Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2022, 06:15 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times

Advertisements

FYI : absolute ownership of private property is a protected right, not a taxable privilege. Qualified ownership of estate ("real estate" "real property") is a revenue taxable privilege.
NO government instituted to secure endowed rights can tax, regulate or trespass them.
. . .
Don't believe me - go read law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 06:48 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
FYI : absolute ownership of private property is a protected right, not a taxable privilege. Qualified ownership of estate ("real estate" "real property") is a revenue taxable privilege.
NO government instituted to secure endowed rights can tax, regulate or trespass them.
. . .
Property taxes have been legally approved all the way to the SCOTUS, decades ago. What you think, what "read the law" says, is immaterial.

You can think what you want, but it doesn't help this conversation.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:51 AM

15,426 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
This was my thought also. I wonder how HCAD/Harris Cnty shows this info? Is it listed as arrears?
Not sure how this is reflected, other than the note that says multiple exemptions, which implies over 65, and a tax balance in arrears.

Old 03-12-2022, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
. . .
I am not going to bother reading some Sov Cit internet law site that bears no relation to reality. And, BTW, Black's Law Dictionary is not a law book, it's a ... dictionary.

Old 03-12-2022, 09:57 AM

60 posts, read 71,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Nosy neighbor - did you ask him?
Since I’ve offered to buy his house several times, uh yeah, I’ve asked him. He says he’s staying put until he is physically removed from the property. If giving a bleep that my property taxes are soaring while a few doors down from me gets away with not paying for TWELVE years, meanwhile his decaying house and overgrown yard is a blight on my street makes me “nosy” then ok, I’ll own it.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:00 AM

60 posts, read 71,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Is he over 65? There are provisions that allow owners over 65 to defer taxes. https://hcad.org/hcad-help/texas-fir...or-homeowners/
He is now 61 so that means he hasn’t paid a cent since he was 49.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidCenturyMania View Post
Talk to the County attorney about filing a lawsuit for unpaid taxes. Or, you can check to see if that's happened by going to the Harris County District Clerk's website, create an ID, then search for a civil case with the neighbor as the defendant. Sounds like it's time for him to lose the property at a tax sale.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:27 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,231,565 times
There has to be something we're not aware of. The local taxing entities, especially ISDs, do not let unpaid taxes linger for years.

We need... the rest of the story.

Old 03-12-2022, 01:22 PM

332 posts, read 260,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidCenturyMania View Post
Impressive! I’d be interested to hear how he pulled that off - I’ve never heard of anyone just not paying their prop taxes.

Old 03-13-2022, 05:58 PM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I am not going to bother reading some Sov Cit internet law site that bears no relation to reality. And, BTW, Black's Law Dictionary is not a law book, it's a ... dictionary.
This post reply resembles the proverbial three monkeys - see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.
And in case you were unaware, there is no such thing as a sovereign citizen. That's an oxymoron, not unlike a vegetarian cannibal.
And Black's Law Dictionary is a reference, not a law book. It has citations to the various judicial rulings that one can use.
.. . . ..
And if you're so sure that there are no sovereigns, call the Supreme Court and complain to them.

SOVEREIGNS WITHOUT SUBJECTS
“... at the Revolution, the sovereignty devolved on the people, and they are truly the sovereigns of the country, but they are sovereigns without subjects, and have none to govern but themselves. . .
“... In Europe, the sovereignty is generally ascribed to the Prince; here, it rests with the people; there, the sovereign actually administers the government; here, never in a single instance; our Governors are the agents of the people, and, at most, stand in the same relation to their sovereign in which regents in Europe stand to their sovereigns.”
- - - Justice John Jay, Chisholm v. Georgia, 2 U.S. 2 Dall. 419 419 (1793)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremec...CR_0002_0419_Z

People are sovereigns, and the government is their servant (not unlike a regent).

NOT SOVEREIGNS
"... the term 'citizen,' in the United States, is analogous to the term "SUBJECT" in the common law; the change of phrase has resulted from the change in government. ... he who before was a "subject of the King" is now a citizen of the State."
- - - State v. Manuel, 20 N.C. 144 (1838)

SUBJECT - One that owes allegiance to a sovereign and is governed by his laws.
...Men in free governments are subjects as well as citizens; as citizens they enjoy rights and franchises; as subjects they are bound to obey the laws. The term is little used, in this sense, in countries enjoying a republican form of government.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, p. 1425
(Note: there is only one country with a "republican form" of government)

There you have it - - -

There are people who are sovereigns, and there are citizens who are subjects of a sovereign.
They're mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston