Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 07:28 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,554,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Lets be clear, to you, diverse means a lot of Black residents. Houston MSA is much more typical of the country, about 17% Black vs. about 12% nationally and less white, only about 35%. Atlanta, by contrast, is not truly "diverse." It is very white/Black, about 50% white and 34% Black.
I mention I'm black and all of a sudden diversity in my eyes clearly means A LOT OF BLACK residents? As if I don't know what the hell diversity looks like. Clearly you don't if you think the WOODLANDS is diverse. We're talking the Woodlands here. The Woodlands is almost 70% White still. Aside from the Hispanic population( which a significant amount are affluent White Hispanics in the Woodlands specifically) every other group including Asian, Black and others are under 10%. The Woodlands is not lilly white. Like I said before it's not Branson,MO White (79.6) but no one can say The Woodlands is diverse either. Let's compare a suburb like Plano to the Woodlands for example. Plano has a low Black population yet Asian and Hispanic people are well represented in Plano. Plano would be considered more of a diverse suburb. Matter fact a city like San Jose with a very low percentage of Black residents is much more diverse than The Woodlands.

Also for frame of reference I'll compare the zip codes I lived in in Atlanta and where I live now in the Energy corridor to The Woodlands. And you tell me if The Woodlands belongs in that same category.

The Woodlands:
White: 69.9% Tot. Hispanic: 17.0% Asian: 5.9% Black: 4.5%

Atlanta (30341) zip code:
White: 45.15% Tot. Hispanic: 27.57% Asian: 9.56% Black: 14.31%

Houston (77077) zip code:
White: 43.9% Tot. Hispanic: 19.41% Asian: 12.99% Black: 20.1%

I'll also be more specific and use the zip code I lived in The Woodlands for a more specific frame of reference.

The Woodlands (77380) zip code:
White: 68.85% Tot. Hispanic: 19.43% Asian: 3.41% Black: 4.02%

Where I live now in Houston it's a true melting pot. It's the truest meaning of diversity. Do you know what that looks like? Also the city of Atlanta is very Black and White. The actual MSA is a lot more diverse than what people realize. Where me and my wife moved to in Atlanta was very diverse. Literally stayed 5 minutes from Buford Highway which is called international highway. Impressive no matter where you come from. I also worked in Gwinnett County which is the 4th most diverse county in the nation. Right behind Ft.Bend. So even though Atlanta isn't as diverse as Houston, I definitely didn't miss a beat while I was living there. The Woodlands-Montgomery county area is completely different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 10:40 AM

5,581 posts, read 4,842,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I mention I'm black and all of a sudden diversity in my eyes clearly means A LOT OF BLACK residents? As if I don't know what the hell diversity looks like. Clearly you don't if you think the WOODLANDS is diverse. We're talking the Woodlands here. The Woodlands is almost 70% White still. Aside from the Hispanic population( which a significant amount are affluent White Hispanics in the Woodlands specifically) every other group including Asian, Black and others are under 10%. The Woodlands is not lilly white. Like I said before it's not Branson,MO White (79.6) but no one can say The Woodlands is diverse either. Let's compare a suburb like Plano to the Woodlands for example. Plano has a low Black population yet Asian and Hispanic people are well represented in Plano. Plano would be considered more of a diverse suburb. Matter fact a city like San Jose with a very low percentage of Black residents is much more diverse than The Woodlands.

Also for frame of reference I'll compare the zip codes I lived in in Atlanta and where I live now in the Energy corridor to The Woodlands. And you tell me if The Woodlands belongs in that same category.

The Woodlands:

I'll also be more specific and use the zip code I lived in The Woodlands for a more specific frame of reference.

Where I live now in Houston it's a true melting pot. It's the truest meaning of diversity. Do you know what that looks like? Also the city of Atlanta is very Black and White. The actual MSA is a lot more diverse than what people realize. Where me and my wife moved to in Atlanta was very diverse. Literally stayed 5 minutes from Buford Highway which is called international highway. Impressive no matter where you come from. I also worked in Gwinnett County which is the 4th most diverse county in the nation. Right behind Ft.Bend. So even though Atlanta isn't as diverse as Houston, I definitely didn't miss a beat while I was living there. The Woodlands-Montgomery county area is completely different.
Yeah, a lot of folks ("folks" is still OK right? I don't have to write "folx"?) who live in Houston don't seem to realize the ultra-diversity of far west Houston, especially from Richmond up to the Katy Freeway. Literally anyone of any ethnic background could live or visit there and not feel like they stick out. I've told people that in the Parkway Villages Kroger, I find that even many of the white folks are speaking some other language that I can't identify.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:26 PM
bu2

23,858 posts, read 14,640,066 times
Quote:

The Woodlands:

Relative to the other top 10 metros, Atlanta MSA is pretty much Black and White. If you got culture shock from how "white" parts of Houston were, you must have travelled very little when in Atlanta. Houston is pretty integrated compared to Atlanta and Dallas, all 3 of which I have spent several years in.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:31 PM

9,733 posts, read 6,363,806 times
Quote:
Relative to the other top 10 metros, Atlanta MSA is pretty much Black and White. If you got culture shock from how "white" parts of Houston were, you must have travelled very little when in Atlanta. Houston is pretty integrated compared to Atlanta and Dallas, all 3 of which I have spent several years in.
But the woodlands isn’t which is what we’re talking about.

Old 01-24-2022, 11:30 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,638,146 times
Quote:

The Woodlands:

I used to live in 77077, and it was very diverse, and it’s only getting more diverse.

Old 01-25-2022, 03:30 AM

2,234 posts, read 5,465,136 times
Exclamation I remember....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I used to live in 77077, and it was very diverse, and it’s only getting more diverse.

I am surprised you are still here.

Old 01-25-2022, 07:45 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,554,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Yeah, a lot of folks ("folks" is still OK right? I don't have to write "folx"?) who live in Houston don't seem to realize the ultra-diversity of far west Houston, especially from Richmond up to the Katy Freeway. Literally anyone of any ethnic background could live or visit there and not feel like they stick out. I've told people that in the Parkway Villages Kroger, I find that even many of the white folks are speaking some other language that I can't identify.
Exactly and outside of the Inner Loop this is probably my favorite area of Houston MSA. And that's solely because it's so diverse. Hard to stick out and feel alienated in this part of the metro.

Quote:
We're literally talking about THE WOODLANDS not Houston. For some reason you got hung up on my initial post and assumed I was talking about the entire Houston MSA. This thread is about the Woodlands therefore I thought it was pretty obvious we're talking about THE WOODLANDS. Which btw, The Woodlands pride themselves on being different than the rest of Houston. And the feeling I got from some people that chose The Woodlands is that some of those differences has some racial undertones to it. And again it was a cultural shock to move from the part of Atlanta I lived in which was VERY IMPRESSIVELY diverse compared to THE WOODLANDS which is not diverse and definitely had less color when we moved back to Houston in 2017.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:58 AM

305 posts, read 255,483 times
Quote:
Exactly and outside of the Inner Loop this is probably my favorite area of Houston MSA. And that's solely because it's so diverse. Hard to stick out and feel alienated in this part of the metro.

We're literally talking about THE WOODLANDS not Houston. For some reason you got hung up on my initial post and assumed I was talking about the entire Houston MSA. This thread is about the Woodlands therefore I thought it was pretty obvious we're talking about THE WOODLANDS. Which btw, The Woodlands pride themselves on being different than the rest of Houston. And the feeling I got from some people that chose The Woodlands is that some of those differences has some racial undertones to it. And again it was a cultural shock to move from the part of Atlanta I lived in which was VERY IMPRESSIVELY diverse compared to THE WOODLANDS which is not diverse and definitely had less color when we moved back to Houston in 2017.
I guess you could say a percentage of white people prefer living among other white people? Kind of like the hundreds of posts on CD for people looking for "upper middle class black neighborhoods", "great place for Asians", "Middle Eastern looking for area with mostly middle-eastern population". Insert whatever group you want.

Having grown up in Sugar Land, and still residing in Fort Bend County, it's very clear that even though the county is very diverse (which spans more than just race) most races (not just white people) do have a preference of living among people most similar to them. Sugar Land is heavily Asian and Middle Eastern. Pockets of Richmond and its ETJ are heavily Hispanic, but then Pecan Grove is relatively white. Rosenberg (including ETJ) has heavy Hispanic areas. Missouri City, has heavily black areas. Fulshear - lots of white people. The county, as whole, is diverse, but people still seem to gravitate towards their own.

Old 01-25-2022, 12:23 PM

12,733 posts, read 21,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I am surprised you are still here.
Huh

Old 01-25-2022, 05:01 PM
bu2

23,858 posts, read 14,640,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
But the woodlands isn’t which is what we’re talking about.
There are plenty of areas in Atlanta metro like the Woodlands, so its hard to believe the other poster got "culture shock."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston