U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:12 AM

11,313 posts, read 17,021,272 times
If Houston goes down, the rest of the country will be down with it. The city has diversified beyond oil and petrochemicals. The Medical Center is light years beyond what it was in the 1980s when the last bust hit, the port has increased in importance and the refineries will still be making gasoline and other stuff. Also, back in the 1980s Houston and Southeast Texas was trying to transition out of the production end of the oil business (we were pumping loads of oil here in the 70s during the embargo) to the corporate HQ/business suit and refining end. As long as somebody can afford gas, refineries will be making it. When the oil bubble bursts (and it will, perhaps sooner than later the way speculation is driving things up - we all know how that ends) some people are going to get laid off, but the city is not going to shut down. It might mean that some people who were looking to come here to escape problems at home will have to go back and try to take care of them, and that's OK. This city isn't as "booming" as it's made out to be. It looks pretty good compared to 80% or so of the rest of the country, which isn't anything to brag about these days. This has nothing on the wildcatter/roughneck era where people were piling in either to get rich or help someone else get rich. All that stuff is in OPEC's court now and Houston is just a branch office. People are more often than not coming here for big houses in the suburbs, bigger than they could afford at home, and oh, they happen to get a job here. It's just not the same.

As for this Phoenix thread, I've been lurking....haven't found a need to speak up lately. Let 'em do their thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:22 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,186,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
Hey The Phoenix Arizona forum has a thread on how Phoenix will surpass Houston as the 4th largest city and they are bashing us hard. I need some help defending the city here.
JD, why would we here in Houston, a world class city, care about what phoenix, a dusty hole in the ground, think of us? i did post something though just to show them how dumb they are though!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:26 AM

10,291 posts, read 6,070,061 times
Size isn't everything- is it?

Old 05-28-2008, 07:47 AM

315 posts, read 297,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Sorry, but you won't get any help from me. After living in H-town for many years I was lucky enough to get out some time ago and remain deeply ambivalent about Baghdad on the Bayou. As for Phoenix? Ugh! A pox on both your houses, I say.

Now if anybody starts bashing Boston, then they'll have a fight on their hands...
Boston is the worst city on earth and the worst city in the history of mankind.

Anddd I am ready to discuss on whatever terms you want. Mann, that will be an easy victory on my part.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:48 AM

315 posts, read 297,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I have always wondered what they will do here when the oil industry slows down.
In order for the oil industry to slow down, you have to convince the 3 billion people not to buy cars and not to travel.

It seems impossible if you ask me.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:03 PM

11,313 posts, read 17,021,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
haven't found a need to speak up lately. Let 'em do their thing.
OK, I lied....

Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 AM

7 posts, read 7,771 times
Yeah, let them keep bashing-Phoenix sucks big time! I've been to places in Kansas that wasn't this bad!

Old 04-11-2009, 09:48 AM

6,363 posts, read 9,187,749 times
Bash away baby!!! And, stop moving here!!!! In fact, anyone charitable to donate some mass transportation and we probably a few thousand choice residents we'd can give you to help you surpass us in population.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:55 AM

6,866 posts, read 12,480,551 times
This thread is almost a year old...wth?

Old 04-11-2009, 11:57 AM

338 posts, read 588,967 times
Who cares what the Phoenix posters have to say. Houston is an awesome city to be in whether Phoenix surpasses it population or not(very unlikely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston