Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 07:27 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,937,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Kylie Jenner and Kourtney Kardashian have certainly brought positive publicity here. But I think Drake, Travis Scott and James Harden have done a bit more.

I’m definitely glad the days of JJ Watt being the #1 chearleader are behind us. That was annoying
What was annoying about JJ? So he's not big with the urban trendy / hip hop / Instagram community, but that doesn't matter, since that community just isn't very relevant. I didn't think JJ is a god or anything, but he seemed a net positive to me for the city.

Now, I don't follow shallow celebrities, but even I don't understand how someone could find JJ Watt less annoying than a Kardashian.

Glitzy trendy celebrities talk up Miami all the time, right? (At least, that's the impression I have from this forum.) Does that somehow make Miami a better place? I struggle to see how Miami is appealing because of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2021, 07:53 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Kim and Khloe were boo'd when the announcer at a Mav's game mentioned they were in attendance when Khloe lived in Dallas. I guess people just don't care about that stuff as much here in Dallas. Kourtney also lived in Dallas for a small time when she went to SMU. The family does have a connection to Texas.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:15 PM

9,874 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
What was annoying about JJ? So he's not big with the urban trendy / hip hop / Instagram community, but that doesn't matter, since that community just isn't very relevant. I didn't think JJ is a god or anything, but he seemed a net positive to me for the city.

Now, I don't follow shallow celebrities, but even I don't understand how someone could find JJ Watt less annoying than a Kardashian.

Glitzy trendy celebrities talk up Miami all the time, right? (At least, that's the impression I have from this forum.) Does that somehow make Miami a better place? I struggle to see how Miami is appealing because of that.
Glad you asked.

I’ll start by saying the Kardashians aren’t Houston cheerleaders and I wasn’t referring to them in the JJ Watt comment. If the Kardashians are cheerleaders for any place, it would be LA though I wouldn’t call them LA cheerleaders either. However, their connections and frequent visits to Houston have affected the radar and that’s why they were mentioned. But they aren’t Houston cheerleaders. Houston cheerleaders are Drake, Travis Scott and James Harden. And I was saying I am more annoyed by Watt than that trio.

That said though, I do get more annoyed by Watt than the Kardashians regardless and I’ll explain why. Im more so annoyed by how the media treats JJ than I am by the guy himself. But the way Watt manipulates the media made him partly to blame. This ultra humble, hard working, community saving, outstanding citizen image that media gave Watt just doesn’t reflect him. The Kardashians are the humble ones (joking). The Kardashians aren’t that at all either, but neither them nor the media claims it to begin with. So, atleast they are more sincere. And what I least understand about the Watt hype is where was that love (at the time) for Harden. I would 100% say he did more than Watt did. He monetarily donated more (from his personal wealth) and he did more physical work. Harden returned to Texas during the Winter Storm even after he left the team and the fans all booed him. Where was Watt?

I’ll add something else. I don’t particularly think Watt is a racist man, or atleast I don’t know that he is. But Watt didn’t help the people that needed help most. In the end, his “fund raiser” turned into giving what was left to a bunch of major corrupt charities.

The local humanitarian image now goes to Trae and he was earned his awards and grants that came with them and secured sponsorship deals and sat down with Steve Harvey for it. In the end, the media got it right and the spotlight left JJ and I’m glad it did.

Now, on the Houston chearleader thing, I much prefer the trio mentioned above than Watt any day and apparently so does the audience because they are dwarfing Watt’s peak.

Quote:

It does for Miami for sure. Unlike Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, etc…, Miami is a place that’s an actual celebrity and thrives on this and is one of the most desired destinations to be in USA.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
So he's not big with the urban trendy / hip hop / Instagram community, but that doesn't matter, since that community just isn't very relevant.
Do you mind explaining this? The trendy Instagram community isn’t relevant?? Compared to JJ?? Am I reading you wrong?

Old 10-03-2021, 08:37 PM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
I frankly hope not. Having grown up in LA and recently been to Atlanta, I like being a chill place where people can just be themselves.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I frankly hope not. Having grown up in LA and recently been to Atlanta, I like being a chill place where people can just be themselves.
Celebrities or not, this is going to fade over time. Hopefully not completely, but that’s just a cyclical thing. When I was a kid and first arrived here it was different than it is today. Generational shifts change social landscapes wether you like it or not. It’s not just about the media. When I was a kid, there were very few luxury hotels in the city now there’s a corridor booming with luxury hotels and shops. You go to bars and clubs there’s simply a classist environment where those who appear richest, dress best and spend the most money get the most respect. I don’t know what Houston of the 90s and prior was like, but from what I hear it’s much more down to earth than today. Cyclically, generations change landscapes. That empty lot in midtown is now an upscale Whole Foods. Those quiet apartments on Westheimer @ W loop are now the River oaks district. This stuff just happens. Regardless of that, it’s not LA and won’t be for an extremely long time. And if the vibe there is becoming too classist for you, you have the option to move to a more down to earth suburb like Cypress.

Even in LA, there’s plenty of places that are down to earth. They may not be the middle of the city but they exist there.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Kim and Khloe were boo'd when the announcer at a Mav's game mentioned they were in attendance when Khloe lived in Dallas. I guess people just don't care about that stuff as much here in Dallas. Kourtney also lived in Dallas for a small time when she went to SMU. The family does have a connection to Texas.
Lots of sports fans are the type of people that spit at and harass players while they're just trying to do their job, so yeah...

As far as celebrities go, the Kardashians seem like nice enough ladies that bother no one. They boo'd because they're haters.

Old 10-03-2021, 09:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 776,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Having lived in Texas and Atlanta, also visiting Los Angeles, I think people are more or less the same everywhere. I don't agree with the notion that Houston being a less stylish city necessarily makes it more authentic.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:56 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,621,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Even though you’re exaggerating, I agree with your saying in this post, you’re just going overboard. But the bolded is far from the truth. You must’ve been been asleep during Musk’s announcement.
Were they though? I got the impression that a significant amount of Austinites were actually annoyed by the thought of Musk moving to Austin. Even though I'll say, Musk moving to a city could mean more to that cities local economy than most celebs moving to a city. You know there's a possibility that if someone like Musk moves to your city he'll bring the jobs and infrastructure with him.

With that said, I think Austin for the most part has moved past the honeymoon stage with celebrities adoring their city a long time ago. I remember when there was some giddiness when Sandra Bullock or Matthew Mcconaughey spoke highly of Austin but that was before Austin arrived on the national scene. Fast forward to celebs like Joe Rogan and Elon and it's like "Nah we're good!" for the most part. Or just indifferent about it.

Houston on the other hand, they lay the red carpet out for you. Slyvester might even give you a day just for breathing in Houston if you're a celebrity.

Old 10-04-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Were they though? I got the impression that a significant amount of Austinites were actually annoyed by the thought of Musk moving to Austin. Even though I'll say, Musk moving to a city could mean more to that cities local economy than most celebs moving to a city. You know there's a possibility that if someone like Musk moves to your city he'll bring the jobs and infrastructure with him.

With that said, I think Austin for the most part has moved past the honeymoon stage with celebrities adoring their city a long time ago. I remember when there was some giddiness when Sandra Bullock or Matthew Mcconaughey spoke highly of Austin but that was before Austin arrived on the national scene. Fast forward to celebs like Joe Rogan and Elon and it's like "Nah we're good!" for the most part. Or just indifferent about it.

Houston on the other hand, they lay the red carpet out for you. Slyvester might even give you a day just for breathing in Houston if you're a celebrity.
Yes. They were. Sure, a large amount were annoyed. Like anywhere, some brag about it like the stereotypical Austinites who love saying they’re more like Cali than Texas and they’ll throw musk and what he’s doing in your face. It’s not all of them but it’s a lot of them.

Scroll up. In this thread some are apparently not liking it/don’t want it. Like when 50 cent moved here. Many laid the red carpet many said the same thing AsBelow and AcresHomrs said above.

Other than LA, NYC, Miami, Vegas, and maybe Atlanta where celebs are the norm, it’s 50/50
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston