07-20-2021, 02:05 AM

5 posts, read 4,775 times
Voted for The Woodlands, but I'm biased. The doctors there saved my dad's life after a pretty serious emergency. I've spent the last 13 years in Midland, where people die for no good reason in the hospital because the Midland doctors are not great. It feels like there is a very strong quality of life in The Woodlands. You gotta love the emphasis on keeping as many trees as possible.

Old 07-21-2021, 03:39 PM

87 posts, read 43,635 times
I voted The Woodlands, Sugar Land is a close second.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:52 PM

223 posts, read 140,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
First of all I never called them satellite cities, I specifically stated if they took it much further they would become satellite cities, recognizing that they weren’t there yet. I already listed things Irving and Arlington have that Dallas doesn’t. Nearly half of the Fortune 500 companies in Dallas area are in Las Colinas neighborhood not even scattered around Irving. Dallas city has one more, but their not all located in Downtown Dallas. If you want to work at the HQ of the two biggest DFW companies guess what, you have to go to Las Colinas. That is something the city of Dallas cannot offer.
I'm not going to respond to all this drivel....but the bolded made me laugh.

There is a Fortune 10 HQ (AT&T) located in Downtown Dallas with a gigantic public space for visitors and residents.

and this hair splitting between suburbs and city is what people do on this forum.
Your post should state that if you want to work at the HQ of Exxon or Mckesson then they are located in the Las Colinas section of Irving. An inner ring suburb that is about 10 minutes away from downtown.

To state "That is something the city of Dallas cannot offer" is a very slick way of trying to imply that you can't work for a large corporate HQ in the city of Dallas, or downtown Dallas.

Last edited by Nuclear Bear; 07-28-2021 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-28-2021, 04:17 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,579,684 times
Quote:

There is a Fortune 10 HQ (AT&T) located in Downtown Dallas with a gigantic public space for visitors and residents.

and this hair splitting between suburbs and city is what people do on this forum.
Your post should state that if you want to work at the HQ of Exxon or Mckesson then they are located in the Las Colinas section of Irving. An inner ring suburb that is about 10 minutes away from downtown.

To state "That is something the city of Dallas cannot offer" is a very slick way of trying to imply that you can't work for a large corporate HQ in the city of Dallas, or downtown Dallas.
Actually, to help you out even more, If you want to work for the biggest DFW company, go to Spring, TX. That’s where most of their high paying employees are.

Houston and Dallas both have a mix of suburban and urban employees. Most of the very large companies in Houston are in the suburbs too. Even if you stick to just the soul headquarters, Houston’s biggest company is in West Chase which is very suburban despite being in Houston. Sysco and Hewlett Packard Enterprise are next which are in Energy Corridor and Spring respectively, also not urban. There’s exceptions in both but in general Houston and DFW have mostly suburban campuses.

It should be noted that AT&T will no longer be a F10 company because they sold off all of their media assets to Discovery which was a HUGE revenue driver for them. This isn’t a bad thing at all btw, that acquisition didn’t make sense in the first place.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 07-28-2021 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-30-2021, 06:54 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,070,030 times
Quote:

I'm not splitting hairs, Dallas like Houston is a large city. Saying Las Colinas is like 10 minutes away (it's more like 15 minutes or 14 miles to Downtown Dallas but that's actually splitting hairs), is akin to saying, well I live in Hutchins, that's basically the same area as Highland Park. I said their are more Fortune 500 companies "HQed" in Las Colinas than Downtown Dallas, even if you add the two in nearby Uptown areas, their tied. It is a fact that the taxes from these companies end up going to the City of Irving, and not the City of Dallas. Irving, then put's the money from these large firms back into their city. As far as I know Dallas isn't getting paid. I never said you can't work for a large corporate HQ in Dallas. I'm not even anti-Dallas. I think it's a great city and metro area, and I would struggle to say it isn't the best metro overall in Texas.

Like, I said I'm not a Houstonian that thinks this is something exclusive to Dallas, or is a slight. All cities including Houston have things their city can't offer. the American exception is places like Jacksonville where 90% of the metro lives in the city.

Try to find a lower middle class or poor neighborhood that isn't a shooting gallery in the City of Houston... The suburbs have those in spades, when compared to the actual city, now many of these towns may not be the safest communities, but are far more livable than a similar income neighborhood in the city, even with it's massive borders. About the only exceptions that come to mind is Spring Branch, maybe portions of Briarforest area, maybe sections of the city outside the East Loop (Meadowbrook/Allendale, Northeastern Portion of the Loop and Northshore), don't have as much shootings as other parts of the city. But even then, normally other crimes are still significantly higher than in many of the suburbs.

Even simple things, such as my favorite restaurant in the entire world, is The Spanish Tavern in Newark, New Jersey. My parents even like it better than all of the authentic Spanish food, in Spain that they tried.

I.e, a common statement in my family is the best Paella is in New Jersey. While Newark, isn't a suburb, it's not New York City.

The most obvious example of complete suburbs is the Greater Manila area in the Philippines, both the largest business district and the largest actual city by size and population are outside of Manila's tiny boundaries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston