Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 04:52 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_guerrajr View Post
TSMC is already working on a new plant in Arizona.
Rumor is Intel will get a nice kickback for also kicking it off.

But they take time to be built and also provide supply. Hence late 2024 / 2025 before it begins to show it's skin.

Will it be producing the obsolete car chips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Thing is, building a new fab is EXPENSIVE, you just don't need the latest equipment to produce big and slow automotive chips, so having the brand spanking new fab with the latest in machinery produce old-style chips that cost pennies is not financially sound.

I think the automakers are going to have to revamp to use newer chips or invest in their own chip production. I don't expect these old-style chips will be costing pennies going forward.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Call Joe Myers Toyota. Ask to talk to Mike Gundy. He's the one that I talked to, a pleasure to deal with.

Thing is, I don't really want to "talk" to anyone. Too many potential issues with that.

Old 01-11-2022, 05:27 PM

501 posts, read 303,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Thing is, I don't really want to "talk" to anyone. Too many potential issues with that.
I called Mike Gundy. Explained what I am looking for. He looked at what they have and what is expected to come in and gave me the price. The out-of-the-door price. That was the "talk".

Old 01-11-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I called Mike Gundy. Explained what I am looking for. He looked at what they have and what is expected to come in and gave me the price. The out-of-the-door price. That was the "talk".

I don't have confidence that I can deliver a list of requirements over the phone and the other party will remember them all correctly. Most can't seem to even remember them when they are written down. I don't have confidence that the other party's price is for the exact vehicle I requested. And if I get to the dealer and the price on the sales form is not the price quoted over the phone, I have no proof what was quoted. There's a reason why the actual sales transaction is a written contract and not a verbal discussion.

And if I'm getting quotes from 5 different places there's no way I'm going to remember who said what.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:25 AM

305 posts, read 265,820 times
Quote:
I don't have confidence that I can deliver a list of requirements over the phone and the other party will remember them all correctly. Most can't seem to even remember them when they are written down. I don't have confidence that the other party's price is for the exact vehicle I requested. And if I get to the dealer and the price on the sales form is not the price quoted over the phone, I have no proof what was quoted. There's a reason why the actual sales transaction is a written contract and not a verbal discussion.

And if I'm getting quotes from 5 different places there's no way I'm going to remember who said what.
5 places seems a bit extreme, in my opinion - I feel like you're over-complicating this. Nobody's really doing much in the way of discounts, the bigger thing would be who's over MSRP or has some stupid $4995 "pro pack" or whatever. But if you need everything in writing, then why not inquire over the internet where everything from start to finish is in writing. Go in, sign docs, leave with vehicle.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtxg View Post
5 places seems a bit extreme, in my opinion - I feel like you're over-complicating this. Nobody's really doing much in the way of discounts, the bigger thing would be who's over MSRP or has some stupid $4995 "pro pack" or whatever. But if you need everything in writing, then why not inquire over the internet where everything from start to finish is in writing. Go in, sign docs, leave with vehicle.

I feel like you're oblivious to the inventory shortage and don't understand that checking only 5 places already makes the odds against finding the specific configuration you want in the current market.

I'm not concerned about discounts. I'd sign on the dotted line today for MSRP for the configuration I want. Like you said, most want to add on high-profit packages and options. For the Tacoma, the "black out package", where they cover up all the nice trim with black decals, vruns about $500. It's fugly to me and I wouldn't want it if it was free.

Inquire over the internet? That's EXACTLY what I am trying to do. See link for example. They all use the same website software and look similar. I click on a big red button to Get Today's Price and it prompts for contact info and asks for preferred contact. It doesn't matter if I say Email, if I give a real phone number I immediately start getting calls. If I do get an email it's to say "call me", introducing themselves and how eager they are to help and wanting to set up a test drive. Everything but the Price. If you press on it til you get a price, and you will have to press hard, I guarantee it will be thousands more than the stated MSRP.

https://www.joemyerstoyota.com/new/T...2dfd5a471a.htm

Old 01-12-2022, 12:59 PM

Here's an example of the options markup from Joe Myers. I guarantee this wasn't mentioned in the website listing or I never would have even clicked for the price. I only got this quote after 3 or 4 exchanges. Over $7000 in options. Notice the $1500 Market Adjustment.

Joe Myers Toyota
19010 Northwest Freeway
Houston TX 77065
281-890-8700

2022 Tacoma-TRD OffRoad

PRICE
Vehicle base model $37,655.00
Total installed Packages & Accessories $7,001.00
Delivery processing / handling $1,270.00
Total MSRP* $45,926.00

TOTAL INSTALLED PACKAGES & ACCESSORIES
50-State Emissions $0.00
LED-Headlights and Fog Lights $485.00
Cargo-Bed Light. $179.00
Ball-Mount $79.00
Blackout-Package:
Tacoma-Blackout Package includes:Black Badge OverlaysBlack TACOMA Tailgate InsertBlack Exhause Tip. $399.00
Premium-Carpet Mat Set $245.00
Connectivity-Kit $59.00
Mud-Guards $159.00
Vehicle-Protection Package:
The-Vehicle Protection Package includesPaint Renewer Cleaner Paint Sealant Fabric Guard. $359.00
Black-Textured Step Tube $679.00
Power-Tailgate Lock $289.00
PROTECTION-PLATE $985.00
CLEAR-BRA $495.00
MARKET-ADJUSTMENT $1,499.00
WHEEL LOCKS- Precisely machined, weight- balanced alloy wheel locks help secure your wheels and tires against
theft. $595.00
WINDOW-TINT $495.00
Total Optional Equipment $7,001.00

Old 01-12-2022, 02:28 PM

305 posts, read 265,820 times
Quote:
I feel like you're oblivious to the inventory shortage and don't understand that checking only 5 places already makes the odds against finding the specific configuration you want in the current market.
Allow me to point out how oblivious I am: I work for dealerships (Ford, Toyota, Nissan, and GM). Specifically for my three GM stores, I do the ordering. I deal with constraints each consensus cycle. I am keenly aware of inventory shortages, delays, missing parts holds, etc. - more than you'll ever know.

That being said, if you need a Toyota store contact, PM me. I don't know the time-table to get a new Toyota (I handle rebate submission for them not ordering), but I know they're not selling above MSRP or adding 'market adjustment' stuff. Actually, come to think of it, I'm not really certain how ordering a Toyota works, because every Toyota shipped here is shipped to a Toyota distributor (in our area Gulf States Toyota), the distributor then adds accessories (steps, floor mats, TRD Pro stuff, etc) and then sends to dealerships.

Last edited by Jtxg; 01-12-2022 at 02:50 PM..

Old 01-12-2022, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtxg View Post
Allow me to point out how oblivious I am: I work for dealerships (Ford, Toyota, Nissan, and GM). Specifically for my three GM stores, I do the ordering. I deal with constraints each consensus cycle. I am keenly aware of inventory shortages, delays, missing parts holds, etc. - more than you'll ever know.

That being said, if you need a Toyota store contact, PM me. I don't know the time-table to get a new Toyota (I handle rebate submission for them not ordering), but I know they're not selling above MSRP or adding 'market adjustment' stuff. Actually, come to think of it, I'm not really certain how ordering a Toyota works, because every Toyota shipped here is shipped to a Toyota distributor (in our area Gulf States Toyota), the distributor then adds accessories (steps, floor mats, TRD Pro stuff, etc) and then sends to dealerships.

Well the point is, with inventory shortages it is very difficult to find a specific configuration if it doesn't happen to align with the most popular configurations so how is checking 5 dealers "extreme"? Toyota is responding to shortages by limiting the variety of configurations shipped. The "market adjustment" was with Joe Myers, one of the recommends in this thread. Again, the point is that as a consumer I don't know who is or is not playing such games. But the one common thread in those I've contacted via website looking for email responses all start calling and want me to call them.

What you say about a common distributor explains some things, though. I originally wanted a 6' bed and one guy told me "No 6' beds in Texas. Nobody in Texas region will have one." It's also impossible to find 4WD on the SR5 trim in Texas. On the other hand, I was looking in Kentucky/Indiana and an SR5/4WD is a common configuration. Maybe the climate? But 4WD seems to be much more common. I may have to go out of state for what I want. Unless I special order and wait for who knows how long.

Just as an extra rant, I really don't want the dealer addons for which there are cheaper aftermarket options. I don't need to spend $159 for cheap plastic mudflaps I can get on Amazon for $30 and install with two easily accessible bolts. I don't need $600 side rails I can get for $200 and easily install with about 6 bolts. On the other hand, options like power tailgate lock, which involve disassembly and wiring, are best left to the dealer. And I have no interest in trying to install window tint or paint protection film myself. It's tough enough to add a screen shield to a cellphone without getting bubbles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston