Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 06:30 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,495,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
You can definitely find a nice house in Sugar Land in New Territory or Greatwood for $200K. Go to HAR.com and use zip code 77479.
You can still find great places in Barrington Place also on the north side (where we used to live). The Kempner track is the most underrated in FBISD.

Old 10-22-2012, 06:34 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,756,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OducksFTW! View Post
So what you're saying is... if we can't afford CA than we should settle for TX?

The one major negative that people have leveled against CA on this thread is that the cost of living. There might be a few more negatives might be justified but the bottom line is California is a highly desirable place and due to its physical geography has limited space for every household to have a ginormous house. Hence the prices go up...

Now Texas(Houston) has its problems, from the mosquitoes, to the weather, to the crappy beach, to the greedy developers etc.

But the only argument you and others like you have made when comparing to California is that Texas is cheap...

Then we can all solve this bickering quite easily with one sentence....

You get what you pay for.
No, that's bullsh*t. Economics is only one of the knocks against CA. There is a difference between saying something is expensive and saying something is over valued. I don't think CA is expensive. I think it's over valued. You simply get no value for the same amount of money. Also, people talk about the divide between the rich and the poor in TX all the time. The divide in CA is multiples of that. Sure, living in CA on the beach is great. But most people don't. I have no problem for paying up to live somewhere nice. I use to live in NY. I lived both in a sh*thole and then somewhere nice. The problem with CA is you don't get what you pay for. The economy is done there. The government is absurdly corrupt. Crime is out of control. The schools are pathetic.

OK, so TX has mosquitos. Nice comeback! And greedy developers? Dude. Have you seen the crap developers built out on Cali in the desert with the lowest quality construction? Come on man. Get serious. Look, CA was awesome in the 70's and 80's. It peaked. They got greedy, the state over spent. And now most of the major industries have left. You know at one time Detroit was the wealthiest city in the US. Look at it now. Every dog has it's day. California's has long past.

And one more thing, your last comment, you get what you pay for? No, actually you don't. TX you get FAR MORE then what you pay for. CA you get FAR LESS. I don't mind paying up, just don't rip me off.

Old 10-22-2012, 07:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,216,800 times
Quote:

The one major negative that people have leveled against CA on this thread is that the cost of living. There might be a few more negatives might be justified but the bottom line is California is a highly desirable place and due to its physical geography has limited space for every household to have a ginormous house. Hence the prices go up...

Now Texas(Houston) has its problems, from the mosquitoes, to the weather, to the crappy beach, to the greedy developers etc.

But the only argument you and others like you have made when comparing to California is that Texas is cheap...

Then we can all solve this bickering quite easily with one sentence....

You get what you pay for.
As far as Houston, Forbes and Kiplinger disagree.

Houston Tops Our List Of America's Coolest Cities - Forbes

Kiplinger.com

Kinda bad when your own media is telling you to move to Texas:

Californians Might Want to Consider Moving to Texas | NBC 7 San Diego

Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,399,273 times
Quote:
TX is not cheap...it is a normal COL vs. CA which is an overpriced COL.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:15 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,318,809 times
If your priority is weather and being around a lot of tourists then Ca is for you.....if you can live in a small place and dont mind spending time in your car. When the weather is so great who wants to be in doors..... also its helpful if you have a trust fund and dont need a job...

Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If your priority is weather and being around a lot of tourists then Ca is for you.....if you can live in a small place and dont mind spending time in your car. When the weather is so great who wants to be in doors..... also its helpful if you have a trust fund and dont need a job...
Come on now this is not true. If you are a professional and make a decent living you can afford to live in CA. The reason is because if you are a professional they pay you 3 times more than any other state for the same job...unfortunately they have to or they could not attract talent.

I live in Northern CA and I am not around tourists unless I head to San Francisco's Fisherman's Warf or the Embarcadero.

It helps if you have a partner and share a house together!

I love Houston and I really enjoy living in CA but the issues plaguing the state have me worried about living here long term.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,318,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Come on now this is not true. If you are a professional and make a decent living you can afford to live in CA. The reason is because if you are a professional they pay you 3 times more than any other state for the same job...unfortunately they have to or they could not attract talent.

I live in Northern CA and I am not around tourists unless I head to San Francisco's Fisherman's Warf or the Embarcadero.

It helps if you have a partner and share a house together!

I love Houston and I really enjoy living in CA but the issues plaguing the state have me worried about living here long term.
I will challenge the pay you three times what you can make in Houston. I grant you most jobs in Houston wont be in NCa....but as a head hunter for oil and gas engineers, I know a Petroleum Engineer makes no where near double much less three times what they make it Ca. I have worked with a number of IT executives from NCa who wanted out and decided on Tx. I should not have generalized about all Ca being superficial and care about weather and scenery. If any one place was perfect everyone would want to live there and it would be too crowded to be nice.. so you CA lovers should thank Texans for not wanting to live out there...rather than come run down Tx when you have your own forum.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:22 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,190,647 times
I lived in Southern California for five years and now have been here for five years and wouldn't go back to California for anything. Our mortgage on our 4 bedroom home is less than the rent on our two bed apartment. Car insurance is cheaper, I have teenage boys that is a huge deal. We have a huge backyard that other than August, we spend every minute we can in. Mosquitos, yes they are a pain but with adequate yard spraying and off they are usually tolerable.

Hurricanes yes they are scary and a reality here. Not really sure why the previous poster in Kingwood evacuated but we left from Clear lake area and only went as far as IAH area. Yes we were without power for well over threeweeks but it was manageable with our neighborhood banding together.

All in all I wouldn't trade a mountain view for my lovely home for anything.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,216,832 times
I'm not from CA, but did live there. Native New Yorker, here.

Houston is a great town. Love it here.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I will challenge the pay you three times what you can make in Houston. I grant you most jobs in Houston wont be in NCa....but as a head hunter for oil and gas engineers, I know a Petroleum Engineer makes no where near double much less three times what they make it Ca. I have worked with a number of IT executives from NCa who wanted out and decided on Tx. I should not have generalized about all Ca being superficial and care about weather and scenery. If any one place was perfect everyone would want to live there and it would be too crowded to be nice.. so you CA lovers should thank Texans for not wanting to live out there...rather than come run down Tx when you have your own forum.
I make 6 figures in CA. In Houston to do the same job I made 1/3 of what I make now. Heck I made 10K less for the same job in Austin, TX than I did in Houston. I am in the medical profession.

My partner is a Product Developement Project Manager in Silicon Valley and he was offered 25% more to do the same job then what he made in Houston...and he is NOT in IT.

If you need I can scan my paycheck stubs from Houston and the ones I have from CA and email them to you if you need more proof. I accept your challenge gladly!

Not sure what you are being so defensive about.

I am not a CA Cheerleader. CA has it's issues but it is not all about the sterotype you previously posted. CA has many issues that most Texans could not fathom...I never had to worry about the things that I worry about in CA as far as the economy is concerned. Including many other issues.

BTW I am the #1 TX Cheerleader on the CA forum. Especially for the city of Houston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston