Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,082,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
And to qualify for the H1b you must have a degree.
not true
my wife did nto have a degree when she got her H1B, she got it while here on a F1 visa. she worked while at texas a&m and then after she got her degree she was sponcored by her new employer and got an H1B1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 12:36 PM

567 posts, read 1,621,650 times
Quote:
No, he can not. He is not the primary holder. The F1 visa holder could do it. But they can only work on campus.

F1 visa holder can also legally work off campus if they participate in CBT program. To do that they have to get their I-20 form updated every semester. There is a limit on amout of hours they can work during regular semester. Best thing to go talk to the international department at your school. My wife had to do that while she was on the F1 visa and it was pain in the a$$.

As to entering the country with a valid F1/F2 visa, that should be no problem. Just make sure that you are registered for classes for next semester and that your I-20 form is not expired.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:10 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
not true
my wife did nto have a degree when she got her H1B, she got it while here on a F1 visa. she worked while at texas a&m and then after she got her degree she was sponcored by her new employer and got an H1B1
You just said it.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
F1 visa holder can also legally work off campus if they participate in CBT program. To do that they have to get their I-20 form updated every semester. There is a limit on amout of hours they can work during regular semester. Best thing to go talk to the international department at your school. My wife had to do that while she was on the F1 visa and it was pain in the a$$.

As to entering the country with a valid F1/F2 visa, that should be no problem. Just make sure that you are registered for classes for next semester and that your I-20 form is not expired.

You must prove financial hard ship. And only after the first year.They don't just let you do it.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
You must prove financial hard ship. And only after the first year.They don't just let you do it.
Nope. For my wife at UH is was not only about hardship. She had absolutely no hardship so she didn't even try for that. But, she needed to show that it is something required for her degree. Another option give was to sign up for a COOP program through the engineering school. Again, it was painful to try to get all the paperwork correct. After you finish school you can apply for OPT and work here for a year before heading back to your country or getting sponsored for employment. Best thing is talk directly to school, because that is who updates the I-20 form with the SEVIS. But, don't ever work unless you're approved.

Last edited by Oskar_Z28; 06-03-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-03-2009, 02:56 PM

441 posts, read 1,326,832 times
Quote:
No, he can not. He is not the primary holder. The F1 visa holder could do it. But they can only work on campus.

Not true. Quoting "....educational background or its equivalent to qualify as an H-1B skilled worker"

Old 06-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Nope. For my wife at UH is was not only about hardship. She had absolutely no hardship so she didn't even try for that. But, she needed to show that it is something required for her degree. Another option give was to sign up for a COOP program through the engineering school. Again, it was painful to try to get all the paperwork correct. After you finish school you can apply for OPT and work here for a year before heading back to your country or getting sponsored for employment. Best thing is talk directly to school, because that is who updates the I-20 form with the SEVIS. But, don't ever work unless you're approved.

That is something else. That's optional practical training.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
Not true. Quoting "....educational background or its equivalent to qualify as an H-1B skilled worker"

There are only 65k visas. I think 130 000 people applied last year. Yes, you can use work experience you have. I think it was 3 years for each year in College. That would be 12 years of work experience in that field. No employer is going to pay thousands of Dollars and waits a year for you if you don't have a strong educational background.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 PM

There is CPT and OPT - 2 different things. Read here if you're confused:

http://www.issso.uh.edu/PDF/F1Employ...rEmployers.pdf

Old 06-03-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
There is CPT and OPT - 2 different things. Read here if you're confused:

http://www.issso.uh.edu/PDF/F1Employ...rEmployers.pdf

I am not confused That is part of the F1. You can not work wherever you want.
The HB1 is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: