Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2022, 10:30 PM

14 posts, read 23,606 times

Advertisements

Which is better for the same price?
1. Resale home in Bridgeland
2. New construction home in Bridgecreek or Avalon

Is there too much hype about Bridgeland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 03:33 AM

467 posts, read 777,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TO2Houston View Post
Which is better for the same price?
1. Resale home in Bridgeland
2. New construction home in Bridgecreek or Avalon

Is there too much hype about Bridgeland?
IMO it would depend on the age of the re-sale home. If you are looking at an outdated home in Bridgeland I would recommend going to speak with some builders in the community to consider your cost to build out how you would like.

Bridgeland is building the final phases of Cy-Fair ISD schools and will be finishing up in Parkland Village in the next 12-18 months. After these lots are built, everything in Bridgeland will be zoned to the new Waller ISD schools built in the community.

Regarding Bridgecreek and Avalon - I think these are both nice developments, but will not come close to the level of community compared to Bridgeland. The question I would ask myself is - would I use the amenities in Bridgeland? The trails, the lifestyle, etc?

Also something worth considering. Bridgeland is a true master planned community. Avalon & Bridgecreek are not. My biggest concern with builder developed communities is their monopoly on neighborhood pricing.

For example, back in 2015 when the oil market busted, many builder communities dropped pricing and it directly influenced 100% of the community. The master planned communities, such as Bridgeland, Towne Lake, etc saw price drops, but were not influenced by 1 builders pricing structure. Therefore your value is much more protected in a master planned community.

Also - right now, Bridgeland, Bridgecreek and Avalon seem to be zoned to the same schools. I would be willing to bet this changes in the future. Bridgeland schools are some of the highest rated in Cy-Fair ISD, so you need to consider the impacts of future re-zoning in Bridgecreek or Avalon.

The Avalon developments have done quite well throughout the greater Houston area and I would expect no different than how they performed elsewhere. I prefer the location of Bridgeland over Avalon / Bridgecreek off Fry Road.

What is the price difference between a new home the same size in Bridgleand, Bridgecreek or Avalon?

Old 10-08-2022, 07:00 AM

The price difference between a new home the same size in Bridgleand, Bridgecreek or Avalon is anywhere 75k upwards

Old 10-08-2022, 07:02 AM

Great points about monopoly of a single builder as well as potential rezoning of schools.

Old 04-23-2023, 03:35 PM

118 posts, read 48,409 times
Can anyone please share any knowledge and/ or thoughts on Bridgeland Central? It is supposed to be 925 acres of quasi-walkable mixed used commercial retail/ restaurants, office, and housing etc. and I’m told it is expected to function as sort of the Town Center for the whole of Cypress.

Last year a H‑E‑B (slated to open in late 2024) and a small office type building were announced, and are now under construction. Thus, I would have expected some more announcements by now, especially given that the development has always been part of the community master plan. The builders all keep adamantly touting that it will be a la the caliber and scale of The Woodlands Town Center also developed by Hughes.

I do know that the Woodlands Town Center (even without the mall) is quite impressive and suspect it took a lot of time over years to develop, but it is difficult to fathom the level and quality of that retail being replicated in Cypress. But I’d like to be wrong for I’m just starting to explore the possibility of purchasing a new townhouse in Bridgeland Central and am wondering if it would be a nice investment longer term. Thus, I’m trying to gain as much of a sense of reality to better inform my decision making, and therefore, would much appreciate any insight that anyone can offer.

Old 04-24-2023, 10:45 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybestself View Post
Can anyone please share any knowledge and/ or thoughts on Bridgeland Central? It is supposed to be 925 acres of quasi-walkable mixed used commercial retail/ restaurants, office, and housing etc. and I’m told it is expected to function as sort of the Town Center for the whole of Cypress.

Last year a H‑E‑B (slated to open in late 2024) and a small office type building were announced, and are now under construction. Thus, I would have expected some more announcements by now, especially given that the development has always been part of the community master plan. The builders all keep adamantly touting that it will be a la the caliber and scale of The Woodlands Town Center also developed by Hughes.

I do know that the Woodlands Town Center (even without the mall) is quite impressive and suspect it took a lot of time over years to develop, but it is difficult to fathom the level and quality of that retail being replicated in Cypress. But I’d like to be wrong for I’m just starting to explore the possibility of purchasing a new townhouse in Bridgeland Central and am wondering if it would be a nice investment longer term. Thus, I’m trying to gain as much of a sense of reality to better inform my decision making, and therefore, would much appreciate any insight that anyone can offer.
There was an apartment building and some limited retail space announced a couple years ago...not sure of the status of those.

Homes in The Woodlands started occupancy in 1974. It took another 20 years for The Woodlands Town Center to get the mall, and another 8-15 years for Market Street and other "downtown" retail to open plus the outdoor mall expansion.

There is still low population in the western half of the Bridgeland Central market area. That's going to change pretty quickly as new development happens on the northern Katy Prairie, though much of it may be more middle class than the affluence you see in Bridgeland itself. The timing and demographics will affect when and what kind of retail chooses to go into Bridgeland Central.

Old 04-25-2023, 05:33 AM

467 posts, read 777,928 times
Quote:

Bridgeland Central is planned to be the urban hub of Cypress with a similar development style as the Woodlands Market Street area. The Woodlands Market street is also around 920 acres of mixed use commercial development - the same size as Bridgeland Central.

The biggest difference is the total community size of The Woodlands compared to Bridgeland. The Woodlands covers 28,000 acres with 920 acres of commercial in the market street area. Bridgeland is 11,500 acres with 920 acres of commercial in their (future) market street area.

Cypress lacks a downtown urban area which is exactly what Howard Hughes Development is bringing to Bridgeland (and as previously posted all of Cypress / north Katy).

Ask any long time Bridgeland resident, this has been a long time coming. As LocalPlanner posted, there still needs to be rooftops added to the development to support this level of commercial development.

As of this week, it appears HEB and the Mass Timber Office Building have broken ground on Bridgeland Creek Parkway and 99. It's going to be exciting times in Bridgeland watching this grow.

https://www.bridgeland.com/village-g...fice-building/

Old 04-28-2023, 07:17 PM

118 posts, read 48,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
There was an apartment building and some limited retail space announced a couple years ago...not sure of the status of those.

Homes in The Woodlands started occupancy in 1974. It took another 20 years for The Woodlands Town Center to get the mall, and another 8-15 years for Market Street and other "downtown" retail to open plus the outdoor mall expansion.

There is still low population in the western half of the Bridgeland Central market area. That's going to change pretty quickly as new development happens on the northern Katy Prairie, though much of it may be more middle class than the affluence you see in Bridgeland itself. The timing and demographics will affect when and what kind of retail chooses to go into Bridgeland Central.
I’ve only been in the area now for about 3 years, so I appreciate the historical perspective on The Woodlands. Since it took over 30 years for the mall and Market Street town center to evolve, it would seem likely that it will take some time for Hughes to achieve something conceptually similar in Bridgeland. Holding firm with their vision to attract select higher end retailers and eateries may suggest the land remains undeveloped over a longer period. After all Gucci and Chanel boutiques don’t mushroom overnight like 7-11’s. On the other hand, will Hughes acquiesce under pressure over time to commence realizing appreciable return on their investment and allow the development to be overrun with typical power center retailers (that would readily jump at the chance to locate in such a development) such as Kohl’s, TJ Max, Target, Staples, etc, or heaven forbid, Walmart. In other words by bringing in the same stuff you see replicated every 5 - 10 miles.

I have no idea whether Houston metro can support another major upscale cluster located in the NW quad given all that is offered at River Oaks/ Galleria, The Woodlands, and maybe even considering Sugarland.

Perhaps Bridgeland Town Center ends up being something more solid to upper mid-level with some upscale elements, akin to a combination of the likes of Pearland Town Center and LaCenterra. This would still be a win for the growing Cypress/ N. Katy market bisecting 99 as it is sorely lacking even this quality of commercial development. However, it may not be viewed the same through the lenses of some Bridgeland residents expecting what was promised.

Retail will definitely follow roofs, and as you point out the demographics under those roofs will ultimately shape what type. Bridgeland’s population and affluent demographics will not be sufficient alone to fully determine and sustain whatever is to comprise the Town Center mix.

Old 05-01-2023, 10:15 AM

5,612 posts, read 4,932,339 times
Quote:
I’ve only been in the area now for about 3 years, so I appreciate the historical perspective on The Woodlands. Since it took over 30 years for the mall and Market Street town center to evolve, it would seem likely that it will take some time for Hughes to achieve something conceptually similar in Bridgeland. Holding firm with their vision to attract select higher end retailers and eateries may suggest the land remains undeveloped over a longer period. After all Gucci and Chanel boutiques don’t mushroom overnight like 7-11’s. On the other hand, will Hughes acquiesce under pressure over time to commence realizing appreciable return on their investment and allow the development to be overrun with typical power center retailers (that would readily jump at the chance to locate in such a development) such as Kohl’s, TJ Max, Target, Staples, etc, or heaven forbid, Walmart. In other words by bringing in the same stuff you see replicated every 5 - 10 miles.

I have no idea whether Houston metro can support another major upscale cluster located in the NW quad given all that is offered at River Oaks/ Galleria, The Woodlands, and maybe even considering Sugarland.

Perhaps Bridgeland Town Center ends up being something more solid to upper mid-level with some upscale elements, akin to a combination of the likes of Pearland Town Center and LaCenterra. This would still be a win for the growing Cypress/ N. Katy market bisecting 99 as it is sorely lacking even this quality of commercial development. However, it may not be viewed the same through the lenses of some Bridgeland residents expecting what was promised.

Retail will definitely follow roofs, and as you point out the demographics under those roofs will ultimately shape what type. Bridgeland’s population and affluent demographics will not be sufficient alone to fully determine and sustain whatever is to comprise the Town Center mix.
I don't recall ever seeing any promises from HH that Bridgeland Central would be "luxury". I've always had the impression they were going more for the Sugar Land Town Square / La Centerra level of quality or maybe slightly higher. Truly luxury-level retail is really hard to initiate most anywhere. Even The Woodlands didn't go there for a long time - you had Nordstrom, Tommy Bahama, and a "fancy" steakhouse as the top retail / restaurant options until at least the early 2010s. The luxury aspect has been a very recent phenomenon. It helps to have (1) the upscale hospitality sector established, which also requires a substantial corporate base, and (2) some executive-level neighborhoods like Carlton Woods and East Shore in The Woodlands.

I'm not sure either of those two things are really in the plans for Bridgeland, though things can evolve over time.

Old 05-21-2023, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
Any idea how often school rezoning happens in cfisd? I am guessing it is driven by enrollment relief plans. Currently, both Bridgecreek and Avalon have been rezoned to Cypress Ranch HS. Just worried if there is a possibility of future rezoning to Cypress Springs or Park HS school.

Also, noticed some portion of the Bridgecreek is in the 100-year flood plain. Not sure if it will impact future resale value.

thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston